rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Phil Blake
Brumwasp (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 19:15
So Phil Blake has returned to Tigers.

[www.leicestertigers.com]

My brother is a Leicester supporter and he's absolutely livid.

Re: Phil Blake
Dgwasp (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 19:20
I guess this goes some way to explain why we've not managed to recruit a defence coach as yet given that it seems Blakey is the best there is available at the moment.

Time will tell if our patience will pay off, given the world cup will be done for another 4 years there may well be some fresh talent on the market.

Heathen (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 21:51
Dave Eliis still an option then?

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2019 22:44
Quote:
Heathen

Apparently he applied for the Tigers job and was interviewed so obviously up for a Premiership role. No brainer surely?

bg (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 08:43
Wasn't Blake sacked from tiggers for betting irregularities. Seems peculiar that he would want to go back and likewise, that tiggers would welcome him back.

This is a good example of not burning bridges when parting company with an employer though.

Why not try the 'other' Wasps forum?
[onceawasp.com]

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 09:26
Quote:
bg
Wasn't Blake sacked from tiggers for betting irregularities. Seems peculiar that he would want to go back and likewise, that tiggers would welcome him back.
This is a good example of not burning bridges when parting company with an employer though.

From what I gather Mauger wanted to bring in Hansen (Which didn't work out at all) as one of his conditions for the head coach role.

The betting thing happened after the call was already made and he got a ban.

That being said he got on with everyone at the club.

Interesting it's only a short term deal to begin with.

BdeB (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 09:33
Quote:
Dgwasp
I guess this goes some way to explain why we've not managed to recruit a defence coach as yet given that it seems Blakey is the best there is available at the moment.
Time will tell if our patience will pay off, given the world cup will be done for another 4 years there may well be some fresh talent on the market.

I agree. if Tigers who have the resources and are desperate to fill this role have to return to someone they passed on and someone we have moved on from, it shows that it is easier said than done. Maybe better to have someone filling in than make a substandard appointment.

RossM (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 09:36
Quote:
Andy1210
Quote:
Heathen

Apparently he applied for the Tigers job and was interviewed so obviously up for a Premiership role. No brainer surely?

Why is it a no brainer when he has (presumably) failed at his interview with Tigers?

welsh wasp (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 09:59
You are assuming that interviews are an objective measure of selecting people for jobs. Far from it.

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 10:06
I don't see the point in appointing someone for the sake of it if they are not considered good enough.
If there are loads of excellent unemployed defence coaches out there don't you think Wasps would have signed one by now?
Don't you also think Tigers would have signed one rather than taken Blake back?

There is also a question of whether signing a defence coach half way through a season might actually be counter productive as the players would have to adjust to a different scheme plan..?

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 10:31
Quote:
BdeB
Quote:
Dgwasp

I agree. if Tigers who have the resources and are desperate to fill this role have to return to someone they passed on and someone we have moved on from, it shows that it is easier said than done. Maybe better to have someone filling in than make a substandard appointment.

TBF Cockerill wanted to keep Blake, so wasn't really passed on just Mauger was set on bringing with him Hansen.

Despite his record at Wasps (Although you did have the highest tackle completion in the league with him) he did have the best defensive record in the league with his season at Tigers so it's not hard to see why he is rated in the Tigers setup.

39 tries with a pretty bad injury rate that season was decent.

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2019 12:41
Quote:
RossM
Quote:
Andy1210
Quote:
Heathen

Why is it a no brainer when he has (presumably) failed at his interview with Tigers?

Do you know why he didn't get the Tigers job? I'd hazard a guess it was because Blake is well know there, especially by the senior players and Murphy said: "We know him pretty well, we're pretty comfortable with him".

Ellis always was a brilliant defence coach but had a lower profile than Shaun Edwards so probably didn't get the plaudits he deserved. I couldn't think of a better available candidate especially if he's local.

alcovwasp (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 09:34
Sure I read somewhere that Ellis has been talking to/been interviewed by Wasps. It wouldn't surprise me if he came to us. Kenilworth where he coaches now is right next to Leamington where our new training base will be.

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
11 January, 2019 09:46
Quote:
alcovwasp
Sure I read somewhere that Ellis has been talking to/been interviewed by Wasps. It wouldn't surprise me if he came to us. Kenilworth where he coaches now is right next to Leamington where our new training base will be.

The two grounds are less than 3 miles apart, with the bypass (A46) between them.

Why not use the 'other' Wasps forum? [onceawasp.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net