rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Is Dai the right man to lead the club?
Vespulavulgaris (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 10:47
My latest thoughts.

[onceawasp.com]

Another Wasps Discussion Forum - [onceawasp.com]

Re: Is Dai the right man to lead the club?
Matt82 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:16
In a nutshell yes he is. He's been let down by some players who haven't shown the same commitment and loyalty that he has.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2019 11:17 by Matt82.

steve from cov (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:19
No question.

Shugs (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:21
Great article. Agree with it 100 per cent. I've been genuinely amazed at some calling for him to go. For me his achievements have been immense and have been done against a succession of unique and challenging backdrops. We're lucky to have him and I, like you, wouldn't swap him for anyone else out there.

neils (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:31
Without doubt BUT I would like him to have some meaningful coaching support. Watching Sarries last night they have bus load.

And no this is not an opening for "BullShit 12" to enter into the discussion.

WONKYWASP1 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:39
Shugs ... thumbs down

samlee99 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:43
I have little time for the Coventry Franchise but Dai Young is a class act.

RossM (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:46
Without a doubt. The 'Young Out' thread is obscene and a disgrace.

Nopace (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 12:10
Quote:
neils
Without doubt BUT I would like him to have some meaningful coaching support. Watching Sarries last night they have bus load.
And no this is not an opening for "BullShit 12" to enter into the discussion.

Yes, I watched it too, it was almost as if MM didnít even need to be there. Their bench was quite something. And agree.

DaleDoback (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 12:47
Quote:
Matt82
In a nutshell yes he is. He's been let down by some players who haven't shown the same commitment and loyalty that he has.

The thing with loyalty is that it works both ways. Recently I spoke to an ex wasp (wonít name him) and he said the one thing he learnt through his career, was that rugby is a ruthless business. That your body is a commodity and that the club will get rid of you the second the commodity isnít worth as much to them. He said that he would tell any young academy player coming through, that the main thing they should worry about is looking after their own best interests, because no one else (especially not the clubs) will.

Obviously this is mainly conjecture, but if you look at wasps currently, why would any of the players be massively motivated by loyalty to the club. The players showed commitment and bought into the move to cov, mainly because of the commitment the club was making to turn wasps into a state of the art, well oiled machine. What has followed has been 3 years of broken promises about the training ground, letters highlighting problems with the club signed by the players and sent to Dereck Richardson, and the treatment of club stalwarts who should of gone to finish their careers at the club. There is no way a club like Exeter (who is famed for its positive culture) would treat someone like Haskell the way wasps did. If he was at Exeter, because of what he means to the club and what he has done for the club, they wouldnít just cast him aside.

For the academy lads, why would you be incentivised to commit to the club, when it is fairly clear that the only real way that you are going to make it at the club is through injury. The club donít show those lads the commitment to playing them and exposing them to premiership rugby, so why should the club expect the same commitment in return. I am not sitting here saying that every senior academy player should be featuring in the 23 (obviously some will not make the grade). However if you donít drip feed the ones who you think could go all the way, then instead of developing young players who love the club and want to be there, you have a bunch of lads who probably harbour some resentment towards it.

I imagine that as a player, red flags like these would be massively worrying for their perception of the direction of the club. There is obviously a lot going on behind the scenes at the club and if supporters knew everything that went on Iím sure there would be cases to be positive and just as many, if not more cases to be worried. However, In my mind, itís naiive to think that serious things arenít wrong at the club. To also suggest dai is without fault in this would be a disservice. I donít envy the job of a DOR, the blame usually always lands at their door, even when a lot is probably out of their control. Though to suggest that the fault lies in the players lack of commitment and loyalty, doesnít do the issues justice.

Loyalty from the players isnít a inalienable right of the club, loyalty is earned and what is for certain, is that once the trust is broken, it is extremely hard to get back.

Matt82 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 16:11
Quote:
DaleDoback
Quote:
Matt82

The thing with loyalty is that it works both ways. Recently I spoke to an ex wasp (wonít name him) and he said the one thing he learnt through his career, was that rugby is a ruthless business. That your body is a commodity and that the club will get rid of you the second the commodity isnít worth as much to them. He said that he would tell any young academy player coming through, that the main thing they should worry about is looking after their own best interests, because no one else (especially not the clubs) will.

Obviously this is mainly conjecture, but if you look at wasps currently, why would any of the players be massively motivated by loyalty to the club. The players showed commitment and bought into the move to cov, mainly because of the commitment the club was making to turn wasps into a state of the art, well oiled machine. What has followed has been 3 years of broken promises about the training ground, letters highlighting problems with the club signed by the players and sent to Dereck Richardson, and the treatment of club stalwarts who should of gone to finish their careers at the club. There is no way a club like Exeter (who is famed for its positive culture) would treat someone like Haskell the way wasps did. If he was at Exeter, because of what he means to the club and what he has done for the club, they wouldnít just cast him aside.

