rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Laws question: Ireland v France
Trev's Big Tackle (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 15:26
The Healy knock on / almost try. Why was it not a penalty to France for Healy coming in from the side of the ruck?

Re: Laws question: Ireland v France
RossM (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 15:41
I'm not sure if it actually occurred to the officials. They seemed to concentrate on whether it was a knock on rather than a try. And yes, Healey did appear to me to come in from the side.

RossM (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 15:44
Healey seems to be immune to charges of coming in at the side smiling smiley

Atomic Wasp (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 16:01
I thought exactly the same.

Cheers

Rick

@W2APS on twitter, the chap with the banners and flags.

10 March, 2019 16:07
France had been rolling the ball back and they've not always controlled the ball in the rucks well but the ball was definitely still in the ruck. I was wondering if the offside rules change of the ball passes the try line? But that seems mad. Did ref just miss it?

Snewbs (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 16:13
I think, but may well be wrong, that the offside line stops at the try line. As the ball was over the line he was able to come in from the side and there be no problems. I’m sure that someone far more learned than me will be able to give some actual laws wording

DuncanS (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 17:02
The ball is fair game if it crosses the tryline. For example, if a defensive scrum is shoved backwards and then all crosses the tryline, any attacker can simply reach in between the forwards’ legs and apply downward pressure for a score. Believe the same laws apply to mails and rucks.

bg (IP Logged)
10 March, 2019 17:41
In the dim and distant past when i played scrum half, our pack pushed the defending pack with the ball at their 8's feet back over the try line and despite the ball still being in the scrum I dived in to touch it before their 8 or 9 could touch it down

Petergwilson (IP Logged)
11 March, 2019 13:57
Once the ball crosses the try line there is NO offside line. Healey was well within his rights to have a go from anywhere. However they keep on about downward pressure but never define how many psi are required. Surely ground, ball, finder all being in contact counts (At least it does to JP Doyle). From what I could see the ball was already on the line when Healey touched it so therefore a try should have been given. Of course I stand to be corrected.

[laws.worldrugby.org]

From what I can find the term 'grounding' isn't defined as anything other than grass / ball/ hand or upper body all touching at the same time.

Atomic Wasp (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 08:12
I found the relevant link:
[laws.worldrugby.org]

The important bit in this situation is "press down". He pressed/pushed forward thus the knock on. He just needed slightly longer arms a little bit higher off the pitch and he'd have been OK. smiling smiley

Without press down we get issues with the defending side not being able to touch the ball to pick it up when in their own in goal area without technically grounding it.

Cheers

Rick

@W2APS on twitter, the chap with the banners and flags.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2019 08:14 by Atomic Wasp.

15 March, 2019 09:10
Nice one. Thanks, Atomic Wasp.

DGPWasp (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 10:12
Ford's try at Welford Rd a couple of weeks ago comes to mind. Similar grounding to this one as I saw it. Fingertips only.

Petergwilson (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 10:13
Yes but "Pressing down". How much pressure is pressing down. Surely any touch no matter how light is still pressing down.

bg (IP Logged)
15 March, 2019 10:52
Quote:
Petergwilson
Yes but "Pressing down". How much pressure is pressing down. Surely any touch no matter how light is still pressing down.

I believe its "downward pressure" only so it can be minimal.. as in Joe Ford's try against us, where it was effectively his finger tips only applying downward pressure

Why not try the 'other' Wasps forum?
[onceawasp.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net