rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Brian Moore on Christian Wade
PhilH (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:20
From his Full Contact podcast: ďI've never felt that Christian Wadeís performances at Wasps have given me the confidence that he can do it on the international stage. The minor defensive lapses occur all too regularly.Ē

Re: Brian Moore on Christian Wade
ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:29
And yarde and may and Solomona are rock solid and Earle try scoring record is second to none

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Petergwilson (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:31
But it is Brian Moore and what he knows about rugby can be written on the back of a postage stamp.

RossM (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:49
Speaking as an ex-front row, backplay was always a mystery to me.

Westy68 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:17
Quote:
Petergwilson
But it is Brian Moore and what he knows about rugby can be written on the back of a postage stamp.

Peter I donít thing there is any need for that - the postage stamp is far to big.

Petergwilson (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:29
Yes but it was in block capitals and in crayon. (Sm128)

InbetweenWasp (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:43
Must have dug out an old note from a few seasons ago and thought he better use it or lose it. Itís clearly not come from watching Wadey consistently out-jump opponents for high-balls, or happily tackle the likes of George North.

Just like Cips canít tackle, is a rubbish place kicker and an immature, disruptive influence interested solely in celebrity status (Sm161)

John Tee (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 17:01
I don't think those issues stand up anymore....but he would be giving away weight and height to the biggest backs around. The lomu factor if you like.
If England were more dominant then they may decide Wade could skin most wingers and fullbacks and wouldn't concede too much in defence.
His defence has been huge this season but mud sticks...?

Spikey910 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 17:11
Well I disagree with you guys on Brian Moore, one of the more astute pundits in my view, and he may well be right on Christian. However, the deeply annoying thing is unless he's given a few chances at international level, no-one will ever know. One thing I think we all agree on is that he's earnt the right to at least be tried.

Hangover (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 18:32
Yeah I with you on this one Spikey. The thing with Wade is, he MAY get knocked of the odd tackle but he scares defences witless opening up space for others AND scores tries - whats not to like.

Vespulavulgaris (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 19:05
I tend to agree that Christian's defensive capabilities are not the best. But I also agree that that doesn't actually matter. Moore couldn't run a ball in from the halfway line jinking around several defenders. Dallaglio couldn't throw in to a lineout to save his life. Jason Robinson was a complete liability in the front row of the scrum.

Pick players because of what they CAN do, not what they can't. Especially if what they can't do isn't what they are there to do in the first place.

AKWasp (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 21:36
Just want to put this out there cause Iím struggling to answer this myself, on this seasons form:

Name English wingers who are better defensively than Wadey

Bridgnorthwasp (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 22:33
My thoughts on it when the squad was announced. Frustrated for him. [baldloser.uk]

bg (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 22:49
Quote:
Vespulavulgaris
I tend to agree that Christian's defensive capabilities are not the best. But I also agree that that doesn't actually matter. Moore couldn't run a ball in from the halfway line jinking around several defenders. Dallaglio couldn't throw in to a lineout to save his life. Jason Robinson was a complete liability in the front row of the scrum.
Pick players because of what they CAN do, not what they can't. Especially if what they can't do isn't what they are there to do in the first place.

Could be worse.. you could have Jonny May packing down at flanker

Where do I put my head?

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 00:05
Quote:
AKWasp
Just want to put this out there cause Iím struggling to answer this myself, on this seasons form:
Name English wingers who are better defensively than Wadey

Ben Cohen and Josh Lewsey!

Since them we, at national level, have been obsessed with defensive performance over attacking quality when picking wingers. And, when in doubt, pick the biggest player we can find.

Shugs (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 07:30
The Wade selection debate always has those against his selections pointing out his defensive frailties and he still has a few. Selection, however is not solely about just the individual it's about how they compare to others that are available. Defensively for me Wade is no worse than Watson or May. He's probably better than Yarde. Going the other way he's better than probably all three. I firmly believe if he was six foot three he'd be picked whether that increased his defensive ability or not.

Just (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 08:32
Unfortunately if he were 6' 3" he wouldn't be able to do those crazy things he does with his feet where he actually steps half the opposition and breaks tackles you were sure must be made, when you add to that an absolutely blistering acceleration.....

We had our Minis end of season tour at the Tigers Challenge in Minehead this year, one of the guest speakers was Neil Back, he encouraged the kids to believe that if you are good enough, you are big enough, sadly something that does not appear to have reached the RFU yet

1978Wasp (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:40
Interestingly, the BY Sports guys who may see more of Wade than BM does, all regularly acknowledge how much his defence has come on in the last couple of years.
To be fair, it has been to Wasps' benefit that E Jones does not rate C Wade, D Robson or D Cipriani as it means they have been playing for us during the international breaks. However, if I was one of the above 3 I would be v unhappy.
I do not think Jones would pick Jason Robinson if he was around at the moment, not big enough and could not kick.

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 15:46
Quote:
1978Wasp
I do not think Jones would pick Jason Robinson if he was around at the moment, not big enough and could not kick.

Having a rugby league background trumps every other selection criteria so Robinson would be fine!

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 17:37
This is an interesting one for me, Brian Moore does make some fair points about his defensive game, now I am not sure if those still really apply to him at the moment individually or if he is being tarred with the entire wasps team not being great defensively rather than his own individual issue but regardless defense is not his strongest point.

I do wish Wade was given a chance to at least show if he can play to the standard at international, sadly most coaches are not massive risk takers and he is seen as a risk on the wing rightly or wrongly, now I am not sure I agree with Brian Moore in saying that he won't be a success but I also disagree with most people here who feel Wade will be amazing at international level, the truth is we just do not know. Very few players and they are the exception to the rule and end up being the best of the best players can you point to and say that this player will be great at international level before they have really played. In recent times in England I really think only Itoje, Anthony Watson and Mako vunipola would fall into that category and further than England James Ryan, Reiko Ioane, Retallick, Etzebeth and Malcolm Marx, I would say in the last 6 years, those are the only players who I would have been willing to put any amount of money to say they would be successful at international level even from when they played at Junior level or a few games for their club side.

So basically I think both sides are in the extreme here, those who think Wade will be an exceptional success without acknowledging the fact that most people his size who are scrum halves are not successful at international level and Robinson and Williams are two exceptions and Moore is also not taking into account that Wade very well could be the exception to the rule also

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net