For the academy lads, why would you be incentivised to commit to the club, when it is fairly clear that the only real way that you are going to make it at the club is through injury. The club donít show those lads the commitment to playing them and exposing them to premiership rugby, so why should the club expect the same commitment in return. I am not sitting here saying that every senior academy player should be featuring in the 23 (obviously some will not make the grade). However if you donít drip feed the ones who you think could go all the way, then instead of developing young players who love the club and want to be there, you have a bunch of lads who probably harbour some resentment towards it.

I imagine that as a player, red flags like these would be massively worrying for their perception of the direction of the club. There is obviously a lot going on behind the scenes at the club and if supporters knew everything that went on Iím sure there would be cases to be positive and just as many, if not more cases to be worried. However, In my mind, itís naiive to think that serious things arenít wrong at the club. To also suggest dai is without fault in this would be a disservice. I donít envy the job of a DOR, the blame usually always lands at their door, even when a lot is probably out of their control. Though to suggest that the fault lies in the players lack of commitment and loyalty, doesnít do the issues justice.

Loyalty from the players isnít a inalienable right of the club, loyalty is earned and what is for certain, is that once the trust is broken, it is extremely hard to get back.

Are you serious about Haskell? Part of the destabilising of the club currently is due to the Archbishop and his big mouth slagging off the training facilities whilst he was still at the club. Why would the club back a player when he's openly criticising the club whilst still an employee. Could you do that in your line of work? I know I couldn't and certainly wouldn't as it's completely disrespectful. And you're right players have to earn the right of loyalty. Are you telling me Haskells performances in the last 2 years was deserving of him being given a new contract? IMO no they weren't. Dai has been badly let down by Daly and Wade. 2 players you'd build your team around upping sticks whilst contracted to the club. This bollocks about the training ground is just that. Utter bollocks. I was at Broadstreet today and I don't see where the issues are with it being a training facility for a club. Yes the canteen could be more inviting than a pub bar but actual training facilities there are no issues.

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 16:26
Quote:
samlee99
I have little time for the Coventry Franchise but Dai Young is a class act.

Thanks for your wonderful insight as ever Sam. And the compliments about Dai which I share.

However, this has been done to death and I think youíre confusing franchise with moving premises to ensure the survival of your business. Get real mate.

DaleDoback (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 16:40
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
DaleDoback
Quote:
Matt82

Are you serious about Haskell? Part of the destabilising of the club currently is due to the Archbishop and his big mouth slagging off the training facilities whilst he was still at the club. Why would the club back a player when he's openly criticising the club whilst still an employee. Could you do that in your line of work? I know I couldn't and certainly wouldn't as it's completely disrespectful. And you're right players have to earn the right of loyalty. Are you telling me Haskells performances in the last 2 years was deserving of him being given a new contract? IMO no they weren't. Dai has been badly let down by Daly and Wade. 2 players you'd build your team around upping sticks whilst contracted to the club. This bollocks about the training ground is just that. Utter bollocks. I was at Broadstreet today and I don't see where the issues are with it being a training facility for a club. Yes the canteen could be more inviting than a pub bar but actual training facilities there are no issues.

Yep completely serious. The more pressing question is why was he so vocal about the training ground and the problems about the club. You say, because he has a big mouth and Iíll take a guess, because he just wants publicity to sell his brand. I say, because he was vocalising what most of the squad think about the training ground, but are not the outspoken character that Haskell is. Do you not think that one of the reasons he ended up being so vocal about it, is because he and the players were, over a number of years, promised state of the art facilities to have none of that materialise. He probably voiced his concerns in house long before any of us would of heard it on social media. I have also been to broadstreet and honestly in my point of view, itís embarrassing as a professional facility. Iíd put good money one of the reasons our injury rate is so high, is that the players are training day in day out on a sub standard surface. I genuinely would rather not walk a dog on those pitches. Yes the training ground in a vacuum isnít a reason on its own to leave the club, but in the context of broken promises it could be enough to start to resent the management. On Haskellís performances for his last 2 years at the club, yes he probably did decline, but for the club to offer him nothing, not even a significant wage cut, in my opinion is a massive detriment to the club. Daly and wade donít owe wasps or dai anything.

