rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***


Baldrick's latest cunning plot
Old Geezer (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:32
Stretching it a bit, I know, but McCall does look a bit like Baldrick doesn't he?

Anyway, forgive the identikit licence on that one. The cunning plot is to buy up all the good players to stop other teams having them. I hear on the grapevine that they are going to recruit the whole England team by the start of next season.

It is actually quite shrewd. Daly's England slot may be less certain if Watson comes back and Brown regains form. And now that Ashton is back in favour and we have this new boy from Bath (hose name I cannot pronounce let alone remember well enough to get the spelling correct here in my man cave). He might be much more available to play for them than he has been for us.

On a more serious note, it is quite worrying if we can't hold on to our stars (and I don't mean those whom we know are short term like WLR and Beale). It is not a problem Sarries or Exeter have.

 
Re: Baldrick's latest cunning plot
Dgwasp (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:44
To be fair even Exeter are having to juggle their squad a bit now that contracts are coming up for renewal, and they are also in the market for established names with the introduction of Hogg for next season.

Are they not potentially going to lose Cowan-Dickie at the end of this year and have obviously offloaded Campo already.

As a club we really need to nip these off-field "issues" in the bud. I hope if this CVC money appears it is used to control the debt and install the promised training facilities, that should then encourage top coaches and players into the club and provide a stable footing. I try and remain fairly positive and apply some rational thought to dismiss a lot of the negative stories that seem to be appearing, however I can't help notice that these articles of doom and gloom seem to be appearing more frequently of late.

 
Re: Baldrick's latest cunning plot
bg (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:59
Quote:
Dgwasp
To be fair even Exeter are having to juggle their squad a bit now that contracts are coming up for renewal, and they are also in the market for established names with the introduction of Hogg for next season.
Are they not potentially going to lose Cowan-Dickie at the end of this year and have obviously offloaded Campo already.

As a club we really need to nip these off-field "issues" in the bud. I hope if this CVC money appears it is used to control the debt and install the promised training facilities, that should then encourage top coaches and players into the club and provide a stable footing. I try and remain fairly positive and apply some rational thought to dismiss a lot of the negative stories that seem to be appearing, however I can't help notice that these articles of doom and gloom seem to be appearing more frequently of late.

The CVC buyout is very interesting. If it does happen I hope the one off injection of cash is used wisely (capital investment) and not swallowed up by wage demands over 2 or 3 years.

Unless CVC can increase revenue by the same % as they bought of PRL then each club's revenue from PRL/RFU will drop by a similar amount as CVC will be taking their 30% share of yearly dividends each year



Why not try the 'other' Wasps forum?
[onceawasp.com]

 
Re: Baldrick's latest cunning plot
Gaz (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 09:05
Quote:
Old Geezer
Stretching it a bit, I know, but McCall does look a bit like Baldrick doesn't he?

Not really!

 
Re: Baldrick's latest cunning plot
Wasp1867 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:35
LCD set to sign a new contract with Chiefs - was being looked at by Quins.

 
Re: Baldrick's latest cunning plot
Bzzzz (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 15:35
Excuse the football analogy but King Kev - Keegan did similarly with Newcastle back in the day... bought as many top players as he was allowed to afford, half of them not getting played from one week to the next and he won titles. Shearer came and scored 25 goals in one season. The point being, if you have the players they cannot play against you. Now players are so expensive to keep, not just the initial fees, that this tactic is impossible.

That is why the salary cap is vital for a level playing field between clubs and why Sarries, or any other team, by breaking the salary cap in whichever way they manage, are cheating and should be held to account.

 
Re: Baldrick's latest cunning plot
Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:52
Quote:
Bzzzz
Excuse the football analogy but King Kev - Keegan did similarly with Newcastle back in the day... bought as many top players as he was allowed to afford, half of them not getting played from one week to the next and he won titles. Shearer came and scored 25 goals in one season. The point being, if you have the players they cannot play against you. Now players are so expensive to keep, not just the initial fees, that this tactic is impossible.
That is why the salary cap is vital for a level playing field between clubs and why Sarries, or any other team, by breaking the salary cap in whichever way they manage, are cheating and should be held to account.

Hence the reason why Sarries are employing this strategy, they donít play by the same rules.

 
Re: Baldrick's latest cunning plot
Shugs (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 18:16
I take the point about hanging on to our stars being worrying entirely. In the interest of balance we have been able to attract an AB 10 and a world class 6 in Shields alongside some useful front row talent. What we also don't know is how badly Wasps want to keep Le Roux, Hughes and Daly? There is a strong argument that all three command high salaries and for a variety of reasons don't appear in Wasps shirts enough. For me, Hughes especially has had a very disappointing couple of seasons prior to this one (where he's looked better but appeared only sporadically).

 
Re: Baldrick's latest cunning plot
Penn Wasp (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 19:58
Shame that investing in someone with potential - once developed, ends up costing money, making that player less available and eventually losing them.

With no silverware to show for it

 
Re: Baldrick's latest cunning plot
Shugs (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:37
Part of that is the lunacy of playing international games at the same time as Prem ones. I agree entirely with you. Having said that if Bristol are willing to pay half a million quid per year for Hughes that's a bad call from them and not matching it is the right one from us.

 
Re: Baldrick's latest cunning plot
bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 08:36
Quote:
Bzzz
half of them not getting played from one week to the next and he won titles
I'm pretty sure he never won anything with Newcastle.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?