rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Team to play Saracens
GeorgeTheWasp (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 09:01
So the biggest game of the season so far is only 3 days away now - thought id have a crack at guessing the line up:

Front 5:
Pretty much picks itself I think. Mcintyre and Taylor injured, Gaskell may be back so I would expect:

Mullan
Cruse
JCW
Launchbury
Gaskell

Back Row:
Considerably more difficult. With Hughes back, he has to start. By the sounds of it, Dai was just wondering if it would be an 80 minute game from him or a 50/60 minute one so for me he has to start, give it his all then can bring on a fully fit Thompson for the end. Young has become a mainstay and for me Willis has cemented his place in the team and with the turnovers he brings, we can't leave him out so I'd go:

Willis
Young
Hughes

Backs:
A little bit easier to decide but still a few decisions to be made. Eastmond over Gopperth for me as I dont think we want to risk both 10s on the pitch if we can help it and last week Cips and Eastmond linked up brilliantly. Daly over Bassett but a fit and raring to go Bassett with 25 mins to go could be very useful!

Robson
Cipriani
Daly
Eastmond
De Jongh
Wade
Le Roux

That would mean a bench which could include some of Moore, Harris, Haskell, Thompson, Myall/Rowlands, Gopperth, Bassett, Gaby which looks pretty solid!

From reading around the Sarries board looks like Billy will play (if no further setbacks before the weekend) but possibly doubts about Liam Williams and Duncan Taylor. Going to be a very close one I think!

Re: Team to play Saracens
Anonymous User (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 09:28
Nathan off the bench. He's not often great first game back and Guy has been in terrific form. Also feel guy suits the game and pitch more and rather than throwing Nathan head to head with Billy we use guys speed to counter him. Then bring Nathan on when Billy is tiring.

Personally I'd start Ben Harris. Bit left field but I would. And I'd start rowlands and bring gaskell off the bench. Sorry kearnan.

You seem to have decided against a bench hooker. Ballsy move. Is that with mullan covering 2?

16 May, 2018 09:35
Thing is, I would rather give Nathan 60 mins to empty the tank and then bring on a 100% ready player than vice versa. Definitely a tough call but I expect Hughes will start..

Ben Harris starting I wouldn't be against but would we risk it in a semi?

I just said bench could include some of them so wasn't closing any doors winking smiley from what I've heard it could be TJ Harris on the bench and Cruse may play a full 80 if he can!

RossM (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:04
Jesus wept. How many time must I ask posters to put a question mark in the subject when their post is speculation and is not a statement of fact?

jonnydeane (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:10
Hughes will start on the bench i think. You would assume Haskell missed out but this is the kind of game we'll need him for in defence, chopping mako and Billy down, but then we need Willis for the turnovers.
Big call for gaskell to come straight back in ahead of either myall or Rowlands who have been very good, tough call this one for Dai.

WaspieKev (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:42
Hughes to start. If Billy V gets on a roll from the start we'll need to try and cut him down at source. Only Nathan can do that. Guy to come on once Nathan has given it his all.

Wightwasp (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:49
Quote:
RossM
Jesus wept. How many time must I ask posters to put a question mark in the subject when their post is speculation and is not a statement of fact?
It's pretty obvious it's speculation
Most people know the team won't be announced until Friday lunchtime!!!

backdoc (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:50
"Hughes to start. If Billy V gets on a roll from the start we'll need to try and cut him down at source. "

I think Haskell is the most effective here.

welsh wasp (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:50
RossM: the likelihood of Dai announcing a team on Wednesday is somewhat remote.

Wightwasp (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:53
What I find annoying is why are there 2 threads for the same thing?
Team for sarries
Team for Saturday
Surely the person who started the second thread must have seen the first one !!!!

wiltshire wasp (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:57
Quote:
Wightwasp
Team for sarries
Team for Saturday
Surely the person who started the second thread must have seen the first one !!!!

If you look at the time of the first posting for each thread the answer is clear.

Wightwasp (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:01
Quote:
wiltshire wasp
Quote:
Wightwasp
Team for sarries
Team for Saturday

If you look at the time of the first posting for each thread the answer is clear.
Blimmey fair point only 4 minutes between them

Phillywasp (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:09
Quote:
RossM

When it's rumoured transferred etc I agree.
When it's Wednesday morning and no reason for Dai to announce the team early, perhaps you could exercise your own common sense? If you're only looking for confirmed facts and not speculation, perhaps stick to the official site for your updates.

