rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

The Box Kick
WickwarWasp (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:55
Forgive me if I'm being thick but please can someone explain what on earth is the point of the Box Kick? Unless the kicker is exceptionally good at getting it high enough and close enough to ensure his team mates can always compete, it seems to me it is heavily overused and nearly always succeeds only in gifting possession to the opponents

I'm not just talking about its use by Wasps (although our SH's spend a huge amount of time in pre-match practicing it) but by many of the Prem teams. Unless you have Conor Murray at SH it should be used only sparingly, if at all IMHO.

Re: The Box Kick
ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:01
The box kick if done well is an effective way to clear the lines and provide opportunity to recover from a good kick chase or frequent knock on from the defender if under pressure. Of course if done badly, you give easy ball to opposition. .....

It used to be Sarries only plan from defence and they are quite good at it......

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 15:02 by ricohchezwasp.

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:17
A good box kick to touch relieves pressure from the 22m.
A well chased kick can lead to re-gathering of the ball, through a catch or scrum as a result of a knock on etc.
BUT so often teams do kick the ball away, just to free themselves of responsibility to keep the ball and good teams can profit, by running it back into space. Overdone I agree, but it has its place if done well. Wigglesworth is superb at it.

Raggs (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:40
A box kick will also start 10m further forward than a kick from a 10 in the pocket. This means more players onside sooner and less distance to cover for the chase even assuming it goes to the same length, or it goes further which is still good.

Basically in a lot of cases, if a kick is the right choice, a good box kick will be better than a good kick by a player in the pocket.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:37
If the ruck is well setup, the scrum half is usually well protected as well, and therefore less chance of a charge down.

Ultimately though, I agree.
with our back 3, we should be grateful if teams ever kick to us, and I'm sure most teams will feel that their wingers are dangerous enough to benefit from any ball

Hangover (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:57
Watch Sarries v Bath from last week. Sarries box kick and chase was excellent and provides quite a lot of possession. Bath's just kicked the ball back to Sarries and allowed them to attack again. We fit somewhere in between, good days and bad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net