rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Re: That was truely awful
Westy68 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 17:18
Really hope Willis can step up, would be awesome to have both Willis brothers performing well for us.

What Iíve heard and the very limited view of Tom and his attitude, he does seem to be the one that I believe could make a good challenge for 8.

Then we have a problem of whom to play, Nathan, Alex or Tom.

Does this give the opportunity to let Nathan go if Tom steps up. Can him or Alex be as good or better than Nathan. Big calls I think

StevieWasp (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 17:26
Quote:
Westy68
Really hope Willis can step up, would be awesome to have both Willis brothers performing well for us.
What Iíve heard and the very limited view of Tom and his attitude, he does seem to be the one that I believe could make a good challenge for 8.

Then we have a problem of whom to play, Nathan, Alex or Tom.

Does this give the opportunity to let Nathan go if Tom steps up. Can him or Alex be as good or better than Nathan. Big calls I think

Players obviously mature and hit their peaks at different times.
However, Alex Rieder is already 27, and now has 2 serious injuries.

Even before that, although he was extremely good for us whenever he played, he wasn't considered a starter with all players fit.
Before his injuries, I don't think anyone was calling for him to be included in an England squad, or even a Saxon's one.

Nathan is an England international and a regular in the squad, so for Alex to be a better option than him for us, you've got to think that he'd be on the fringe of an England call up

He may be an exception that defies the odds, but I'd be surprised to see him improve his ability significantly after 2 serious injuries and in his late 20's.

neils (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 17:38
I'd be careful with young Willis. He looked injured towards the end of the match but wouldn't come off because there was no forward replacement. He is good and at age level considered better than his brother but Jack got to play himself in at first team level. Remember we are the team of the broken Rees and Jones in this position.

Shugs (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 17:58
I agree with the comments about Neal, Matthews and Willis, I also thought Morris did OK. Where I differ is that if 4 players have emerged who could justifiably now go into the first 23 this cup has done its job for me. Unfortunately I also agree about Watson and we are in desperate need of wing cover.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 18:08
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
Quote:
samlee99
Maybe you should move to another city and start again?

Yet again the see you next Tuesday returns, and he/she still claims not to be a troll

See you next Tuesday?

Not trolling just offering advice to the supporters in your ever mobile World.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2018 18:08 by samlee99.

Harry the Wasp (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 18:12
I bought one of the ref radios from the club shop and what concerned me was the total silence from the Wasps team. With such a small crowd generating so little noise I could hear everything being said. The Bristol players were constantly shouting and encouraging one another but the Wasps team acted like they were in a library. I think we have lost a few of the "gobby" players like Haskell who would gee up the rest of the team when things aren't going well.

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 18:33
Quote:
Harry the Wasp
I bought one of the ref radios from the club shop and what concerned me was the total silence from the Wasps team. With such a small crowd generating so little noise I could hear everything being said. The Bristol players were constantly shouting and encouraging one another but the Wasps team acted like they were in a library. I think we have lost a few of the "gobby" players like Haskell who would gee up the rest of the team when things aren't going well.

I think they have been told to be quiet and keep to the game plan, no matter what. I have said it time and again, but having no on pitch leaders, relying entirely on water boys with mics, re-programming the guys as they play, is a recipe for disaster. It undermines all that is good about rugby; the flair, the flexibility of thought, the struggle of the whole team. It turns them in to individuals, each given their own robotic plan, never knowing quite what the other guy is doing or going to do.

They have engineered the Wasps out of Wasps.

coddy (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 18:53
Guy Thompson was the most vocal in the squad when he was on the field.

ricohchezwasp (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 18:57
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
Quote:
samlee99

Yet again the see you next Tuesday returns, and he/she still claims not to be a troll

See you next Tuesday?

I am surprised you didnít get the reference, perhaps not common saying used under your bridge........

Not a Doctor and not a troll!!

Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 20:00
Was Ambrose any use? Any point of difference?

