rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

High Praise from SCW for Le Booj
Ticktockwasp (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 09:30
Just wanted to say that it's nice that its been noticed... He really has impressed me with nice crisp distribution, excellent workrate and as I'd hoped for, given he's a big unit, his robust defence.

I totally concur with what Sir Clive says in the article (Daily Mail.. yes I know!) IMHO Le Booj could be a modern adaptation of the legend that was Fraser Waters and has been a gem unearthed by Dai.

Re: High Praise from SCW for Le Booj
Aylesbury Wasp (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 10:22
Maybe a bit of an over-reaction. Too early to start seriously raising expectations. I agree he may have a high ceiling but let’s not spoil that potential by heaping too much on his shoulders after just a couple of starts.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 10:29
Yes, agree totally. Give him time and not pressure.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 10:45
Well, let's bear in mind that he's 28, not 20.
Obviously, that's by no means over the hill, but we don't have 5-10 years for him to reach is peak.

Ticktockwasp (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 10:52
I did say 'could be' a modern adaptation, I think the potential from the chap, albeit from a small sample size is excellent. Besides with Gopps being out for likely all if not most of the season, I think we should give credit where it's due as Le Booj has really stepped up to the plate. What I was also trying to highlight is that clearly there are some incredibly talented players that have been plying their trade in the championship and well done to Dai for spotting Le Booj who has seemlessly transitioned to a top 4 side in the Prem.

Westy68 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 11:19
I think you are right that we need to highlight a ‘potential’ great find by Dai. I mentioned in another post, I expect a great deal from dooj and so far, except some poor defensive issues in his 1st game,has done really well.

With better players around him no reason why he will not get better and better

bg (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 11:57
Booj has been a good signing. Morris and Atkinson haven't disgraced themselves either. Didn't Dai sign 5 championship players. Ross Neale hasn't featured yet but I can't remember who the 5th player was?

tamewasp (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 12:26
Quote:
bg
Booj has been a good signing. Morris and Atkinson haven't disgraced themselves either. Didn't Dai sign 5 championship players. Ross Neale hasn't featured yet but I can't remember who the 5th player was?

Billy Searle

Spikey910 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 12:29
BG, it's second row Cardell who was very good in the sevens, suggesting he'd be a decent 6 as well.

Not sure you can call signing the Championship player of the year a find, but certainly a calculated gamble seeing if he can step up to the Prem. Don't forget Guy Armitage was tearing up the Championship before we signed him, and he don't make the breakthrough with Dai and Lee. They've obviously seen more with Le Booj in training to give him an early chance. I think he offers us the sort of thing another ex Wasp, Mark Atkinson gives Glaws. I hope he makes it.

backdoc (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 12:32
Good call, Spikey. That was my impression too. Atkinson scored straight off the bench yesterday.

Heathen (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 12:43
Talking of Championship recruits, when Josh joined from Bedford, he always looked as though he could make. Now in his sixth season (and still only 26) he has developed into one of the best wingers in the Prem.

Guy was another one, joined at the same time as Josh, although 5 years older.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 14:36
Quote:
Heathen
Talking of Championship recruits, when Josh joined from Bedford, he always looked as though he could make. Now in his sixth season (and still only 26) he has developed into one of the best wingers in the Prem.

Albeit that we know "being the best" and "being 1st choice for England" are completely different things, but where do you think Josh sits in the England reckoning?

He currently appears to be behind:
May, Daly, Ashton, Cockanasiga, Nowell, Earle who are all in the training squad
and
Roko, Solomona, Watson, Yarde who have all been picked relatively recently.

That probably puts him in a bracket somewhere with Wade and Woodburn as beyond 10th choice.

Are England really blessed with that many great wingers, or do we look upon those in our club a bit more favourably than we should?

mike909 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 16:07
Quote:
StevieWasp

Are England really blessed with that many great wingers, or do we look upon those in our club a bit more favourably than we should?

