rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Dai - “In a Dark Place”
PhilH (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 22:56

Re: Dai - “In a Dark Place”
Heathen (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 23:03
You really feel for Dai. The major issue regarding the performance of the team that he's got no real support to help him.

horusthewasp (IP Logged)
08 February, 2019 23:51
For him to say “This year has been the hardest year since I've been at Wasps“ is very telling - more so when you take into account what we’ve been through. I feel quite a few of the departures were particularly difficult for him - not because of the fact they are leaving but how they decided to do it.

Full respect for putting his hand up on certain issues but equally important is his stated aim for this and next season. Ambitious but achievable given the core squad to do it. As they say it’s always at its darkest before the dawn...

You have our full support Dai.

Old Geezer (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 00:37
I'm with you, Dai.

wombles222 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 08:23
Dai will always have my support and loyalty, + my respect! This man has been there through our darkest days from the one tackle from oblivion to where we are now. You can see this season has hurt him, and it has been hard watching key players leave (although every one is understandable and NOT a sign of trouble at mill as some may try to make us believe).

I think the events of this year can serve as a galvinising moment. It can force the mind to nake the tough but correct calls when it comes to player and coaching recruitment, it can serve as a valuable learning curve and the pain experienced can be used as a motivational tool when challenges arise in the future.

This has been a hard year to date, but if we can finish top 6, it says a lot about where we are as a club and how far we have come, as our last ‘crisis’ season had us nearly relegated, it is very hard not to feel positive when the compare these two seasons.

What is clear now is that we are by accident in transition, but this is a chance to get some things right, recruit well and start getting our academy system to conveyor belt players of quality towards the first XV so we can achieve consistancy year upon year.

There is a silver lining possible to all of this, and for Dai to lay it out there in print shows that we have the right man at the helm!

In Dai we trust......we’re with you big man!

WONKYWASP1 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 08:51
+ 1

steve from cov (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 08:58
Dai is a legend and respected throughout the game.

We could easily have lost him when his last contract expired so Dai deserves a lot of credit for sticking around.

His lengthy contract shows that Derek is behind him.

Shugs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 09:46
Right behind DY. For me he's been badly let down this season by Wilson, Wade and Daly. He's then tried to do the right thing by WLR having handed him the opportunity to re-establish himself with SA and been stung by it. I'm sure he'll build again and get it right.

Rob Smith (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 10:53
Not a fan of Dai. Club over rides everything, everyone for me and I think this is very inappropriate, misjudged statement. Takes me back to Dai’s first season when things weren’t smooth but nonetheless manageable but we dropped from 9th to 11th. Would get behind him with a change of his management style and coaching philosophy but don’t see that at present.

[robsbl0g.blogspot.co.uk]
@robsmithrugby

Shugs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:14
Quote:
Rob Smith
Not a fan of Dai. Club over rides everything, everyone for me and I think this is very inappropriate, misjudged statement. Takes me back to Dai’s first season when things weren’t smooth but nonetheless manageable but we dropped from 9th to 11th. Would get behind him with a change of his management style and coaching philosophy but don’t see that at present.
We'll all have differing opinions on the merits of the man but I find it odd that you think the statement is "very inappropriate and misjudged". Why is that? For me DY is refreshingly honest and open with the press. Makes a change from the cliche ridden non commital stuff we get from other sports managers.

Rob Smith (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:27
Quote:
Shugs
Quote:
Rob Smith
We'll all have differing opinions on the merits of the man but I find it odd that you think the statement is "very inappropriate and misjudged". Why is that? For me DY is refreshingly honest and open with the press. Makes a change from the cliche ridden non commital stuff we get from other sports managers.

It’s not about him. What’s the positive statement for the club, when the bloke leading it says he’s finding it hard. Hardly inspires confidence. To date I’ve heard positive words, inspiring leadership, from Nizaam Carr before the Saints game and Joe Simpson just before he announced he was leaving and that’s about it.

@robsmithrugby

Vespulavulgaris (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:33
From a marketing perspective the communications you put out for general consumption serve a very different purpose from the ones designed for internal consumption.

I'd say this is a very well thought out approach that not only works to silence a lot of the more vocal critics, but also serves to take the focus off the players who have, any way you look at it, been underperforming individually.

RossM (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:40
Quote:
Rob Smith
Quote:
Shugs
Quote:
Rob Smith

It’s not about him. What’s the positive statement for the club, when the bloke leading it says he’s finding it hard. Hardly inspires confidence. To date I’ve heard positive words, inspiring leadership, from Nizaam Carr before the Saints game and Joe Simpson just before he announced he was leaving and that’s about it.

Very sour. It was an interview and Dai was answering questions put to him by Bobby Bridge who then edited and wrote the piece. Perhaps you should have had a moan at Bobby for not doing his job to your satisfaction.

ballsout (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:53
Bobby was probably too busy posting selfies of himself to do his job properly.

As for Dai, man is a gent and deserves more support than he's getting.

Rob Smith (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 12:12
This sort of stuff is for his book when his moved on. Everyone understands or has a fair idea of the issues. Just cannot see how this statement can help in any way in lifting the confidence of the squad for the reminder of this season. Journalists can ask away, the answers should always be in the interests of the Club, short term and long term. I couldn’t care less if someone finding it hard, their getting paid to do a job, deal with it. We know the problems it’s solutions we want.

@robsmithrugby

Shugs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 12:22
What should he have said then? We've been winning consistently and we have no problems? The players know full well the position they are in. They know who has come and gone. To be frank if DY had just ignored all that I'd find it a bit insulting.

Westy68 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 12:38
It’s a fair point Rob is making, Dai now has a big task ahead of him and I would personally preferred to hear from Dai how he was going to sort it not that he is in a bad place at the moment

DaleDoback (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 12:55
To me the article came across as a plea for sympathy and an attempt at self-preservation. I’d much rather hear how he’s going to change things than moan about how hard his job is.

wombles222 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:35
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, however i would postulate with a ratger large degree of certainty that yours is incorrect Rob Smith.

I will quanitfy this based upon a dual stance;

1: too many welll known inidividuals have written posthumously in their autobiographies in critiscm of individuals/clubs/management/approaches that they disagreed with at the time yet chose not to verbalise when something constructive could of come from it. Everytime this approach has been utilised it is seen in its correct context, that of sour grapes. Critiscm can be a positive, it is constructive rather than destructive, and can also sort the wheat fromm the chaff as those that cannot manage critiscm as not those that you want when the going gets tough. Society is built upon winning and losing, if you readily accept the plaudits then you should also as readily accept the critics.

2: If you believe an honest insight to be poor judgement then you are simply looking for a world if soundbites, positivity and little insight, as to ignore certain elements that are negative is to detract from the whole, and if you only want people like Dai talking bit part you are providing cesnorship to those that care about the team (the fans) and are looking for insight into aomething they themselves find important. If you need an example of such simply look at the replies on this thread as his comments are gladly received as we are given access to Dai on a more personal level. He is accepting responsibility and shows heart and vulnerability coupled with a determination to right the boat. If all the players and coaches feel this way to then we will turn this around.

This is a well timed and well thought out piece, to think otherwise is to miss the true value of such statements.

ballsout (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:44
He talks about how he hopes to get Wasps out of this mess and start winning matches ... multiple times a week.

He opened up once.

And people still criticise.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net