rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

who will be 4th?
Penn Wasp (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 00:10
So pundits suggesting the top 3 will be Chiefs, series and Glaws..

I suspect the top 2 for us will be a challenge, and so should it be for any club, but surely top 4 is a minimum goal?

Suspect we will get on a winning run as the new boys settle and wlr returns

My money already on Worcs to go down.....such a shame but the money just is not there

Re: who will be 4th?
ukms (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 05:36
Quote:
Penn Wasp
So pundits suggesting the top 3 will be Chiefs, series and Glaws..
I suspect the top 2 for us will be a challenge, and so should it be for any club, but surely top 4 is a minimum goal?

Suspect we will get on a winning run as the new boys settle and wlr returns

My money already on Worcs to go down.....such a shame but the money just is not there

My predication is we'll sneak 2nd spot with a home semi against Exeter (3rd) … Glaws or Tigers taking 4th spot. smiling smiley

Reality is its far too early and I have no idea ! Other than I'm confident of top 4 for Wasps.

Dgwasp (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 06:18
I'd like to think we've got enough in the squad for 4th. We shot ourselves in the foot for a win against a supposedly nailed on top 2 so we can't be far away.

For now I'd be concentrating on ensuring top 6 so that we remain in the premier European competition. If we manage that we should also be in the mix for top 4.

If the pundits are correct that last spot is going to be fiercely contested between, Leicester, Sale, Bath Falcons and us. I probably shouldn't leave Saints out of that mix either. That said, I don't think Glos are necessarily a definite, they've always blown hot and cold, have a new squad and I dont even think on paper it necessarily looks stronger than our squad.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 06:45
The bookies are rarely wrong and still have us to finish 3rd (based on the odds).
4th is between Gloucester and Tigers.

I don't think that's unreasonable, but I think all Wasps fans would feel more comfortable about it if we could really put Leicester to the sword this weekend

wombles222 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 07:52
Gloucester will have a argument about being top 4 comes seasons end and a very strong case for top 6, they have had a good start, but going faster out of he traps this term does not equate to success in the long game, there are too many variables ahead, the winter months, international call ups, injuries, form and new players bedding in. Yes they have been good so far, but after doing well last season they fell away badly towards seasons end and scraped top tier European rugby. To early to say at present.

Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 09:23
I wonder if the league position of us v Glaws will come down to how our respective euro campaigns go. Both look like tough groups.

If a team loses the first two Euro games then maybe they will put more focus on the league and be fresher for that. If your Euro campaign is going well you'll face a lot more tough games and potentially overwork your top players or have to rest them for the domestic league.

Further to that, Exeter might put more focus on their Euro campaign as they've never really excelled there. Might see them drop a few points in the league as they rest players.

matelot22 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 11:25
Quote:
Trev's Big Tackle
Further to that, Exeter might put more focus on their Euro campaign as they've never really excelled there. Might see them drop a few points in the league as they rest players.

Not sure how they can put more focus on it TBT, we've all seen their game plan fail in Europe and we know they're bereft of a plan B. What more can they do in their current state?

Heathen (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 11:49
Invariably they succumb to a side who are more adept at their game, than they are! Tends to be a French/Irish side that have a bigger/more physical paack.

Raggs (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 12:00
I think Falcons will struggle a bit more this season, as they'll have the pressures of Champions Cup as well.

Sarries and Exeter will be there. The rest? Tough to say.

I definitely agree that beating Leicester is a very useful step to keeping us on track.

John Tee (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 13:33
Tigers look tough...especially if Manu retains form and fitness. On the showing of last week, he looks almost like a new signing...so long have they missed that side if his game.
Their best backline must be as good as any in the league on paper...?

Glaws, wasps and Tigers are my bets for 2 places.
And Bath Sale and Saints to keep the pressure on and stealing points here and there to keep people nervous.

I would love it if anyone could ruffle the top two but both are off to a flying start and the chasers can't let the points gap get beyond 5...?

Shugs (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 17:31
I think we'll definitely be top four and probably end up third. I can't see that Gloucester will win enough away games to get near and for me it will be Tigers vying for third with us. Newcastle will find it hard to repeat the feats of last year and I don't see a lot of improvement in the likes of Bath, Saints or Sale. The challenge for us is to try and squeeze a home semi out of it. I agree Tigers will be a decent litmus test for us but even irrespective of that result I think we'll easily be at least third.

John Tee (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 17:41
Bath fans seem to think there isnt a lot wrong with the players they have but a change of coach could be the difference...or they all gel and transform.
If that is correct, they'll be tough to beat at home.

In these early days, Sale are a bit average.. Depends who they have ed to come back.

Bath, same but they have a decent and troublesome backline.
Glaws look a handful up front and have more Safs to cone in and improve an already powerful pack.
Tigers changed their coach and coukd be a different proposition
If Eastmond and Manu stay fit, they'll be around forth.
big IF though....
But they might be fit enough, long enough to upset others plans.

It is still going to take a few weeks to get a feel for the season form and realistic expectations..
Quite a few nervy 50/50's..?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net