I think if you look at the Prem stats, then certainly Wade has been hard done by.

2017/18 Top England qualified Defenders Beaten - Wade with 81 and tries scored 13 Prem
Previous two seasons, Prem tries scored - 17 and 12, 83 in total, ONE CAP ffs....

And in 2016.17, the year after a dodgy RWC, he scored those 17 tries, the next best was 11 with Denny and Roko on 10 - yet who gets a go with England?

Wade may well not be up to international class - but given his scoring stats, I think we ought to know!

bg (IP Logged)
24 September, 2018 18:45
Quote:
StevieWasp
Quote:
Heathen

Albeit that we know "being the best" and "being 1st choice for England" are completely different things, but where do you think Josh sits in the England reckoning?

He currently appears to be behind:
May, Daly, Ashton, Cockanasiga, Nowell, Earle who are all in the training squad
and
Roko, Solomona, Watson, Yarde who have all been picked relatively recently.

That probably puts him in a bracket somewhere with Wade and Woodburn as beyond 10th choice.

Bertie is deceptively quick and a good finisher but he needs to add another string to his bow to elevate himself in the Eng rankings. He tends to stay glued to his wing and not come in field looking for broken field work/opportunities.

RossM (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 09:50
He tends to stay glued to his wing and not come in field looking for broken field work/opportunities.

Call me old fashioned, but I like to see my wingers on the wing, in position to take the final pass and then score. Ultimately their job is to score tries. I do not like to see a try butchered by a forward who is lurking on the periphery when the winger is infield 'looking for work'. If a winger does come infield then it should be to a planned play.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 10:10
Quote:
RossM
He tends to stay glued to his wing and not come in field looking for broken field work/opportunities.
Call me old fashioned, but I like to see my wingers on the wing, in position to take the final pass and then score. Ultimately their job is to score tries. I do not like to see a try butchered by a forward who is lurking on the periphery when the winger is infield 'looking for work'. If a winger does come infield then it should be to a planned play.

This, this!

For me the biggest frustration I have today is with this idea that you judge wingers on how they stop two on one overlaps that should be scored anyway, which is akin to judging soccer goalkeepers on their ability to save penalties, or on their ability to look for work and get buried at the bottom of a ruck in the middle of the field, which is akin to picking cricketers on their willingness or ability to field at short leg. There are many facets to wing play, sure, and being able to position themselves optimally in defense and being able to tackle are important, as is I am sure the ability to sometimes pop up on the shoulder off their wing from time to time, but the main skill they must have is the be the ability to run one in when there is half an overlap. Their lines, footwork and strength combine to form a package to aid them in this.

I always thought that the magnificent Shane Williams would have had zero games for England under the last three regimes.

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 10:18
yet another thread of on a Eddie Jones tangent.......(Sm120)

Spikey910 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 10:49
Well you can't accuse Jonny May of not being a finisher first and foremost. Elliot hasn't been so shabby on the left wing either.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 10:55
an interesting comparison considering one of Shane Williams' strengths was his ability to go looking for work away from his wing.

For me, the reason that Daly works on the wing is not his pace. We have others in the squad with pace. It's his ability to read the game and to know when it's right to add numbers to the midfield, and when it's right to stay out wide.

At Wasps, we have seen what is possible when a player such as WlR joins the attack in midfield and gives the defence an extra player to deal with.
Having WlR and Daly offer themselves as options at the same time gives the defenders a lot of things to deal with.

If your wingers just sit out wide, then you need some other kind of game changer in midfield to ask questions of the defence. I don't see that we have that for England, and I also feel that Wasps are better when we can pose those questions too.

Phillywasp (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 20:00
Both Booj and Bassett have been fantastic and deserve to keep their places for me when WLR is back for me.

It's actually Wade who is most in danger of losing his place when Willies back for me.

Robson, Sopoaga, Daly, Booj, JDJ, Bassett, WLR.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net