rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nathan going at the end of the season?
Boooo (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 00:11
Short article in the Mail today.

Dai seems almost resigned to the fact that we donít have the budget to keep him.

Is it just me...or is Dai Ďtoo niceí about all the business that goes on around him?
He always seems very passive.

Maybe he is different behind doors.

Re: Nathan going at the end of the season?
littlematt (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 00:32
To me the article says nothing of the sort. Headline jumps to conclusions and you in turn are jumping to conclusions based on that.

All young said is Hughes will want a pay rise as his contract is expiring, we are near the wage cap limit, if we give him a raise we may need to trim the squad elsewhere.

John Tee (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 06:46
Same juggling that everyone has to content with if a players worth increases during their contract.
Savings will have to be made elsewhere or not...which is why most players tend to move.

Not sure what clubs don't have this issue...??

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 07:41
If it's purely a money thing, then presumably that only gives him the option of Japan, France or another premiership club.

Given that he's a regular England international, I can't see him going abroad.
No other English club would be able to make him their marquee player, so you'd be looking for a club with sufficient space in the cap, or one that is losing a high salary player from their cap.
You'd also think that he'd probably only be interested in teams with genuine top4 ability.

Doesn't leave a lot of options.

The flip side is that the additional money from France could be greater than what he earns from any English contract, even with international appearances added as a bonus.

So I think it is a case that some budget juggling needs to be done, but not that Dai is resigned to losing him

InbetweenWasp (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 07:49
I think weíre also about to see playersí wages plateau and the heady rise of the past few seasons is coming to an end.

Wages will max out without breaking the cap and iím not sure the grass is necessarily greener abroad.

Rather than higher wages, less games will begin to be the Ďbonusí or Ďadd-oní to help prolong career and better nurture performance. Equally, life after rugby likely to be a pull with clubs choosing to invest in helping players set up for life after rugby as part of a trade-off.

This is probably the last big contract year.

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 07:54
the reality is that come the end of the season Dai will be letting some players go, we can speculate on who they are but there are some senior players who may need to be let go to accommodate keeping the core strength of the team.

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Boooo (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 08:05
Yeah sorry.
Headline was a little bit of sensationalism.
I blame the few glasses of red wine!

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 08:24
How many senior England internationals actually change premiership club? The only ones I can think of in recent times are May and Ford and both of those happened in pretty strange circumstances.

Iím probably wrong about the above but even so, France would not surprise me, another English club would.

Dazthelion (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 08:57
Strikes me as the usual Dai honesty and pragmatism in response to a question posed.

However it perhaps is an early tactical shot across the bow in order to say to his and other agents that there simply isnít money left in the salary cap at Wasps or at many other clubs.

He surely has to stay in England with the RWC next year and would best to avoid distractions. Best outcome all round is perhaps for us to offer and him to accept a 12 month extension to his current contract at some small increase. Heíll miss a large chunk of next season but will back for the business end. And for Nathan it means he can go back to market post RWC when his value is probably artificially high and when caps may have increased further, or he can go abroad in 2020 for big money.

Maybe reading too much into it but tactically itís what iíd do.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:04
In-betweenwasp...

That's a good point.
We've heard some players say that they'd take a pay reduction to play less games.... But in reality, that's probably not likely.
However, minimal increases and less games is a possibility.

I do wonder how many club games the top players actually play though.
When you factor in internationals and injuries it'll be difficult to guarantee a maximum number of games and stick to it.
Will we see some players choosing the fixtures they play in?

i.e. could they say "I don't want to play away at Newcastle, or a Friday night at the AJ Bell, but I want to be selected for all European games"

SaintED (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:05
I think Wasps PR/Crisis management is getting much better. Only a couple of weeks ago Dai did a fairly public piece about England miss-managing Wasps players. All couched in fairly neutral tones but the message was clear. Now we have this which I'd suggest is the clubs equivalent of agents leaking a story about Toulon being interested in Hughes. Its saying there's no money there so be realistic about what you ask for or move on. Good on him. With Carr in your squad I am not convinced Hughes would be a huge loss.

Heathen (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:09
The Islanders and the Maori origin Kiwis are a tight knit bunch.

When it is open knowledge that CP is allegedly getting £950K at Bris and Lima's recent statement it's about earning for the future, it is no surprise that these comments will arise.

