rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Gaby Lovobalavu
Stourbridge Wasp (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 18:10
Watching the whole game back again and a real unsung hero was Gaby. Brave, strong and is showing a bit more flair as his run of matches continues.

I think a fit Gopperth is the first choice 12 but with a lack of centres already at Wasps and Daly leaving - he has got to be worth another year?

Re: Gaby Lovobalavu
Marlovian (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 18:37
Absolutely! I thought he was excellent yesterday.

I can't recall but did he go the full 80?

Atomic Wasp (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 19:05
I think so. There was a particularly special no look pass he made that fooled everyone, especially the camera man.

Cheers

Rick

@W2APS on twitter, the chap with the banners and flags.

washy (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 19:15
I watched the game again today too (figured I would make the most of a poor season and reflect on the highs a bit more) and noticed how many little offloads and soft hands passes from Brad shields, thought he had a great game on the first watch but second watch I think he should have had a mention for mom as well as Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2019 19:16 by washy.

15 April, 2019 19:39
I think Shields could become a bit like Launchbury. Not as flashy as his national colleagues and be perennially overlooked for players who perhaps more aesthetically pleasing (in the mediaís eye) yet when you watch them week in week out you realise how much of the dirty work they not only do but excel at. Launchbury and Shields have the capability to win massive moments and both gave absolutely everything yesterday. I think you can perhaps put Ashley into that category as well

Speedy-New (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 20:03
I do wonder about how much we as fans don't see / understand about the systems we (Wasps) try to use.

The reason I put this out there is that for a number of years now 'new' players to the club don't seem to hit the ground running (bar the odd exception - George Smith!!) but take most of the first season to find their feet.
However once they have they become the player we all thought we had signed. WLR being a case in point.

It does also look like the same is happening with Watson, Shields, and Lima

Would love Gaby to stay for new season even if he ends up being only sparingly used.

Now.....does ZZ have any mates?

Vespulavulgaris (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 20:06
Quote:
Speedy-New
bar the odd exception - George Smith!!

It even took him a while to get to grips with the way the game was reffed. He was massively penalised for the first couple of months.We didn;t care because of all the turnovers we scored from, but he cost us a lot of 3 pointers along the way.

kentwasp1 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 20:06
Gaby is a lovey man with a smile all the time. And a top player. Met him last year after the away game to Tigers with his family - just lovely

backdoc (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 20:20
I agree about Gaby. The chop tackle was the main defensive tactic that played with Exeter's head during the game. No one on their feet to receive the ball.

15 April, 2019 20:26
As well as noticing Gaby, watching the game back you also notice the number of tackles Lima makes. Not dominant hits but getting in the way and putting his body on the line. I think that was heartening to see - it hasnít clicked for him this season but that level of commitment especially as he seemed to be carrying various knocks - makes me think heís got something about him and I really hope he comes good next year for him and us

Worcswasp (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 22:16
He did have a great game but the nagging doubt to offer him a new contract will be his long standing knee injury.

Marlovian (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 22:28
Yes I agree and is why I wondered if he went the 80.

Matt82 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 23:15
Best game for us yesterday. Was immense. However, given his age and injury record I'd rather his salary be used elsewhere. We've got Neal, Booj and youngsters Spink and Anderson coming through to compete with Jimmy, JdJ and Fekitoa in the centres.

PhilH (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 23:45
Quote:
Matt82
Best game for us yesterday. Was immense. However, given his age and injury record I'd rather his salary be used elsewhere. We've got Neal, Booj and youngsters Spink and Anderson coming through to compete with Jimmy, JdJ and Fekitoa in the centres.

Age? Two years or so younger than Jimmy G!

Matt82 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2019 23:57
Quote:
PhilH
Quote:
Matt82

Age? Two years or so younger than Jimmy G!

Yes but he's nowhere in the same league as Jimmy and I'd rather we used the budget elsewhere and give opportunities to the names I listed,

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
16 April, 2019 01:15
I want to see more than one game, to be honest.
He has improved with a run of games, but, and it is a big "but", Watson in the same time has come on leaps and bounds, not Wade but certainly Bassett or more, whereas Gaby has simply improved to near the level we would hope from a team challenging Top 4/5/6, rather than exceeding it.
He has improved, but any new contract would depend on terms. I can't see him as a regular starter of a title wining team.

bg (IP Logged)
17 April, 2019 09:55
He hasn't announced that he has signed for another club (as we head towards May) so I expect he's hoping to sign an extension to his current contract.

It probably just comes down to what Dai thinks his value is and What Gaby hopes his value is. He's certainly put in a big shift this season so I hope that is rewarded and he gets another 1 or 2 yr deal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net