rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Chiefs and Sarries - a different issue
Old Geezer (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:31
I don't know what others on here think but I am increasingly of the view that the rule changes brought in over the last few years which were designed to encourage more open rugby (e.g. favouring the attacking side at the breakdown) seem to me to have had the opposite effect. Because it is so much easier to retain possession at rucks teams commit fewer players to it and have them standing in mid field for bash bash bash. That has resulted in a mush more predictable and boring brand of rugby favouring sides, I think, with power rather than skill.

I would like to see the rules revert to encourage much more competition allowed at the rucks and breakdown, perhaps by relaxing the rules about entry and competition on the floor. Too many times penalties are awarded to the attacking sides leading to kicks to the corner, catch and drive and tries or yellow cards. Couple this with enforcements across the whole back line, not just around the rucks as at present, of the rear foot rule.

In the NH too many tackles are penalised for being high when there is not danger to the tackles player (something which is not policed as strictly in the SH) adds to the killing of the game. Too many penalties leading to the kicks to the corner etc.

I would be interested to hear what others think.

Lima had a good game this weekend and I think his distributional skills will suit Wasps very well.

Re: Chiefs and Sarries - a different issue
RossM (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:56
Reduce the number of subs. There are too many 50/60 minute players.

HenleyWasp (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 10:58
"Lima had a good game this weekend and I think his distributional skills will suit Wasps very well."

For the first time I would agree, hopefully see more over coming weeks.

waspie08 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:00
100% agree with this post. It also really affects England internationally and Prem clubs in Europe as there seems more leeway in those arenas in allowing a battle for the ball at the breakdown.We saw how badly England fared but hardly surprising if club teams are reffed out of any kind of contest. I though Tempest's reffing this weekend was a case in point where he theoretically applied the letter of the law but did not really allow the defending side any chance of a turnover, despite Jack Willis in particular seemingly getting hold of it a few times, and agree this only leads to defensive lines strung across the field and ever more bish-bosh.
Refs do seem to have a different approach in the Prem to the Celtic, SH or internationals, not sure why but it definitely hampers English chances and plays into the hands of power rather than skill.

John Tee (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:47
Quote:
RossM
Reduce the number of subs. There are too many 50/60 minute players.

I think this has had major impact on the game...
If someone had to stay on, they would have to train and manage their game better in order to be able to do so.
It would, I believe bring down the size of players because they may find it difficult to last 80mins. This may also cut down injuries of an impact nature...Although you might get more fatigue injuries. The latter would easier to manage as well.

matelot22 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:54
Quote:
Old Geezer
Couple this with enforcements across the whole back line, not just around the rucks as at present, of the rear foot rule.

Absolutely John, would love to good contest at the breakdown, but this statement above^, oh yes!! I bang on every Monday morning to my workmates about this. I'm sick of hearing commentators bang on about the great line speed of Sarries and Chiefs, er yes. Because they're all 2 metres offside from the third man out onwards.

will311293 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:56
the lack of time that is available for a turnover to take place is probably why it seems to be a dying skill in the NH. if the ref allowed a few more seconds for the defending team to effect a turnover, we might see a more open game.

Also another problem I see is attacking teams staying on their feet when clearing a ruck out. Often when an attacking team get near the opposition try line its far too east for them to dive over the ruck and provide no contest, especially when they have a penalty advantage. There needs to be tighter scrutiny around this as all teams can be seen to swarm the ruck and kill any contest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net