Players come, players go. Dai has to make the call on what composition he wants for his squad within budget constraints.

On a separate issue is our S&C operation worth a review, given the consistently high injury count that we carry year on year?

Dazthelion (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:15
RP also reporting Tommy Taylor is getting interest from Sale and Leicester. Canít see either as progress for him and given he missed most of last season and hasnít broken into the Eng squad properly yet canít imagine he can drive a big wage hike.

Itís all just silly season with agents chucking out all sorts to create fear. DORís are going to have a thought time calling bluffs this year and keeping focused given weíre hearing all this in Sept!!!

Dazthelion (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:19
On a related issue, I read on the Sale board yesterday they have a Senior Squad of just 29 players and many are injured / unavailable. It would be a real shame if, having bolstered our numbers this year we end up thinning out again next year to retain one or two players.

The one that really bothers me is Wade. When is his contract up? Given heís been given no chance under Jones who could blame him for cashing in over in France for a year or two. If Ashton was prolific running against the hint lumbering beasts in their packs you can only imagine what damage Wade could inflict out there whilst doubling no his salary.

23 September, 2018 09:22
Quote:
SaintED
I think Wasps PR/Crisis management is getting much better. Only a couple of weeks ago Dai did a fairly public piece about England miss-managing Wasps players. All couched in fairly neutral tones but the message was clear. Now we have this which I'd suggest is the clubs equivalent of agents leaking a story about Toulon being interested in Hughes. Its saying there's no money there so be realistic about what you ask for or move on. Good on him. With Carr in your squad I am not convinced Hughes would be a huge loss.

As Hughes apart from 20 minutes yesterday has been a standout this season I think he would be a huge loss, yes already silly season started , several players will be nearcend if contracts do naturally their will Be negotiations
10-12 players every year are out of contract so bound to start rumours

23 September, 2018 09:24
I would rather we lost players to France or Japan then other premiership clubs

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:39
Quote:
Heathen
The Islanders and the Maori origin Kiwis are a tight knit bunch.
When it is open knowledge that CP is allegedly getting £950K at Bris and Lima's recent statement it's about earning for the future, it is no surprise that these comments will arise.

Players come, players go. Dai has to make the call on what composition he wants for his squad within budget constraints.

On a separate issue is our S&C operation worth a review, given the consistently high injury count that we carry year on year?

Pretty harsh on S&C, Iím not sure any conditioning department could have stopped the Willis, Shields and Reader injuries.

I think the biggest problem injury wise is that for the past two seasons, when we are able to, we have pretty much played the same team week in week out. This will lead to players playing with niggles and subsequently getting more/more severe injuries.

So far this year, when able to, we seem to be rotating the squad a lot better which should help the injury numbers.

Dgwasp (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 09:49
We've got a good bunch of players and therefore I'm sure there will be interest and any agent will also be finding out what other clubs are prepared to pay in wages to find out what increase may be possible for their client.

If Nathan decides to leave, good luck to him. We've got other options at 8. However Dai's comments only mirror those of Rob Baxter who has three big contracts up for renewal this season, one being Armand, and they have to sit within a wage budget. Also if Nathan asks for £x then it is worth Dai going out to see what else £x can get us considering that Hughes is off on England duty for large parts of the year.

As for TT, I hope we can keep him on, although Cruse did well last year and there are other hookers who could be as effective.

If players/agents price themselves out of competitive clubs then it may not be great for their career. If money is their primary motivation then perhaps they are not for us either?

SaintED (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 10:15
Sorry ricohchezwasp. Not meant to imply he's not a good player just that as a likely International and wanting a big wage I am not sure he's a player I would see it as worth breaking the bank to keep. I also thing Carr is a better player in utility terms, is significantly cheaper, likely to be available all season and is already signed up for the next 3? seasons.

Quote:
Dazthelion
DORís are going to have a thought time calling bluffs this year and keeping focused given weíre hearing all this in Sept!!!

Thing is it's only a year to next September before and after which lots of SH players will be looking to come to the NH for a payday for several years. I don't know about Dai but I'd suggest that Hughes probably wants his contract tied down well before those players come knocking.

Old Geezer (IP Logged)
23 September, 2018 10:21
We get an away five pointer at Sale which made me happy and then someone goes and spoils my temporary respite from oncoming winter blues by starting a speculative thread about Nathan leaving.

Come on guys, give me a break!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net