rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Re: Danny Wilson
ROLLO (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 13:48
I assume the this means that Carl Hogg will not be staying on with Scotland?

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 15:41
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
I recently saw on BT Sport a recording of our first home game at the Ricoh, we never replaced Goode,Lindsay& Masi and sad to report Sam Jones was playing that day ...
Andy is the Negative Spin Doctor who has a downer on just about every new signing, playing or coaching....

...Or maybe just not a cheerleader snuffling up on the inside of the club. If itís club PR you want youíre in the wrong place.

Chilham - I was more referring to the expectation being set by the club since the move to the Ricoh, and not blaming them but thinking maybe WE have to adjust that it hasanít worked as we all thought it would. The signings etc were all great really until the problem with the accounts emerged (Shields and Sopoaga were signed well before their submission). Since then itís been budget and a hotch potch. Iím all for bringing players through from the champs, but it takes a good coach and time to get them up to standard. Wilson was the key to that and a very, very shrewd signing.

Blake took a lot of flak and whilst I didnít rate him highly, I thought there was an element in our style of play that invited broken field and less focus on the breakdown, and our defence suffered. To replace him with Costello who is a poor Championship coach with a defensive record worse than Blake beggars belief.

Iím with Gaz when he highlights that a repeat (which has started) of our injury woes next season and international calls ups will expose a much weaker bare bones of a squad than last year.

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 16:17
Cheer leader or perhaps just a different view to you..... I donít see the negative in everything. You never wanted Dai so happy to suggest he might look to move on. You had a downer on Danny, jimmy could do no wrong, until that all changed. I doubt you had a good word for Blackett when he signed. To say we are not replacing players is frankly ridiculous. You are very quick to reject players before they even have a chance, you are now trying to defend Blake probably for the first time this season because you donít like the choice of new man. I am pretty sure you had a downer on De Jong and Le roux until they proved you wrong.

I am happy we have Sopoaga, Shields Carr and Brookeís for Cipriani Haskell Thompson and Moore..... the club is not in a mess except in your eyes.... the injury listed highlighted by Gaz is an issue and may cause difficulty early doors.

I am surprised you are even bothering to renew next season, surely having written us off in June, why waste your hard earned money......

How do you even get out of bed in the morning... it beats me

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 17:33
I do think that the number of coaches is not as important as others here. More coaches does not equate to better results.
For Mr Wilson he probably sees it as an opportunity to get into international coaching. Many posters here often complain that coaches don't have international experience, and many would not want a coach without some, which pretty much rules out club DORs. It is probably no sleight on us, the assistant coach to head coach path is not an unlikely option.

For my money the only thing that will improve our playing quality is better players, or rather more players of quality for the times when we are stretched. When injuries come we are weaker than our competitors as we have not yet got an academy on a par with Chiefs, although it sounds like we are heading upwards there. I don't think we are quite as good on paper as last year, but it is small margins all the way, and I doubt anyone knows which Brookes, for example, we will get, or how many England call ups. I am alarmed by the list of absentees, but the pre season is still long. Being 3 months without Willie is as unexpected as it is unfortunate (could not resist).

Tactically I don't think we have much issue, unlike most here. Our defensive frailties gave been more a result of losing the breakdown, and I am not sure that us tacticaI as much as personnel. I am always happy to win 6 tries to 4 and worry what we could lose if we change the way we play.

13 June, 2018 17:47
Assuming we are nearly full with our recruitment, are we stronger or weaker for next season. I guess time will tell, the injuries list for last season ultimately cost us a Home semi, as did defensive frailties. Not sure what the coaching situation will be..... but it needs sorting. Losing Wilson is a blow but better now than later

DGPWasp (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 18:41
So it turns out he's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!!

Shugs (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 18:56
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
Assuming we are nearly full with our recruitment, are we stronger or weaker for next season. I guess time will tell, the injuries list for last season ultimately cost us a Home semi, as did defensive frailties. Not sure what the coaching situation will be..... but it needs sorting. Losing Wilson is a blow but better now than later
I very much think that with everyone available the squad is a big upgrade on last year. Take the key changes one by one. Shields for Haskell - big plus. Carr for Thompson - slight improvement. Brookes for Moore - improvement. Sopoaga for Cipriani - probably the biggest area of debate. I think we'll win more games as a result. Matthews for Symons - par. But aside from these we've got Willis better established, Cruse developed well last year and we have a couple of good young props added to the squad. I particularly liked the look of Harris when he played last year at LH as well. We have five championship players who have potential and the wild card of Curtis - who knows what he might be. I can't believe there is any negativity around next year - I can't wait for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/06/2018 19:11 by Shugs.

