rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Idea for new season
Glyn Haggett (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 12:29
Grumpy old man alert: the comment below may offend some people (hopefully not too much, though)

As an experiment, I would like to see one game next season where there is no blast of music every time a try is scored. Instead, let the crowd respond naturally and see what happens.

Let me stress that this is not meant as a slur on Pete or on any of the other announcers around the country. They make a very good fist of a job I could not do in a million years.

GH

Re: Idea for new season
RossM (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 12:43
+ 1

tamewasp (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 13:43
Quote:
Glyn Haggett
Grumpy old man alert: the comment below may offend some people (hopefully not too much, though)
As an experiment, I would like to see one game next season where there is no blast of music every time a try is scored. Instead, let the crowd respond naturally and see what happens.

Let me stress that this is not meant as a slur on Pete or on any of the other announcers around the country. They make a very good fist of a job I could not do in a million years.

GH

I don't agree with you, it's part and partial of the game now so try and embrase it.

I saw a tweet the other week, commenting on why a supporter hadn't renewed his season ticket. The No1. reason was he didn't like the Wasps wiggle. He may of just been joking but really! It's half time entertainment for gods sake, kids like it.

Kids are the future of this club, whether you like it or not. Wasps are doing a fantastic job of bringing them in and entertaining them, so music after a try is part of this.

So my point is Rugby is for grumpy old men all the way down to young children, if you want Wasps to survive and prosper, then kids must be accomodated. Try music & Wasps wiggles, drums or whatever else might annoy you.

Ken I L Worth (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 13:50
As occasional visitor I'm all for it too, it would be an interesting experiment.

They tried to introduce the music at Gloucester a few years back...needless to say it didn't last long after the Shed started booing and jeering when Gloucester scored because they wanted to drown out the music....it was a funny sight.

But it takes all sorts to make the world go around and many seem to like it

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 15:35
sorry but the way to get more people coming to games is not music and blaring announcements. Its by playing exciting winning rugby.

simple really

Old Geezer (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 16:54
Kids are the future all right but grumpy old men buying season tickets now ensure that there is a future for the kids to have. Personally I don't really like the music but I detest the wiggle. If that was for the kids as someone suggests, why all the efforts to get the adults to do it? However, I go to the Ricoh to watch the rugby and so long as there's plenty of that you can have your wiggle, your music and your drums (so long as they are not in my old ears which they never seem to be). OMG I have become a tolerant grumpy. I must increase the statins.

hookender (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 16:55
bring back the cheerleaders!

WONKYWASP1 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 16:56
If you're allergic to apres-try tunes ... best to avoid 7's matches. For 2 days we kept getting (for obvious reasons) 'Stand up for Sarries'. Which we didn't. But it did add a bit of good old partisan fun. (Sm134)

WONKYWASP1 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 17:34
Sorry .... that should have been POST not apres. Prat. (Sm8)

Harry the Wasp (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 17:40
According to Dr Wasp I am a founding member of the Grumpy Old Mens club but even I don't mind the Wiggle. Anyway any self respecting Drunken Wasp should be spending half time staring into the blank eyes of a brain dead teenager trying to get them to serve you some Purity Ale.

coddy (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 20:03
If all you have to moan about is a very short piece of music after a Wasps try with all that's going on in the world then feel free to slap yourself across the cheeks as hard as possible.

RossM (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 20:10
Quote:
coddy
If all you have to moan about is a very short piece of music after a Wasps try with all that's going on in the world then feel free to slap yourself across the cheeks as hard as possible.

I tried but I missedsmiling smiley

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 20:48
Can confirm my daughter loves both music and wiggle.
Highlights of the game for her are wiggle, and flag waving to music. That is how 5 to 7 year olds work. I will enjoy the rugby regardless, for her it needs the gimmicks.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 09:19
When we first moved to Coventry there were lots of complaints about lack of atmosphere and lack of half time entertainment.

I'm too old to even consider dancing to the wasps wiggle and I really have no idea who came up with it or why they couldn't come up with something better.
However, while it may have taken a few years to take off, the children do all seem to enjoy it.

I'm more than capable of ignoring something for a few minutes if it doesn't interest me, and allow those that are interested to participate. Life is all about compromises.
Afterall, I'm well practiced at ignoring stuart barnes on Sky.

As for music after the try's, i hadn't really noticed it. As has been said, it's a common occurrence at 7's.
I really can't understand how it hurts or affects anyone.... if you don't like it, ignore it

Dgwasp (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 09:24
I'd prefer not to have it as it does nothing for me to be honest, but not put off by it as such. I suppose at quieter games it creates a bit more atmosphere and for the more casual visitor makes the experience more fun...

It would be nice to perhaps have a few games where they trial it, although it sounds a bit like having the quite coach on the train!

Ultimately as long as we are scoring tries I can put up with a little bit of nonsense!

neils (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 10:02
Actually the sound quality in the West Stand last season made any announcement or music quite difficult to understand. Probably fixed now so will be able to complain! Seriously though anything that keeps younger fans engaged has to be good - just don't ask me to wiggle.

bg (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 10:43
I don't have a problem with music after a try and I think most clubs now do it. The PA blurting out (when it works) before a scrum or lineout is a little annoying though.. but again I've heard the PA at other clubs trying to jee up the crowd in a similar fashion (is that pete or kurky BTW?)

The Wasps "wiggle" (who came up with that idea?).. doesn't bother me but I don't participate... if the young supporters enjoy it then fine.. I just hope the ones performing aren't there under parent duresss to take part.. [:wor kid:]

Marlow Nick (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 12:53
Quote:
bg
(is that pete or kurky BTW?)[:wor kid:]
As a general rule if the voice you hear is calmly stating facts then that's Pete. If it's enthusiastically trying to raise the energy levels, that's Kurky

Alarev (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 16:54
I find it depends on the song played, Gold - Spandau Ballet which was sometimes played last year is appropriate and always seems to raise the mood of the crowd

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 18:48
I like madness when itís pksyed

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net