Matt82 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 20:14
Quote:
DGPWasp
Hughes is still suspended for Northampton so why not give Willis a go? Bench at least. Ash, YY, then Willis or Nemo with the other on the bench.

Personally I'd go Ash, Young and Willis as the back row next week with Nemo off the bench. I'd also suggest Morris wouldn't be far away as he's had a good start with us and seems to get better each game.

jonnydeane (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 20:30
Just watching the game back again, Morris was outstanding throughout.

Biggest issue second time around still was the box kicking.
Totally agree regarding comments above with Simpson and his routine, the poor chase but will add it was clearly a preplannned tactic as Lima did not mind at all even if something was on he didn't seem to be flapping about like Cips used to when he wanted the ball instead. Not a cips Lima comparison at all there just a note that the box kicking was a tactic which every time was kicked at least 10 metres too far, never allowing us to compete and therefore was just used to give them the ball back. If we just wanted rid of it we could have at least just kicked long and pushed them back a further 20 metres.
Love Simmo, but he does much better when he just plays what's in front of him

Matt82 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 20:47
Quote:
jonnydeane
Totally agree regarding comments above with Simpson and his routine, the poor chase but will add it was clearly a preplannned tactic as Lima did not mind at all even if something was on he didn't seem to be flapping about like Cips used to when he wanted the ball instead. Not a cips Lima comparison at all there just a note that the box kicking was a tactic which every time was kicked at least 10 metres too far, never allowing us to compete and therefore was just used to give them the ball back. If we just wanted rid of it we could have at least just kicked long and pushed them back a further 20 metres.
Love Simmo, but he does much better when he just plays
what's in front of him

+1 on Morris. Thought he carried well and was one of very few whose line speed was good and he hit his tackles.
I don't think the box kicking issues are a new thing. I think we are tactically a poor kicking team in general whether it's box kicking (which includes Robson) or kicking from hand. I've felt over the last few seasons our kick chase from box kicking is very poor and when we kick from hand we very rarely make touch to pin a team back. We seem to kick straight to them and again don't chase. Poor kicking alongside non existent line speed makes giving tries away inevitable.

Shugs (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 20:59
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
jonnydeane
Totally agree regarding comments above with Simpson and his routine, the poor chase but will add it was clearly a preplannned tactic as Lima did not mind at all even if something was on he didn't seem to be flapping about like Cips used to when he wanted the ball instead.
Not a cips Lima comparison at all there just a note that the box kicking was a tactic which every time was kicked at least 10 metres too far, never allowing us to compete and therefore was just used to give them the ball back. If we just wanted rid of it we could have at least just kicked long and pushed them back a further 20 metres.
Love Simmo, but he does much better when he just plays
what's in front of him

+1 on Morris. Thought he carried well and was one of very few whose line speed was good and he hit his tackles.
I don't think the box kicking issues are a new thing. I think we are tactically a poor kicking team in general whether it's box kicking (which includes Robson) or kicking from hand. I've felt over the last few seasons our kick chase from box kicking is very poor and when we kick from hand we very rarely make touch to pin a team back. We seem to kick straight to them and again don't chase. Poor kicking alongside non existent line speed makes giving tries away inevitable.
Agree, and just to add that our re-starts have been terrible as well. We started on Sunday by planting one right on top of Piatau who literally didn't have to move.

Spikey910 (IP Logged)
12 November, 2018 21:01
Also completely agree about the dismal pre-planned box kicking. I have no issue when itís direct to touch as an exit strategy, but as it was used on Sunday it simply gifts possession back to our oppp with space for them to use it. If weíre going to box kick, why donít we have a fast, organised chase? If we donít want to do that Iíd rather we keep the ball in hand. Given we made so many mistakes in contact and got turned over all the time when Smith came on, Joeís box kicking became yet another way we simply surrendered possession and lost any momentum we were trying to build. Whatís happened to Daiís mantra of respecting the ball? Sundayís team didnít really have our recent ability of being able to strike off 1 or 2 phases, so surely we needed to keep the more?