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 19:27
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
Cheer leader or perhaps just a different view to you..... I donít see the negative in everything. You never wanted Dai so happy to suggest he might look to move on. You had a downer on Danny, jimmy could do no wrong, until that all changed. I doubt you had a good word for Blackett when he signed. To say we are not replacing players is frankly ridiculous. You are very quick to reject players before they even have a chance, you are now trying to defend Blake probably for the first time this season because you donít like the choice of new man. I am pretty sure you had a downer on De Jong and Le roux until they proved you wrong.
I am happy we have Sopoaga, Shields Carr and Brookeís for Cipriani Haskell Thompson and Moore..... the club is not in a mess except in your eyes.... the injury listed highlighted by Gaz is an issue and may cause difficulty early doors.

I am surprised you are even bothering to renew next season, surely having written us off in June, why waste your hard earned money......

How do you even get out of bed in the morning... it beats me

Well if you had your facts right you'd know what I said about the players and coaches you
assume I had negative opinions about. No downer on Danny - he's one of the irreplaceable ones for me for example.

You write plenty of things on this site I disagree with but I'm not that sad I have to come up with a little personal snipe every time you post something I don't like. You get all sorts of fans at clubs - those who are objective, those who are pessimistic (me) and those who are happy clappy cheerleaders advancing themselves politically on the inside - whatever floats your boat. It takes all sorts, you can't control it and you have to learn to live and let live.

A lot of long term season ticket holders I sit with at the games generally have the same opinion as me. When I come on this forum I expect a range of opinions from fans across the board, some who don't like my thoughts. That's to be accepted so I don't get personal with them and take them on board.

Quite happy getting up in the morning by the way, even though I don't have time to practice my Wasps wiggle.

13 June, 2018 22:05
I suspect we share the same opinion at least on the Wiggle

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 22:26
Wiggle is fab. Ask my seven year old daughter.
It is their game after we are gone, if it puts one more smile on a youngster's face then more power to it. Wiggle on....

CurtisJHunter (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 22:52
Have to agree with you Shugs! Youíre very correct in what you are saying. It is also worth remembering that Rob Millar, Tommy Taylor, Gaskell, Myall, Watson, Gaby, Nathan and Ash J missed lots of parts of last season due to injury or other reasons. It will do those players great to get a full pre season. 2 seasons ago Millar, Taylor, Ash and Nathan were brilliant for us and were so badly missed last season.

Joe Simpson cannot have a worse season performance wise and maybe the Pre season and extra rest Robson will get will benefit him. We will also not be as dependant on Cooper-Woolley with Brookes (I hope) a big upgrade vs Moore.

Rowlands also stepped up hugely last year and Tom Willis will play a lot more rugby this year. Disappointed over Wilson but there is a lot to look forward to this season.

Heathen (IP Logged)
13 June, 2018 23:17
Another big plus is that the senior academy is looking much stronger.

This quote from Jonathon Pendlebury regarding the new senior academy squad is very significant :

"which will enable us to play a fuller role in first team training as an academy group."

Danny, Hask, Elliot, Joes (L&S) to name but a few have all benefitted from this in the past. Faster feed of younger players has huge benefits all round for the club.

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 09:49
It's official:

[www.wasps.co.uk]

18 June, 2018 09:57
Quote:
NellyWellyWaspy
It's official:
[www.wasps.co.uk]

Shame we've lost out on Danny, but we'll have to move on.

Hopefully we can find a decent replacement, in the meantime we stick with what we've got.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Dgwasp (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 10:13
I feel a bit flat with this news because he would have been hugely beneficial for both West and Stuart as they are so early in their careers.

Dai will likely be hacked off but hopefully we've squeezed a decent compensation package out of Scotland, based on him being a lucrative deal with Wasps and his rise in stock given last year's success. Hopefully they can get some experienced coaches in sooner rather than later. It sounds - quite rightly - that we will wait for the right personnel rather than panicking.

There is nothing the club could have done about this and we've just been unfortunate with the timing. Need to just cracking on and see what we can achieve with what we've got.

Heathen (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 10:26
Realistically, it will be a big ask for that depleted coaching team.

A quality defence coach is paramount. Dai can manage the forwards but his primary role, as DoR, is to have the helicopter view of what is going on and to set objectives for each of the coaches.

Not confident, but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

RogerE (IP Logged)
18 June, 2018 10:46
Just confirmed that he won't be joing us and will be joining the Scotland back roon staff on Radio5 news.

Took a long time to be officially announced.

Roger

Buzzil (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 16:32
Rumours that the Tunisia number 3 is being drafted in to teach our boys how to tackle following his excellent demonstration in the football last night

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 16:52
(Sm22)

Raggs (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 17:49
Fissler says we're talking to Rowntree.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net