rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fullback
Jac_A (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 18:40
With Willie now confirmed to be available for the Rugby Championship (Willie locked in for Rugby Champs)
we will be without our first choice fullback until December in all likelihood.

Rob Miller has been excellent in the past but has had a run of injuries and bit part roles. I was wondering that with Daly playing 15 for England and possibly being considered the long term replacement for Brown (who knows how Eddie's mind is working) whether Dai might consider stating the season with Elliot at 15 and Bassett at 11 with Miller on the bench.

To me it comes down to
1) If fit, Elliot plays
2) He can play at 11, 13 or 15
3) So who misses out on starting Josh, Juan or Rob?

By playing at 15 it helps England and allows him to get more involved than being out on the wing.

I know some people don't see Elliot as a FB but he showed he was Lions class at 11 when everyone said he's a 13 and at the weekend, despite the daft errors, his positioning for kick returns was good, as was his last up tackles (the one on le Roux stopping an almost certain try).

Wondered what others thoughts were...

Re: Fullback
neils (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 18:47
Providing Rob is fit and up to speed he gets my vote because we will be without Daly for the AIs and we need stability.

Rory87 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 19:02
I think you have to back Miller. I know hes had his injuries but you cant not select him because hes had them... if fit, hes a natural fullback that has looked electric at times.

Also if fit and WLR not around, what message would you be saying to him if we picked Daly out of position there over him?

We keep talking about having a squad and rotating players not to burn them out, so if you lose your first choice fullback, why wouldnt you use your second choice.

Shugs (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 19:18
I'd go with Miller for two reasons. Firstly I think he's a fantastic full back. Secondly Daly should be absolutely nailed on at 13. He's a world class outside centre. It pained me last year to see him stuck out on the wing and although due to his versatility and talent he made a class job of it he just doesn't get enough ball out there. For Wasps and England for that matter his name should go down at 13 first and you build the rest of the back division around that.

jonnydeane (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 19:46
Would definitely back Miller.
However, Sopoaga has played 15 for NZ, Curtis can play FB and Searle and Jimmy have also played there so there are definitely options

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2018 19:47 by jonnydeane.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 19:51
Miller.
He is about as good as ED at FB, based on previous performances at Wasps. Obviously Elliott is world class at 13, and is now a much better player than he was, but there is zero evidence that he is a fifteen other than the gut instinct of an England coach who probably needs a win in his next two games to stave off discussion in the media about the sack.
Miller is quality when he has fitness and confidence.
If not playing Elliott at full back hurts Eddie's plans so much the better, he needs to learn to pick players in their actual position rather than picking them where he wants knowing they are not going to argue. It is back to Sam Burgess all over, and just like Bath kept playing him where they wanted, so should we with Elliott. Of course this issue does not arise when we get a coach who actually plays players in the positions they play for their club. We would not be considering ED at 15 if it were not for England, unless WLR and RM were unavailable.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 20:11
Is there really evidence that Daly is a world class 13?
He's mostly played at international and lions level as a winger, not an outside centre.

He offers more in attack than JdJ at 13, but is still be tempted to choose Juan at 13.
His all round game is incredibly good and our incredibly flakey defence is somewhat less flakey with him there.
While I understand what people say about Daly not getting enough ball on the wing, I feel that his game intelligence makes up for that by allowing him to join in on attacks while also being available out wide when required.

As for full back... Rob Miller all the way

Shugs (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 21:33
Quote:
StevieWasp
Is there really evidence that Daly is a world class 13?
He's mostly played at international and lions level as a winger, not an outside centre.

He offers more in attack than JdJ at 13, but is still be tempted to choose Juan at 13.
His all round game is incredibly good and our incredibly flakey defence is somewhat less flakey with him there.
While I understand what people say about Daly not getting enough ball on the wing, I feel that his game intelligence makes up for that by allowing him to join in on attacks while also being available out wide when required.