The interesting one for me is Hughes or Thompson.
A 100% Billy vs a 100% Hughes, Billy is the better player. We could try to negate that by starting with the different style of Guy. But an 80% Hughes is probably better than a a 50% Billy. We'll only have knowledge of how fit Nathan is.
For what it's worth I'd probably start Thompson. Not many teams beat sarries by being direct and trying to "out-sarry" them. Nathan can be an effective style and game changer when needed.

PhilH (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:19
Quote:
RossM

Clearly Hangover stole all of the available question marks for his alternative thread on the same subject!

Nomad_Wasp (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:47
Hughes will only have 20 minutes in the tank, I'd have thought.

I'd go with Hucks' team.

Witblad (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:51
Quote:
RossM

Please check your posts, old chap. It frustrates me when people write ‘time’ when they mean ‘times’ .

Please respect your fellow forum members. A bit of politeness costs nothing. I thought it was a great opening post and obviously not the actual team.

Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:10
Quote:
Phillywasp
Quote:
RossM

When it's rumoured transferred etc I agree.
When it's Wednesday morning and no reason for Dai to announce the team early, perhaps you could exercise your own common sense? If you're only looking for confirmed facts and not speculation, perhaps stick to the official site for your updates.

The interesting one for me is Hughes or Thompson.
A 100% Billy vs a 100% Hughes, Billy is the better player. We could try to negate that by starting with the different style of Guy. But an 80% Hughes is probably better than a a 50% Billy. We'll only have knowledge of how fit Nathan is.
For what it's worth I'd probably start Thompson. Not many teams beat sarries by being direct and trying to "out-sarry" them. Nathan can be an effective style and game changer when needed.

I think you make a good point, just to add, Billy had a slight niggle so could not play against Gloucester but he did play a little more than 20 minutes against London Irish 3 weeks ago so he has had game time and the last time he came back from a long break against wasps at the Ricoh, he was my man of the match. I don't think Wasps will be able to muscle or push the forward pack from sarries around especially at Allianz, it just will not happen so starting Hughes who was not match fit the last time we saw him might not be the way to go and I can't even see him negating Billy in any way and Billy played more recently than Nathan so Nathan cannot be more match fit than Billy.

I think Wasps are clearly the underdog and you have to play the way that brought you to the semi final, which is throwing the ball around, that is the way to go imo and the way to play is the wasps way and not trying to change your game, if you change your game, I can't see it ending very well for you at all

16 May, 2018 12:16
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
Billy played more recently than Nathan so Nathan cannot be more match fit than Billy.

Depends how you define "match fit".I would claim an 80% fit Hughes would be more "match fit" than a 50% fit Billy for example. Not saying this is how fit they are but it's all perspective.

What I really hope for is two sides with as strong a side out as possible - something we rarely seem to get in a Wasps Sarries game!

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:20
The only way we can win this is to come straight out of the blocks, get in front and then keep it tight. We've become a 60 minute team of late and the near capitulation at Newcastle was almost as epic as the Sale defeat.

We're also vulnerable and not great at chasing a game either, so based on this I would start as strong and as physical team as possible. That's a backrow of Haskell, Young and Hughes for me and Cruse showing why he's been voted players player this year.

Cips & Gopps at 10 & 12 - you can't underestimate the magic they bring playing together both with the ball in hand and dummy lines, plus Gopps kicking.

Big questions for me are would I involved Eastmond or go with Lovobalavu? Eastmond fell off a lot of tackles against Falcons and I have a little doubt as to how motivated he would be now he's leaving.

JdJ is our defensive master so stays 13, but I really struggle with Daly or Basset. For me, Basset is much the better all round winger. He's faster and more physical, but Daly has a magical turn of pace and ability to run a good line, but his defence/tackling have been rank. It's ironic that people question Cips and Wadey's defence when Daly is by far the worst of the three.

Hangover (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:24
I think Barnet is right is we try to out-muscle the Sarries pack we will lose. We need to play fast, accurate rugby. We must however match their ferocity in the tackle area. We need an 80 min performance at 100%.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net