rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

What would have happened..........
RossM (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 16:32
......if we didn't have Ash in the 23. Could have been uncontested scrums with both TT and Tom Cruse having HIAs in the first half. To tell you truth, I didn't expect TC to pass his. Is there a sanction for uncontested scrums?

Re: What would have happened..........
Shugs (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 17:45
Yes, would have been uncontested scrums. I don't think there would be a sanction as you can't do much more than select two hookers. I was hoping that in the confusion we might sneak Cruse back on in place of Taylor and leave Ash on as well!

lamiasquadra (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 17:52
1 Before moving to uncontested scrums, Zulu could have been moved to hooker with Harris coming on As tight head.
2 the s@nction, if there is no front row sub bailable is that no other sub could be brought on, so that the hookerless team woulhave to play with 14 players.

Phillywasp (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 17:53
I think the laws say we have to have at least 2 props and 1 hooker on the bench. As long as we've done that, I don't think we could have been penalised.
If we hadn't done that bit, I suppose we could have been liable to sanction regardless of HIA and injury situations.

DGPWasp (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 18:49
As said above, pretty sure that if injury leaves a team unable to put out a complete front row leading to uncontested scrums then they can't bring a replacement on and go down to 14.
(To avoid spurious allegations levelled at certain teams that they might have engineered uncontested scrums in the past in order to negate an opponent's perceived advantage.)
Not sure if there's an exception where it involves an HIA to avoid a situation where a team might leave a player showing signs of concussion on the field if he can't then be replaced.

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 19:17
I thought that when there was a concern over us having a front row available, we get the game called off and all go for pizza

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 19:37
Quote:
StevieWasp
I thought that when there was a concern over us having a front row available, we get the game called off and all go for pizza

Your forgetting plan b which is forget to turn the under soil heating on!

neils (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 20:07
On ref-link heard Bath pitchside coach try to tell the ref that Ash was not a hooker. Bath trying for uncontesteds?

JF (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 20:38
Quote:
DGPWasp
As said above, pretty sure that if injury leaves a team unable to put out a complete front row leading to uncontested scrums then they can't bring a replacement on and go down to 14.

Aaah, but is injury the same as an HIA assessment? The former may be subjective, the latter is bound by protocol. (As a law student many decades ago this sort of thing still gets me going.)

Phillywasp (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 21:17
Thinking about it, the governing bodies would have a hard time enforcing any "punishment" for uncontested scrums.
With player welfare really in focus, players could feel pressured to stay on even when injured to avoid their club facing sanction.

Phillywasp (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 21:17
Thinking about it, the governing bodies would have a hard time enforcing any "punishment" for uncontested scrums.
With player welfare really in focus, players could feel pressured to stay on even when injured to avoid their club facing sanction.

Nigel Med (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 12:41
We had the requisite two props and one hooker on the bench. Injuries happen and you may replace injured players with a substitute. If both your starting hooker and replacement get injured it's unfortunate but you won't get sanctioned, why should you? it's not something that can be blamed on the club. Perhaps Bath should be sanctioned for injuring both of our nominated hookers? equally dumb suggestion. We were fortunate that we had a further experienced front row replacement in Ash, would we have been sanctioned if he had been injured later in the match? Highly possible given how he throws his substantial frame about at pace? Of course not and no, we wouldn't be made to play with 14 if we still had replacements on the bench, we would play with 15 and scrums would be uncontested.

chunky24 (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 13:58
You would have to play with 14 as you are not allowed to replace the front row player whose injury causes it to go to uncontested scrums.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net