As for full back... Rob Miller all the way
I think the only reason he's not proven internationally at 13 is he's never really played there. Got into the England squad whilst playing 13 though and got put on the wing. Completely take your point about JDJ and I think we are a little unbalanced at centre as our two best are both 13's. I'd be pushing to get JDJ in at 12. He has the game for it and we'd be unleashing a back line of Robson, Sopoaga, JDJ, Daly, Bassett, WLR and Wade.

Heathen (IP Logged)
11 June, 2018 22:53
Curtis could be the surprise package in the absence of the big names.

anderm (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 07:40
Miller was great in 2016/17 but he didn't really get any game time in 2017/18 so will need time to get back upto speed, really needs to play in the 7's and all the pre-season games if WLR ends up playing in the Championship.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 08:16
Quote:
Shugs
I think the only reason he's not proven internationally at 13 is he's never really played there. Got into the England squad whilst playing 13 though and got put on the wing.

I absolutely agree.
But that's the difference between being proven at international level and us all assuming he'd be great.

He's fantastic with ball in hand, great pace, an eye for a gap and he can pass.... And that boot.
But we have had better defenders and defensive organisers at 13 in the past and currently.

At international level, would that be the difference between him being a guaranteed starter or just a squad player?
Would he have played for the Lions if he'd played 13 for England?

Ultimately, England's centre combinations, and in particular the outside centre, are a shambles again. As such, I'd have no hesitation in playing a series with Daly at 13.

AKWasp (IP Logged)
12 June, 2018 11:54
Id agree with Shugs, a back line of Robson, Lima, JdJ, Daly, Bassett, Wade and WLR would look like one of the most balanced back lines weve had in recent years. It would also offer both direct and wide options plus we could still have a strong reliable bench with Simpson, Gopps and Miller/Curtis. Id think we look stronger in that respect than we did last year, maybe less so in attack but much more in defence

JamboBris (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 20:56
As a Bris fan Searle never played 15 for us. So if he has previous at 15 that would only be at Plymouth in Nat1. Good prospect at 10 for sure but if I was in your shoes it would be Miller by quite a stretch.

Heathen (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 21:13
Reckon that given WLR's probable unavailability in the Autumn, Curtis could be the surprise incumbent for the 15 shirt.

Defence (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 23:09
We should try one of our acadamy players for example Owain James he is a full back and deserves a chance

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 07:46
I have an idea. Let's go and recruit an excellent, up and coming (I didn't say young, but he would be a LOT younger than me, so meeting my criteria for being young) full back and see how he does? Maybe the Championship player of the season? Michael Le Bourgeois maybe? That would be a plan, he is a full back, and sometimes a centre and fly-half. At just over 6 foot tall and nearly 90kgs, he would do nicely ... wait, what was that you say? We have already signed him? Such good luck. I doubt Dai would have guessed that would be a useful signing, juts a bit of good luck. I wonder if he would be in our sevens squad? Might be a thought.

Phillywasp (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 07:55
I'd probably be starting Miller unless one of our newbies outclasses him in preseason and in training.

Happy with Elliot on the wing (or centre) but I don't like him at FB. I thought Saturday was his worst performance in an England shirt and was regularly caught out of position. Decent/no negative impact on his attacking play - but defensively poor. Ludicrous when you had a FB playing out of position too.

Back at wasps, it would probably be Josh missing out - Miller or a newbie at Full Back, JDJ at 13 with Elliot & Christian on the wings.

matelot22 (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 11:51
Quote:
Defence
We should try one of our acadamy players for example Owain James he is a full back and deserves a chance

Every time I've seen him play I've been impressed, a lot of potential there IMO.

Gaz (IP Logged)
16 June, 2018 08:28
What's wrong with you people? winking smiley

Miller is an excellent full-back and should play if fit.

FishingWasp (IP Logged)
16 June, 2018 09:11
Miller for me. Was in excellent form and unlucky to be supplanted by WLR, IMHO (Not to say that WLR has not since justified keeping the jersey)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net