Matt82 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 17:05
Quote:
DaleDoback
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
DaleDoback
Quote:
Matt82

Yep completely serious. The more pressing question is why was he so vocal about the training ground and the problems about the club. You say, because he has a big mouth and Iíll take a guess, because he just wants publicity to sell his brand. I say, because he was vocalising what most of the squad think about the training ground, but are not the outspoken character that Haskell is. Do you not think that one of the reasons he ended up being so vocal about it, is because he and the players were, over a number of years, promised state of the art facilities to have none of that materialise. He probably voiced his concerns in house long before any of us would of heard it on social media. I have also been to broadstreet and honestly in my point of view, itís embarrassing as a professional facility. Iíd put good money one of the reasons our injury rate is so high, is that the players are training day in day out on a sub standard surface. I genuinely would rather not walk a dog on those pitches. Yes the training ground in a vacuum isnít a reason on its own to leave the club, but in the context of broken promises it could be enough to start to resent the management. On Haskellís performances for his last 2 years at the club, yes he probably did decline, but for the club to offer him nothing, not even a significant wage cut, in my opinion is a massive detriment to the club. Daly and wade donít owe wasps or dai anything.

Well the u18s seemed to enjoy scoring 60 odd points on it. State of the art? I mean what does that actually mean? Johnny Wilkinson didn't become England's greatest 10 because of 'state of the art' facilities. He became a great player and England won a WC through sheer hard work not what facilities they trained in! Daly owes Dai nothing? Hmmm I'm sure Dai had a part to play in where Daly is now.

Buzzboy (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 17:10
We seemed to do OK at Acton. Hardly state of the art!

DaleDoback (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 17:29
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
DaleDoback
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
DaleDoback
Quote:
Matt82

Well the u18s seemed to enjoy scoring 60 odd points on it. State of the art? I mean what does that actually mean? Johnny Wilkinson didn't become England's greatest 10 because of 'state of the art' facilities. He became a great player and England won a WC through sheer hard work not what facilities they trained in! Daly owes Dai nothing? Hmmm I'm sure Dai had a part to play in where Daly is now.

Being a 17/18 year old and playing 4 or 5 non professional games a year on a surface is completely different to being a professional athlete training 2 times a day 4 days a week on the same surface. Iím sure with a bit of initiative you could find out what the phrase ďstate of the artĒ means. For a club who wants to be a dominant force in domestic and European rugby in a fully professional sport, having facilities to match your ambition is fairly important IMO. Pennyhill park has always been a good facility, im sure Johnny would of become a good player whatever facility he trained in, but at the professional level, itís a small percentage game. If training in better facilities with better training methods increases player output by half a percent, then that is 100% worth it. Just like Iím sure that Jonny would of been a good player whatever facility he was in, so to do I believe that Daly would be the player he is or potentially better with someone else as his DOR. Iím sure a lot of people had a part to play in Dalyís career, but that doesnít mean he can be held to ransom if he feels like the club is going in the wrong direction. In your view, like Haskell, with one more year of slightly below par performance for Daly, the club and dai would be right in not offering him a contract. So he should look after himself first and foremost.

DaleDoback (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 17:35
Quote:
Buzzboy
Slightly missing the point. Good teams will be good whatever facilities they are in, but a good team with good facilities and training methods is more often than not going to be better than a good team in a shed.

Matt82 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 17:51
Quote:
DaleDoback
Quote:
Buzzboy
Slightly missing the point. Good teams will be good whatever facilities they are in, but a good team with good facilities and training methods is more often than not going to be better than a good team in a shed.

Grass is grass. Rather than @#$%& and moan players need to get on with it. How's Daly going to take to Allianz Park? Hardly 'state of the art' playing on plastic is it? Two stands. Really state of the art. Let's hope Sarries plans to get the stadium sorted or Daly will be off to Quins next. And the facilities can't be too poor at Broadstreet with so many players re-signing.

Vespulavulgaris (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 17:55
I agree wholeheartedly that loyalty goes both ways.

How is it that you know beyond doubt that the players were let down by the club in some way that hasn't been made public?

DaleDoback (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 18:06
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
DaleDoback
Quote:
Buzzboy

Grass is grass. Rather than @#$%& and moan players need to get on with it. How's Daly going to take to Allianz Park? Hardly 'state of the art' playing on plastic is it? Two stands. Really state of the art. Let's hope Sarries plans to get the stadium sorted or Daly will be off to Quins next. And the facilities can't be too poor at Broadstreet with so many players re-signing.

Saying grass is grass is the same as saying that Elliot Daly and I are pretty much the same because weíre made of the same stuff. Your short sightedness is pretty funny. @#$%& and moan smh, they have cause to moan, itís a shambles if you compare it to what they were promised. OAíS and saracens facilities are considerably better than broadstreets. Also have you ever looked at the pitch at the Ricoh, thereís no grass on it whatsoever. Iím not saying itís the main reason heís leaving, the fact that it isnít, is actually more worrying than if it was. Yeah loads of our big name players and young academy graduates have re-signed to be fair to you lol. Youíve really made a compelling argument there, I mean itís not like we have had consistently the highest player turnover in the prem the last few years.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net