rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brad Shields ?
greenwood (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 07:50
Have I missed something ?
I thought you had to be based in England to play for England ?
Is he still in NZ playing for The Hurricanes ?

Re: Brad Shields ?
backdoc (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 07:58
Yes, No, Yes

greenwood (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 08:06
So when the The No change from being a Yes.

If it ever was ?

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 08:10
The agreement is being interpreted as: as long as a player has signed a contract for an English club they are eligible to play for England. The precedent was set a few years ago when Piers Francis was called up and I believe Underhill was still contracted to a welsh club when he got his first cap.

All were eligible for summer tours. It'll be interesting to see what happens if a foreign based player signs for an English club in January and whether they'd be rushed into the 6 nations squad...

greenwood (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 08:13
Piers never played for The Blues again after playing for England. He left and went to the Saints even though He didn't play for them until the next season

backdoc (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 08:19
Shields looks to be the difference between winning and losing for the Canes. Lets hope he gets a bit of a rest and does the same here.

DGPWasp (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 08:34
Quote:
greenwood
Have I missed something ?
I thought you had to be based in England to play for England ?
Is he still in NZ playing for The Hurricanes ?

Jeez, you've been pondering that one for a long time!!

greenwood (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 08:42
I must admit I'd only just notice He was still playing them 'em.

I thought once the England shirt came along He'd left.

Heathen (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 09:04
What are the guidelines (rules?) regarding minimum rest off season? Possibly will not have some or all of Joe, Nate, Brad, Lima, Willie, Elliot for the season start. Throw in our injured contingent as well and Dai's will be handicapped when it comes to selecting from a position of strength.

neils (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 09:38
Big article in TRP yesterday stated that all our incomers would be here and available for season start. Final of Super Rugby is first weekend in August which might involve Shields but can't see Highlanders getting so far so Lima should be before then. Stormers I think are finished and Carr was not in Saturday's 23 so could be integrated by the friendlies. WLR will be back after the last SA match on 6 October.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 09:42 by neils.

timbo001 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 11:12
Quote:
greenwood
Piers never played for The Blues again after playing for England. He left and went to the Saints even though He didn't play for them until the next season

That was because he was injured, concussion symptoms I think. Otherwise hed have gone back and finished the season with the Blues.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 11:12
I think the basis of it all is that the whole "must play in England" thing is to stop us losing players to big pay cheques abroad.

In the case of Brad Shields, he's already signed for an English based club, so while he may not be eligible by the letter of the law, he is eligible by the spirit of the law

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 12:15
Its PRL's deal to make sure talent isn't drained away out of the Prem. If a player has already signed for next season, then no reason why he can't play.

Raggs (IP Logged)
09 July, 2018 12:26
Quote:
bald.paul.101
Its PRL's deal to make sure talent isn't drained away out of the Prem. If a player has already signed for next season, then no reason why he can't play.

Pretty much this I reckon. He's already signed up for an English club, so why not. I'd not expect an England player who'd signed for a French club, to continue being picked in the summer tour between.

Carr was injured I believe (think I read that somewhere).

Phillywasp (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 14:09
Quote:
Heathen
What are the guidelines (rules?) regarding minimum rest off season? Possibly will not have some or all of Joe, Nate, Brad, Lima, Willie, Elliot for the season start. Throw in our injured contingent as well and Dai's will be handicapped when it comes to selecting from a position of strength.

Without being disrespectful, I'd like to think we can go to Worcester first up whilst resting/integrating those that need it. If Lima doesn't need the rest, it's a decent place to get acclimatised to our styles.
We can probably afford to rest Robson and Daly. And I wouldn't take any risks on any of Hughes, Carr & Shields. If they're fit and ready I'd play them. But if we see a 50% fit Hughes start first game of the season I'll be annoyed!

Raggs (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 14:16
And if he looks 50% fit because he's not match fit as opposed to injury?

What would we be resting Robson for?

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 14:16
Do we have to rest Robson? I mean, he didn't play in SA! Will England rest protocols affect him?

I'm sure he'll be itching to get back on the pitch.

Raggs (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 14:22
He'll be entitled to 5 weeks rest after the tour but that's still going to leave plenty of preseason.

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 15:29
Robson may well need some rest to let his body recover from the hammering it's getting in Ibiza, if his and Dalys instagram is to be believed smiling smiley

Phillywasp (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 11:27
And if he looks 50% fit because he's not match fit as opposed to injury?
Then he doesn't need to start. We could give him some time off the bench.

What would we be resting Robson for?
Because by all accounts EJs training sessions are brutal. It gives Simpson a chance to pressurise the shirt a little. It stops Robson from getting injured first game of the season against Worcester when we'll need him more in the few following weeks.

Do we have to rest Robson?
England protocols may say that we have to. I don't think we do - but I'd be inclined to anyway as outlined above. I'd do so because I think we can afford to, rather than because he desperately needs it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net