rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
DY throws shade at Daly & Saracens
April Fool.74 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 11:41
From Bobby Bridge’s Cov Tel blog this morning. While he was waiting for the England 23 to be named he posted a quote from Dai. Intimating that operations at Sarries are darker than their home jerseys.

“I am a little bit surprised he’s going to Sarries with all the players they’ve got and I am a little bit surprised they wanted to fork out that type of money for Elliot.
Not that he is not a quality player, not that he is not worth it, because he is, but they have got a number of other players as well. We did everything we could to keep him. You can only do what you can do, there’s lots of things that have been written and most of it is rubbish as normal. He certainly hasn’t got to Sarries for less money that’s one thing.
It isn’t a massive money decision. He’s not that way inclined but nobody moves for pay cuts or the same money.
You can take that out of the equation.”

I know Mr Wray is litigious so Cov Tel must be sure of their ground.

Re: DY throws shade at Daly & Saracens
matelot22 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:13
Interesting post, as you say, given Sarries are not scared of throwing legal weight around Dai most likely is telling the truth here.

Westy68 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:26
Hopefully that will stop the sarries supporters coming on here thinking everyone goes to them for less money and the the real truth is how do they stay under the cap

alcovwasp (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:45
I don't think anyone other than Sarries supporters would have believed he had gone there for less/the same money.

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:46
Good on Dai, Premier Rugby have got themselves in a real mess here by not punishing Saracens when they were previously caught cheating. They have enabled their actions and it's making a mockery of the league and the salary cap as a whole.

Andy Goode also made a comment on his podcast, good they are finally being called out more.

Gaz (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 12:50
Dai isn't saying anything controversial in that extract. Just that Elliot hasn't moved on for less money ...

08 February, 2019 12:51
Dai says he hasn't gone there for less money, there's nothing to suggest that he isn't on the same money. For a start how much money was he on at Wasps?

Coupled with the fact that a least for this season and probably next Sarries will be competing for honours, moving to there isn't that much of a surprise.

edit: changed is to isn't

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 13:53 by DrHankPym(superhero).

sarricen (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 13:23
I know sarries fans aren't receiving a warm welcome on here atm but...

Does he mean less money than he's on already?

Or less money than what Wasps offered?

He was very ambiguous with his wording. I've heard from very good sources that he's accepted less (not much, mind) than what wasps were offering but of course more than what he is currently being paid

Marlow Nick (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 13:25
Quote:
DrHankPym(superhero)
Coupled with the fact that a least for this season and probably next Sarries will be competing for honours, moving to there is that much of a surprise.

Which position will Elliot take?
Will he be fullback and keep an England international, a Welsh international and Lion on the bench?
Will he be a winger and keep a Scotland internation and Lions tourist on the bench?
Will he be a centre and keep an England international on the bench?

Forwards need rotation, back less so. I dont believe anyone will go tom play for Saracens wanting to be a bench player so if Elliot's gone for glory not money then Sarries must be finding creative ways to keep the rest of the squad busy running their coffee shops and other businesses.

It STINKS

April Fool.74 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 13:27
Dai does state “no one moves for a pay cut or same money”.
That fact that ED signed his last contract after the Lions tour would indicate that we weren’t ‘low-balling ‘ him.

I have no problem with him seeking a new challenge & chasing top European honours with the Fez. Wasps agreed whatever clause was there, so we have to live with it.

But when the DOR of another team who have been competing at the top end of the league can’t see how all those pieces fit under the cap. That speaks 10 times louder than any of our conjecture. Dai know the going rate for these guys and how EPS payments factor in.

The other point I took from it was that ED might see his playing time diminishing. However that could be part of his decision. The Irish guys only play a handful of league games and are fresh for Europe & internationals.

However, the only way Saracens can manage that is by having a deep quality squad. Which brings us back to the issue of a salary cap!

DBee (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 13:41
The cap question is a very interesting one. The depth and quality of the Sarries squad is head and shoulders above every other team. We’re paying up to the cap which either means we’re paying over the odds for players or Sarries are very creative. I’d assume that a few good players must be leaving to make way for Daly.

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 13:49
Quote:
sarricen

He was very ambiguous with his wording. I've heard from very good sources that he's accepted less (not much, mind) than what wasps were offering but of course more than what he is currently being paid

Now who to believe, a message board posters sources, or a Premiership DoR who has been in the business for a long long time.

That is a tricky one.....

John Tee (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 14:07
The whole thing leaves a nasty taste Imv. Losing a top player to the best team in the league who have the same salary budget is 'odd'
I do think Wasps are hindered to a degree financially but if they state they pay to cap plus two marquees, then you are paying your squad minus 2 out of 7mill...which everyone else has to do.
How you cut that cake is down to the individual club but certain teams seem to have internationals throughout the squad.
It doesnt take much maths to work out typically 38-40 into 7mill. Assume Farrell and Itoje are marquee and outside of that.

Westy68 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 14:12
Quote:
Bracken&amp;Macken
Quote:
sarricen

Now who to believe, a message board posters sources, or a Premiership DoR who has been in the business for a long long time.

I’ll give sarricen his due, as I wouldn’t have the balls to come on any site and still defend sarries.

I’m just waiting for him to say the sun doesn’t rise in the morning

Rifleman Harris (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 14:14
They can't both be...at most only one of them will be marquee.

AKWasp (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 14:18
Quote:
Rifleman Harris
They can't both be...at most only one of them will be marquee.

Also got Billy (top 3 number 8 in the world) Mako (top 3 LH) Jamie George (some way best English hooker) Goode (top 5 FB?) There’s too many players in the team who would be marquee at most other clubs to not pay half their (really large) squad peanuts

Marlow Nick (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 14:48
Assuming Itoje and Farrell are marquee players what is everyone's guess at the market rates for the following non-marquee players?

1. England and Lions Hooker
2. England and Lions prop
3. England and Lions lock
4. England lock (a third one !)
5. England and Lions no.8
6. International experienced scrum half not currently on international duty and therefore valuable
7. England and Lions centre not currently on international duty and therefore valuable
8. England centre not currently on international duty and therefore valuable
9. International experienced winger not currently on international duty and therefore valuable
10. Scotland & Lions experienced winger not currently on international duty and therefore valuable
11. England experienced full back not currently on international duty and therefore valuable
12. Wales and Lions full back

Assuming another club wanted to recruit 12 players of this standard without the "something special" at Saracens how much would it cost? I struggle to see how these 12 could cost less than £4M which would leave only £3M for the remaining 32 squad members. Could you assemble a squad of 32 players to support your 14 superstars if you only paid an average of less than £100k each?

Oh and these 32 players cannot all be academy / championship standard - 14 of the "others" on an average of less than £100k are internationals with over 250 caps between them.

Something special at Saracens stinks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 14:53 by Marlow Nick.

Rob Smith (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 15:16
Who cares what Saracens or other clubs are doing, that’s the business of the regulatory bodies that exist.

What we want to know, if the move was not for money as Dai says, Dai must also know why, whether it be to Saracens or A.N. Other. Just tell us ?

[robsbl0g.blogspot.co.uk]
@robsmithrugby

sarricen (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 15:19
Quote:
Bracken&amp;Macken
Quote:
sarricen

The point I'm making though is he was extremely ambiguous with his wording. Less money than he's on now or less money than he was offered by Wasps. I'd bet good money Dai meant the former knowing the latter is true, and wants to create ambiguity.

RossM (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 15:35
Please note: It is impossible for Itoje and Farrell to both be marquee players.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net