Obviously a handful of players furthered their case, but I think my main realisation was that some of Sundays starters just arenít Prem material and shouldnít be persevered with. Iíve always hoped Gaby would come good but to be honest Iíve given up hoping, he shows nothing. I canít remember one good game heís had in a Wasps shirt. MLB looked streets ahead when came on. Watson has now also had plenty of chances, and although heíll likely finish clear opportunities, he doesnít impose himself on the game and is often lightweight and fairly anonymous. Time to try other options. I donít really think that Simpson was good either, I thought Hampson looked sharper and more inventive when he came on. Joe doesnít do anyone any favours playing like Wigglesworth, it may have been the plan, but itís a poor one.

Matt82 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 05:56
Quote:
Spikey910
Also completely agree about the dismal pre-planned box kicking. I have no issue when itís direct to touch as an exit strategy, but as it was used on Sunday it simply gifts possession back to our oppp with space for them to use it. If weíre going to box kick, why donít we have a fast, organised chase? If we donít want to do that Iíd rather we keep the ball in hand. Given we made so many mistakes in contact and got turned over all the time when Smith came on, Joeís box kicking became yet another way we simply surrendered possession and lost any momentum we were trying to build. Whatís
happened to Daiís mantra of respecting the ball? Sundayís team didnít really have our recent ability of being able to strike off 1 or 2 phases, so surely we needed to keep the more?

Obviously a handful of players furthered their case, but I think my main realisation was that some of Sundays starters just arenít Prem material and shouldnít be persevered with. Iíve always hoped Gaby would come good but to be honest Iíve given up hoping, he shows nothing. I canít remember one good game heís had in a Wasps shirt. MLB looked streets ahead when came on. Watson has now also had plenty of chances, and although heíll likely finish clear opportunities, he doesnít impose himself on the game and is often lightweight and fairly anonymous. Time to try other options. I donít really think that Simpson was good either, I thought Hampson looked sharper and more inventive when he came on. Joe doesnít do anyone any favours playing like Wigglesworth, it may have been the plan, but itís a poor one.

I'd agree with almost all of that other than the view on Hampson. From what I've seen his not a Prem level 9. There's a massive gap between Robson/Simpson and him. I thought his passing was awful, most of the time players taking the ball at head height. Then in the last play of the game he was very slow when we were camped on their line. I was surprised Porter didn't get time on the bench at the weekend again.

matelot22 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 07:04
Quote:
samlee99
See you next Tuesday?

Hahaha, I think it's hilarious that your life is so sad and pathetic that you dislike us enough to have to come on here and vent your spleen with your petty snipes. Please continue with your bitterness, may we drive you round the bend with envy, it's most entertaining.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 11:23
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
ricohchezwasp
Quote:
samlee99

See you next Tuesday?

I am surprised you didnít get the reference, perhaps not common saying used under your bridge........

Tuesday returns and under bridges. You seem to be very confused. Hope you are receiving help for your obvious issues.

samlee99 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 11:25
Quote:
matelot22
Quote:
samlee99
See you next Tuesday?

Hahaha, I think it's hilarious that your life is so sad and pathetic that you dislike us enough to have to come on here and vent your spleen with your petty snipes. Please continue with your bitterness, may we drive you round the bend with envy, it's most entertaining.

Hahaha, I think it's hilarious that your life is so sad and pathetic that you have nothing better to do than reply to messages that you dislike so much. Please continue with your nonsense (especially the bit about envy) it's most entertaining.

matelot22 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2018 11:30
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
matelot22
Quote:
samlee99
See you next Tuesday?

Hahaha, I think it's hilarious that your life is so sad and pathetic that you have nothing better to do than reply to messages that you dislike so much. Please continue with your nonsense (especially the bit about envy) it's most entertaining.

You really are a joy. I'm just perusing my club forum, as I do on a regular basis, not going out of my way to spew vitriol on other clubs.

As you rightly point out, Tuesday has come around, so I'll see you next Thursday(Sm42)

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net