rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
WLR
Old Geezer (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 13:28
Playing for SA against AB's this weekend.

Re: WLR
Spikey910 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:09
Yes I saw that. Seems to go against the publicised Dai Erasmus agreement!

I hope he's not now playing the whole Rugby Championship.

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:17
Agreement was to play first 3 games and one autumn international

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Stang (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:22
Thought we may have wanted him back this weekend... still Elliott to 15 anyone?

Spikey910 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:32
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
Agreement was to play first 3 games and one autumn international
Yes, but he's already played 3. Argentina twice home and away, and last week Aus. This is the 4th RC game.

13 September, 2018 14:59
I've misunderstood, as I thought he playing all the Rugby Championship games, but not the extra one that happens after the tournament (when Australia & New Zealand contrive to have a third Bledisloe Cup game).

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Spikey910 (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 15:05
My understanding was same as Ricoh's, I'm just pointing out that that now appears to have been broken.

Aylesbury Wasp (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 15:08
And if 3 games was the Agreement and it is now broken or amended, might that mean he is not available for Wasps until mid October?

13 September, 2018 15:12
Yes sorry I may have miscounted, but thought he was back after Leicester game

Heathen (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 16:45
I have just searched for the Offy announcement re Willie and cannot find it. I thought it was for 3 games, but whether that was 3 internationals/miss 3 GP matches, I am not sure.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 17:15
This is the Dai Young quote in the RugbyPass article:
RugbyPass

“Willie is likely to miss our first three Premiership matches and we have worked this out through discussions with everyone involved. It is great that he is back in Test rugby and with a change of coach, Willie wanted to be part of it again. Willie will be back for three Premiership games leading into the European matches and he may go back for one more game with South Africa so the maximum games he will miss for Wasps will be four."

Marconi (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 18:02
Not sure he'll be chucked straight back in either with jet lag and not being with the team for 4 months? At least the likes of Toomua have done some pre season with their clubs.

Nigel Med (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 13:48
If his final game for the Boks before returning to us is at home there won't be any jet lag, SA is only 1 hour ahead of the UK. Long flight I'll grant you and yes, he will have missed pre-season training with some of our new players.

bg (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 14:26
The next SA game is tomorrow (maybe Sat. .can't work the timings out) but that's in Wellington NZ. There is another final game for SA against Oz the following week-end but that's in SA.

So is WLR away for a possible 2 more weeks at least or is he not taking part in their last game next week-end?

So when Dai said he's miss 3 Premiership games did he mean 3 home games? After Tigers there's 2 away games, followed by a home game against Glaws and then Euro games?? Which is what he refers to? so is the first we're going to see WLR against Leinster?

Aylesbury Wasp (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 16:54
Based on the post from Stevie above, my read is now that WLR could be available for at least 2 of Sale (A), Newcastle (A), Gloucester (H) and perhaps all three.

Boooo (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 18:19
I’m going to fathom a guess that Willie is extending his stay with SA because South Africa and Head Coach Erasmus are under huge pressure.
After losses to Argentina and Australia, some people are already baying for blood.

From the Mail...

“If we do really bad here, then I will probably not be in the seat for the next couple of matches and somebody else will probably be there.”

The words of nervous Springbok head coach Rassie Erasmus ahead of their Test against New Zealand at the Westpac Stadium in Wellington – where they have never won.
He signed a six-year contract in March, and beat England twice this summer. Short, these South African honeymoons.

I reckon Erasmus has pleaded with Willie to stay for another game or two.
If they get slaughtered by the All Blacks this weekend and lose again against Oz...he might be in trouble.

If SA had won their last two games, then I think circumstances would be different, and Willie would be on his way back to Wasps.

Furthermore, the interplay between the backs seems to have deteriorated over the past few games. Willie is having little impact and SA fans are frustrated they don’t have a Cipriani-style fly half to ignite their back line. Pollard and Janjites don’t seem capable enough and Erasmus can’t decide between the two. Fans are desperate for a new fly half to emerge, but probably too late before the World Cup.
And with time running out, they will be desperate to reverse current form and establish a pattern of play that brings out the best from Willie.
At the moment, he is stifled.

It just shows how integral Cips was to Willie’s SA recall. South Africa are struggling to bring him into the game the way that Wasps did last season.

I don’t expect to see Willie back just yet, which is really disappointing for Wasps as we bed-in Lima.

ClaretAndBlueWasp (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 10:18
If I were WLR I’d want to stay with South Africa until the end of the Rugby Championship now. I say we let him stop if he can bring a few of his mates back with him.

15 September, 2018 10:29
I think they said it was two weeks to the next game, surely time to come back now

Stang (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 12:04
When he comes back, he’ll be happy and that’s not insignificant. Makes everything a bit easier!

bg (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:24
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
I think they said it was two weeks to the next game, surely time to come back now

Next SA game is in SA on the 29th Sept.. after that the next is 6th Oct, again in SA... so he's free next week-end but he's currently in NZ.. so given the travelling time and time zone difference he won't be with us next week-end will he?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net