rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sean stays with Wales
backdoc (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:25
From the Times today:

"Shaun Edwards is set to finalise a deal which will see him remain as Wales defence coach when Warren Gatland departs after the World Cup.

The Sunday Times has learnt that the 52-year-old has rejected an offer to become head coach at Wigan Warriors, as well as the option to become assistant coach at Wasps, and will instead extend his 11-year association with Wales when Wayne Pivac takes over in November.

Edwards, who last August held a series of press conferences stating he would be returning to rugby league as coach of his former club Wigan, after he was frustrated Pivac did not offer him a deal upon being named Gatlandís successor, is understood to have agreed terms to stay on after the World Cup.

Talks are now in their ďfinal stagesĒ but Edwards has agreed in principle to carry on after the World Cup."

Re: Sean stays with Wales
buzz999 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:37
Sigh.

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:42
was too good be true (to sound of sad music), can't take my eyes offa you...Ö.

wombles222 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:43
Certainly can understand why Wales want to keep him, he is absolute quality! Pivac already dismissed his first coaching appointment as he had already signed a defensive coach is hardly the strongest of starts for the new Wales DoR though, although equally a sensible choice.

Shugs (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 08:44
I'm sure this will be a minority viewpoint but if this turns out to be true I won't be unhappy. I don't dispute we need to improve defensively (this isn't a new issue) but I was a bit wary of Edwards returning. Returning to a club rarely works and things would have looked hugely different for him from what he previously experienced which could have been a problem. For me, gut feel, it just didn't feel right.

Matt82 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 09:07
My worry Shugs is that he seems to be our only target and we've put all our eggs in one basket. I find it strange he perhaps doesn't want a new challenge with Garland leaving. We shall see though as papers had him signed to us not long ago.

Shugs (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 09:25
Quote:
Matt82
My worry Shugs is that he seems to be our only target and we've put all our eggs in one basket. I find it strange he perhaps doesn't want a new challenge with Garland leaving. We shall see though as papers had him signed to us not long ago.
Indeed. At the moment it's still just paper talk. I'm sure we have other targets - it's probably just that Edwards was the only one we knew about.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 09:44
If he was to come to us I expect it would be as DOR....

neils (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 10:04
Quote:
Matt82

Doubt he is/was our only target. He is the only one the club have directly been asked about and in reality have batted any suggestion sideways. Not an unexpected outcome. We will now wait to see who is coming in.

Vespulavulgaris (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 10:17
Quote:
Matt82

Why on earth would you think that? He's the only one weve been openly linked with, that's far from the same thing.

Matt82 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 11:03
Quote:
Vespulavulgaris
Quote:
Matt82

Why on earth would you think that? He's the only one weve been openly linked with, that's far from the same thing.

Why? Because Dai has talked for 2/3 years of strengthening the coaching set up and it being too small and bar the Wilson fiasco we've been unable to add anybody whose made us better.

Bracken&Macken (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 11:08
Didnít Dai say that around now we would be making a coaching announcement?

Given the fact that Shaun now seems to staying with Wales I donít think itís a stretch to assume we havenít got anyone else close to signing.

This amateur hour coaching search epitomises the way this club has been run in the past 18 months. No planning, no urgency and no vision.

Matt82 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 11:29
Completely agree B&M. In the 2 years Cips was back with us we should have won something. We had the talent on the pitch to do so but we continually relied upon individual brilliance and we had bundles of it particularly in the Beale season. What we didn't have was the coaching staff to execute it. Our defence has been awful and our Achilles heel for seasons now and how do we remedy it? Getting a coach from the championship whose own team we're glad to see the back of. Blackett is another one whose lived off the reputation of how good his players were. This season he's been found out.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 14:15
I think this season the players are not quite as good as those previous years, to be fair to the coaches.
Forgetting injury....
Beale and WLR were in the same team with Wade as back 3, briefly.
Bassett and Watson can't match that. Daly is not the same player, whilst Robson is arguably better he has been absent.

Ciprani I would have over anyone with ball in hand. Maybe the forwards are better now, but it is marginal. The backs are clearly weaker overall, sadly.

WONKYWASP1 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 14:16
sad smiley Alas.

John Tee (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 14:59
I think the true value of Cips is more likely to be seen because Glaws are giving him room to coach and lead.
You need the players and coaching team to buy into that and the head man needs to be brave.

Other coaches won't and aren't and that really looks an opportunity lost.

Saints have turned around their season with a good coach.
I suspect Bath would be another team that needs to make a decision.

I think Edwards would want head coach at league level..?

HenryBukowski (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 15:12
Jesus I mean he was offered assistant coach. That's just never going to fly given where he is in his career, the only option would have accomodating him as a head coach with Dai Dor. Totally get why he wouldn't go for this. Shame.

Skippy (IP Logged)
14 April, 2019 23:59
Looked like that heís been doing some moon lighting the way we played in the last five minutes. Successive Exeter attacking waves went from our 5 metre line to their 10m line!

Itís also worth noting that Quins have conceded just two fewer points than we have, but it doesnít seem like thereís been as much moaning about their defence. And no one this season has laid out the welcome mat like Leicester, and they also have the worst points difference to boot. Perhaps our complaints about our defence are over done and our expectations have become unrealistic ó held up against a better yesterday that wasnít actually as perfect as we like (choose) to remember.

Laterontoday (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 08:50
Quote:
HenryBukowski
Jesus I mean he was offered assistant coach. That's just never going to fly given where he is in his career, the only option would have accomodating him as a head coach with Dai Dor. Totally get why he wouldn't go for this. Shame.

Id cut the club a bit of slack Iím certain they wouldnít be so naÔve/time wasting to offer him an assistant coach position. I wouldnít believe/trust everything or anything you read in a newspaper report. It might be The Times but I donít think they would care if they got the title a bit mischievously wrong?

bald.paul.101 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 10:52
No one knows who wasps have or haven't been speaking to.

Tigers picked up Phil Blake & people on here were moaning that Wasps missed out, hasn't done them much good has it?

I have never quite understood the desire for Wasps to hire basically anyone who is available? Why if they are not going to add anything?

Re Edwards, sounds suspiciously to me like his agent getting him a better deal by touting stories around about who he's talking to.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net