rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

EJ - Canít trust ...
PhilH (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 18:39
...... him to be consistent! Comments?

Re: EJ - Canít trust ...
neils (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 18:43
Who - EJ or someone else?

PhilH (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 18:45
Not expecting Eddie to respond!

John Tee (IP Logged)
10 February, 2019 19:16
Well I'm no fan but that is two very impressive performances...We've tonked two top sides or rather, two competitors in the rwc. France were outplayed and second best just like Ireland were, and the French didn't do much wrong...but we made them look inept.
Two things are the difference,... The coaches seem to have got the message across and Young's kicking is very good atm...which takes his passing out of the equation.

Dazthelion (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 08:45
Iím no EJ fan but those are two very accomplished performances in a row. Whether itís down to his
Master plan, Wisemantelís attack bedding in or Mitchellís Defensive work giving them the intensity they previously lacked one thing seems clear - they actually have a plan and some firm direction. Given the tactics being employed of line speed combined with quality kick chase game to pressure the return I canít help thinking Farrell has a lot to do with this. Iím not usually a big fan of his, but he is first rate at executing a pre-determined strategy and he appears to have brought the Sarries strategy to the Eng team with additional skilled kickers like Daly and Slade stress testing teamís defensive organisation.

Ireland we defensively strong but a little devoid of ideas, in par because of how we defended. France were shell shocked from the early May try and never fully recovered. They were eratic and their 14 was clearly identified as a weakness before the game.

Have not been this enthused about England for some time, however before getting too carried away, neither game was probably against the quality of opposition we will likely face from any of the Big 3 SH teams in the RWC, and possibly even Ireland next time round. I still worry that when the formula isnít working weíll struggle to adapt. The problem with a clear consistent gameplan is that teams can study it and exploit it, although to be fair the Sarries plan when executed well has always been damn difficult to stop, especially where they have fwd dominance too.

I fear for Dan Robson as he doesnít fit the plan. Ben Youngs (another plater iíve been v critical of in the past) has been outstanding these past two games. I suspect for the RWC we may see Wigglesworth brought back as the alternate staring 9, with one place left for a more livewire SH to bench each time - meaning a straight shoot out for the 3rd spot. Or perhaps Spencer usurps all of them to be no.2 SH given his familiarity with the game plan.

Was there with my boy yesterday and delighted to see him so excited about how weíre now playing, but I just hope the press show restraint and EJ and the players show some humility because weíve seen before how quickly the wheels can come off.

Heathen (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 09:04
People questioned the appointment of Mitch, but he has been a big a contributor to the way that England are now playing, as anyone in the coaching group.

Andy1210 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 09:07
Big lesson for Dai in this. When things aren't working like they were and you end up in a dark place and in a playing rut - change the coaching team and bring in fresh ideas and motivation.

Shugs (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 18:00
I think he is remarkably consistent. It's taken a lot for some to break into that team and he'll stick to the personnel he has selected before by and large. I don't know what has driven the huge improvements but they have been delivered by a stable group of players selection wise. Farrell at 10 is a big plus as it enables centres that are centres to play. The other factor for me is a more settled 6,7,8 with no-one out of position. The biggest difference however appears to be attitude and who knows how that has been achieved.

John Tee (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 21:18
I think Wilson and Curry at 6 and 7 make more of a difference than BV at 8. Those two add the balance and I think that makes BV now less critical than last year.
Along with lawes, they are the real star turns Imv in these two games.
Wilson is undroppable atm.

Beasties (IP Logged)
12 February, 2019 08:19
One not insignificant factor is that the players haven't been beasted like they were in last year's 6Ns. That and top players back in the mix are making a big difference. Finally having a balanced backrow is also making a difference. Curry has matured bigtime in the last few months, it's a convergence of good things all at once. As an aside, I'm chuffed to bits for Mark Wilson, I've been a big admirer of his for years. He offers more than Robshaw IMO these days. Robshaw has been a fantastic servant but I'd have him as reserve from hereon in.

I thought EJ had lost the plot with Mitchell's appointment but it can't be a coincidence that our defence has improved can it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net