rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rowntree now available
BdeB (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 12:52
Ex lions and England forward coach is currently without a job. Just saying.

Re: Rowntree now available
Raggs (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 12:54
Just saw that...

Reputation, even though it survived England, is surely not so high now as to be able to get an international gig again?

Wonder if we'll have a sniff.

Marconi (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 12:56
Interesting, though I'd have thought Quins would want some compensation and the reason for leaving wouldn't be personal reasons?

BdeB (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:00
The press release says it is for personal reasons and if that has to do with a move back to the midlands we might be a good fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2018 13:00 by BdeB.

BdeB (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:11
We are also short at loose head winking smiley Just saying.

DGPWasp (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:13
Don't want to jump to conclusions, but the timing of this announcement coming the day after the Wilson news does make me wonder.

If we end up with Dai and Rowntree on the coaching staff were gonna need a big, strong bench!

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:17
Rowntree, Titterrell, Young
Hell of a front row.

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:22
Big lump of concrete or an oak log more like.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 13:32
Been rumours that he was "leaving" for a few days/weeks now, along with half of Quins' coaching staff.

BB

Heathen (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 14:42
Wiggy is a top bloke.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 17:20
Would seem like a fit.

jonnydeane (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 20:14
Playing devils advocate.... Is Rowntree actuality a good coach?

quite early on his career he coached for England, possibly just on his reputation as a player, also England weren't great during this time.
And at Quins has any aspect of their forward play been at all strong or feared under his tenure.

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 20:45
Quote:
jonnydeane
quite early on his career he coached for England, possibly just on his reputation as a player, also England weren't great during this time.
And at Quins has any aspect of their forward play been at all strong or feared under his tenure.

Let's forget about his 2 lions tours.

bg (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 21:21
Quote:
jonnydeane

You've said what I was thinking.. he's had some top jobs but were they earned based on his reputation as a player. Top level players don't always make good coaches.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 21:30
Maybe so... But you've gotta think that he has some good ideas, even if maybe the whole package may not be top quality.

At Wasps, we already have Dai and Andy, so if we did bring in rowntree, it would be about bringing in some new ideas, making it work with what we already have, and discarding stuff that as a team they don't think would work

jonnydeane (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 22:46
Hey Ayerza W, I was merely playing devils advocate, I have a very limited knowledge of Rowntree as a coach or as a bloke, was just asking for more informed opinions than my own

DGPWasp (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 23:20
Quins' pack, or at least some individuals therein, has come in for criticism on here for being niggly and maybe over stepping the mark now and then. At the same time our own forwards have been criticised for not being nasty enough. Rowntree could be just the man to bring a bit of that to Wasps.

As for his coaching CV, 8 years with England and 2 successful Lions tour is not too shabby at all. I'd welcome him at Wasps.

All hypothetical, but the timing of this and the Wilson news is a remarkable coincidence.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
14 June, 2018 23:44
I suppose the real question should be....
If both were available, who would you choose?

Have we possibly traded up in spite of the bad luck?

Raggs (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 04:44
We don't know if we've traded anything Stevie.

I think I'd have preferred Wilson, a man with a solid recent past of improving packs. Rowntree is more of a gamble, but if he doesn't have anything lined up, potentially one worth taking a risk on with at least a 1 season contract (if he'd agree to that, get him to the RWC basically).

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
15 June, 2018 11:57
Quote:
Raggs
We don't know if we've traded anything Stevie.
I think I'd have preferred Wilson, a man with a solid recent past of improving packs. Rowntree is more of a gamble, but if he doesn't have anything lined up, potentially one worth taking a risk on with at least a 1 season contract (if he'd agree to that, get him to the RWC basically).

I'm with Raggs here. I would have much preferred Wilson as he seems to have a very clear influence on the teams he coaches.

In light of me being a bit too negative of late, I'm loathe to say this, but I'm not a fan of Rowntree and never saw him make a difference anywhere. This may be a bit of personal
bias because I remember him slagging of LBND in the press around the time of one of our Prem titles.

I was excited when he went to England, was at Twickers when we played Australia in one of his first games, and was looking forward to giving their much maligned scrum a going over. It was a bit of a shock when the Aussies smashed us in the scrum that day and I've had half an eye on Rowntree since. I think he's just more of a 'face that fits' based on his playing reputation. Our scrum and forwards in the last world cup was noticabley underpowered which lead to EJ ditching his services, and Quins seem to have been much the same under him since he joined them.

I wonder if there is a Charlie matthews link in all this if he does come our way, but I'd rather we looked elsewhere and took our time. I really think the loss of Wilson is absolutely massive.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net