rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Joe out for 10 weeks
mrkwasp1 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 23:21
According to the Mail looks like Joe will be out for 10 weeks for Knee surgery.

Re: Joe out for 10 weeks
Beasties (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 08:33
Launchbury?

Worcswasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 08:59
Its just a continuation of great injury news isnt it? I know Sam Warburton is talking about the amount of games being played at the minute but ourselves and Bath seem to have taken a huge hit over the last couple of seasons.

mrkwasp1 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 09:00
Yes :- as per Mail

England will be without one of their leading forwards during the autumn Test campaign at Twickenham, as Joe Launchbury requires knee surgery and is expected to be out for up to 10 weeks.

The 27-year-old lock was omitted from Wasps' line-up for Friday's Heineken Champions Cup opener against holders Leinster in Dublin.

He had been hoping to recover in time to face the Irish province at the RDS Arena, but his quest for full fitness stalled and it has been agreed that an operation is required.
Launchbury suffered the injury during his club's victory over Leicester last month and he has been absent from the last three Wasps fixtures, having played the full 80 minutes in each of the opening three rounds of the new season.

With his post-surgery rehab likely to continue into December, he will be unavailable for the clashes with South Africa, New Zealand, Japan and Australia next month.

He missed the first Test in England's summer series against South Africa back in June, due to a calf injury, but recovered in time to start the remaining matches, in Bloemfontein and Cape Town.
He was also included in the first-choice pack for four of the national team's five games during the Six Nations earlier this year, as further proof that he is an integral part of Eddie Jones's World Cup plans.

An experienced figure and leader with 54 caps to his name, he will be sorely missed.

This setback adds to a Red Rose casualty list which also includes Dan Robson, after Wasps confirmed that the scrum-half would be sidelined for three months with ankle damage - along with Anthony Watson, Jonathan Joseph, Sam Simmonds, Ellis Genge, Ben Te'o and Beno Obano. In addition, Joe Marler has recently retired from international rugby.

neils (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 09:02
Agreed Worcs. But look at Lima's interview on another thread about how surprised he was by the size of Northern Hemisphere players and his comment on the need to hit the gym. Bigger very obviously means more and bigger injuries.

12 October, 2018 10:26
Official confirmation from Wasps

10-12 week according to this tweet

Also Dan out for 12 weeks

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2018 10:27 by DrHankPym(superhero).

Westy68 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 10:36
Wow we are again getting battered on the injury front. Something needs to be done about this, the players are not being protected enough.

Letís hope it doesnít affect our chances of a top 4 finish.

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 10:39
Quote:
neils
Agreed Worcs. But look at Lima's interview on another thread about how surprised he was by the size of Northern Hemisphere players and his comment on the need to hit the gym. Bigger very obviously means more and bigger injuries.

Terrible news regarding Joe, we ur injury record over the past 3 seasons has been astonishing.

One way to reduce the size of players would be to sort the ruck out. Stop people flopping over the ball by flying off their feet and reward the jackler.

This would require teams to move ball so that they become less susceptible to turnovers and equally resource the ruck more to prevent the turnover.

More movement, greater speed, smaller players.

Dgwasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 10:58
Poor luck for Joe, from a Wasps perspective at least we are well stocked at lock, even though we miss him as Captain. We have been unlucky with injury but I guess that is why Dai has expanded the squad for this year. We've been more unfortunate with Scrum Half as being down to Joe and Craig for such a long period is a worry. That said, a long lay off for Joe was what Dan used as a springboard to being number 1.

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 10:59
Do what they do in sevens. Immediate call of holding on the second a jackal gets hands on the ball, because it should have been released and sitting on the ground.

The effect in sevens is to encourage the offload.

Going in and flopping on the ruck should have the same outcome.

So should hitting any player standing in the vicinity of a ruck, the so-called clearing out.

DuncanS (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 13:31
Looking at the silver lining here. A lot of the time Joe will miss would have been international time anyway (bad for him, I know, but Iím a Wasps fan first and foremost). A problem for Joe in recent years has been burnout come seasonís end, due to his perpetual motion style (heís like a Marathon runner). Second row is an area in which we are pretty well-stocked (though obviously the rest are all a step down from Joe), and as such a 2.5-3 month layoff may well be a blessing in disguise in terms of Joeís overall career.

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 13:34
Quote:
Westy68
Wow we are again getting battered on the injury front. Something needs to be done about this, the players are not being protected enough.

How do you protect against a knee injury...this is rugby.

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 15:20
Got to say, I'm not convinced that changes to the game will make much difference.
Even attempts to lower tackle heights wont have much of an impact on concussion rates because playser are always putting their own heads into dangerous positions, as stated above, its rugby. its painful

wombles222 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 15:42
Although I feel hugely for Joe and the team, I have now become resigned to these injuries and their impacts upon the individual and the team. TO be honest we bemoan long injury lists, but all teams now have them in this country and I think unless we are able to balance the way players are managed like Ireland do I cannot see this changing for the foreseeable. Difficult times!

Boooo (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 16:00
There's just too much high-intensity rugby and too much high-intensity training.
It's simply not sustainable.

I think this season is going to be a watershed season...and unfortunately, I think many of the top players might well be missing from the World Cup.

Some teams are already on their knees with injuries...and we haven't even got the brute force of Europe and the Champions Cup yet.

Then the Autumn internationals with a resurgent South Africa and the crazy power of the All Blacks.
Then winter and the Six Nations.

All in the World Cup year where every player in with a chance is going to play with niggles as long as they can...and at an intensity like no other...just to give themselves a chance.
Along with Eddie's vigorous training camps...and the ever-increasing size of the players in the Premiership...I don't see how it can be sustainable.

It's all going to come crashing down soon.
There will be rise in operations and health and conditioning staff...and a drop in performance and value for money.

We'll never get to see all our best players all at once!

Ireland, on the other hand, seem to get the balance right and rest players much more frequently. They pick and choose the big fixtures.

Unfortunately, without central contracts and common sense the English game is heading towards a sharp cliff.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 16:05
I know prem league soccer stats suggest that players are significantly more likely to experience injury at the end of the second half, which would suggest in that sport that fatigue plays a part in some injuries, even if not this case. Assuming it transfers, it should be possible to have a greater injury rate by getting your training wrong. Whether we could ever see that at any given club, given the small numbers and the fact there are presumably many collision injuries that will not be fatigue related, is up for debate, as is the impact of subs on injury rates, for one.

Westy68 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 16:15
Quote:
Hymenoptera
Quote:
Westy68

How do you protect against a knee injury...this is rugby.

Thatís not the only injury we have, if it was then I wouldnít have an issue with it.

I would like to watch the best players play on a more regular basis, not 2nd or 3rd string players.

The injury levels are to high and it needs sorting

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net