rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Shields, Sopoaga and Carr
Old Geezer (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 22:14
I have taken to watching Super 14 more seriously to follow these guys.

Shields is a force, particularly in rucks but also in defence. great captain and leader with impressive engine.

Sopoaga is impressive although he is playing the Highlanders way which is different to ours. However he has shown me that he has the awareness and skill to adapt to us. Particularly aware when the long wide pass is required. Feel very positive.

We know about Carr but it is interesting that for Stormers, while wearing the 8 shirt he plays more like a 6 in many respects. Tends not to attack rucks like LOL used to and stays out wide a lot but seems just to be in the right place at the right time with great tackles and super running lines. Again feel very positive if we can get him.

Are these observations shared by others?

Re: Shields, Sopoaga and Carr
ClaretAndBlueWasp (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 22:28
I was watching the Highlanders game on Saturday morning and thought Sopoaga looked like a hybrid version between Cipriani and Gopperth which canít be bad bad thing. Looked very dependable with his kicks too.

Old Geezer (IP Logged)
19 March, 2018 22:33
i though the Highlanders would beat England. Quicker in everything they do including thought.

backdoc (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 09:28
And the Crusaders! And remember that the Blues beat the Lions.

FishingWasp (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:04
Quote:
Old Geezer
i though the Highlanders would beat England. Quicker in everything they do including thought.
+1. The faster pace in the game was noticeable, no only in comparison to England, but to most premiership clubs too, so he should suit Wasps.

welsh wasp (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:09
He might make us a little nervous occasionally with the length of his passes - but they all put the opposition on their back feet.
I recall Gareth Rees once sending the ball almost from one touchline to the other. That does make you nervous.

Old Geezer (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 12:44
I remember the Gareth Rees American Football type pass. Boy, that dates us, welsh wasp!!!!!!

backdoc (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 13:08
I remember one from a quick line-out in our 22: I think the target was Paul Sampson

DuncanS (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 13:13
GIven Sammoís notoriously quick Yorkshire temper, Reesy was probably aiming for his b0ll0x!

Boooo (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 13:27
Reesy started doing that at school level (as we had an American winger) and kick barefooted from behind the half way line when practising his kicking.

Quite a unique guy.

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
20 March, 2018 13:35
That takes me back to my school days. We had an American quarterback arrive into the team. He would simply toss the ball to our England U18 winger and it was a try. Over and over. Always spot on, as soon as he learned not to throw forwards!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net