Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Left Behind...
Discussion started by will311293 , 14 May, 2019 13:53
Left Behind...
will311293 14 May, 2019 13:53
Is anyone else slightly worried that signing wise we are being left behind?

I keep looking at the teams around us... Sale, Harlequins, Northampton, Gloucester, Leicester, Bath & Bristol and even Irish and there is an impending worry about the squad depth/strength..

Sale - De Jaeger, Du Preez twins, Robert Du Preez, JCW, Akker VM, Oosthuzien
Harlequins - Garcia Botta, Evans, Kerrod, Lewies, Baldwin, Lawday, Campagnagro, Glenn Young, Landajo.

Northampton - strong young squad plus Procter & Franks
Glaws - Simpson and stronger squad
Leicester - Reid, Taufua, Taute, Callum Green, Lavinvini
Irish - Jackson, Coleman, Phipps, Rona, Kepu, Dell, O'Brien, Naholo
Bristol - Hughes, Attwood
Bath - McNally, Stuart, Williams, Judge & Boyce.

I worry that we are linked with championship players and other teams are signing proven quality whether Premiership or Foreign. Fekitoa, Velacott & JTA are great signings and Minozzi will be if knee holds up but im still worried.

Sorry if a little rambling but surely i can't be the only one??

This is what Sales signings are doing to me (Sm105)
Where's are the Hughes, Le Roux, Daly money going?

Re: Left Behind...
Hymenoptera 14 May, 2019 14:54
No

ukms 14 May, 2019 15:00
Quote:
will311293
Is anyone else slightly worried that signing wise we are being left behind?

I keep looking at the teams around us... Sale, Harlequins, Northampton, Gloucester, Leicester, Bath & Bristol and even Irish and there is an impending worry about the squad depth/strength..

Sale - De Jaeger, Du Preez twins, Robert Du Preez, JCW, Akker VM, Oosthuzien
Harlequins - Garcia Botta, Evans, Kerrod, Lewies, Baldwin, Lawday, Campagnagro, Glenn Young, Landajo.

Northampton - strong young squad plus Procter & Franks
Glaws - Simpson and stronger squad
Leicester - Reid, Taufua, Taute, Callum Green, Lavinvini
Irish - Jackson, Coleman, Phipps, Rona, Kepu, Dell, O'Brien, Naholo
Bristol - Hughes, Attwood
Bath - McNally, Stuart, Williams, Judge & Boyce.

I worry that we are linked with championship players and other teams are signing proven quality whether Premiership or Foreign. Fekitoa, Velacott & JTA are great signings and Minozzi will be if knee holds up but im still worried.

Sorry if a little rambling but surely i can't be the only one??

This is what Sales signings are doing to me (Sm105)
Where's are the Hughes, Le Roux, Daly money going?

You haven’t listed our incomings and you haven’t listed the outgoing players of other clubs ..... all needs to be put into context..... but to answer your question .... No .... players are not our major issue .... coaching is ... IMHO

DrHankPym(superhero) 14 May, 2019 15:48
In answer to your question - no

Quote:
will311293

Also Championship players aren't necessarily bad players to have in your squad. Sarries just won Champions Cup thanks to a former Jersey player coming off the bench after 30 minutes, to match Leinster's front row.

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

will311293 14 May, 2019 15:56
[center][/center]

Hahaha don't even get me started on coaching ....

Worcswasp 14 May, 2019 17:33
Read other posts and the demand to promote Academy products. Here is our moment

Matt82 14 May, 2019 18:25
Quote:
Worcswasp
Read other posts and the demand to promote Academy products. Here is our moment

Agree. A fantastic opportunity for the academy players to now take their chance. If there was one position however I'd like us to strengthen is to go and get a top quality lock. It worries me how much the step down is when Joe isn't there as the leader. Gaskell picks up too many knocks to be relied on.

westwaleswasp 14 May, 2019 18:49
I think the odds of our academy players being able to completely fill the gaps in the squad are not good. Partially fill, sure. Obviously we have talent coming through, others see more, but I think that we are currently short of a top quality lock and another back three option (which may be the Lleyds signing).

So in a word, I partially disagree with all the resounding no responses above.

I suspect people are fed up with excessive doom, I am for sure, but am not going to go into blind optimism to counter it.
There were people not worried when Cips left and look what happened there.

To elaborate, we are short of another Launch quality lock. Not a Rowlands or Gaskell quality, not a Prem quality lock, but a Launch quality lock. An international quality. We need two of that standard given the demands on Launch and what happens when he does not play. I would like a big name experienced lock.

I think we are well stocked elsewhere in the pack. Not worried about Nathan's departure.

Sarries have at least four, we need at least two, if only to ease the burden on Launch. Strength in depth at lock seems to be the new strength in depth in the front row, we seem better stocked up front.

Otherwise the back three looks a bit light, Lleyds not actually being announced and knee injuries being tricky so MM may be a cross fingers signing, albiet one I really welcome. Gopperth at 36 too is a worry, maybe another wing/13 option would help.

I understand the clamour for youngsters, and can empathise having seen this years' slightly conservative selection. Unlike others I don't think the galactico model failed per se, we did bloody well and I think the not having the best ten in the premiership wrecked us this year, had Cips been there we would have won more games and had a smoother transition to a post galactico model. That is the problem, he was irreplaceable and we had to evolve on the fly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 18:51 by westwaleswasp.

Jack9909 14 May, 2019 19:51
Good chance I'm putting 2+2 together and getting 5 here but Giovanbattista Vendetti (Italy and Zebre wing) has just followed me on Instagram out of nowhere.

Could well be nothing but I follow a lot of the wasps players and noticed he is also following Marcus Watson and Masi.

Know he used to be a decent player but looks like he has struggled for form and game time over the past couple of seasons. Who knows...

Shugs 14 May, 2019 19:59
No, don't feel left behind at all. Firstly from our roll call of leavers Hughes, Le Roux, Daly and JCW haven't had a huge impact this year. Two, possibly three will be spending a fair chunk of any season away on international duty. I was actually more upset about the Stuart departure than any of the others. So I don't think we're losing much. On the plus side Gopperth and Willis will feel like new signings. We'll see more of T Willis, Umaga and possibly Cardall and Sirker. We then have five or six good additions. I'm especially excited about the Vellacott and Toomaga-Allan signings. We'll also have Shields and Sopoaga coming off their first seasons having got one under their belts. The way the squad is shaping up we'll only be losing Shields, Launchbury and possibly Young and Zhvania for internationals. So, I don't think we've been left behind, I think we have a lot to look forward to.

John Tee 14 May, 2019 20:02
Yep, certainly, but this topic has been covered in other threads.

jonnydeane 14 May, 2019 21:03
Quins recruitment seems to have got rid of a lot of dead wood and replaced them with players of a similar quality although these will obviously now be Gustard signings so should see an improvement.

Leicester as with the last few seasons do not concern me with their recruitment at all, they have lost a huge amount of players from their pack and will take a while to build a team especially with their coaching issues - some parallels here perhaps with us.

Bath have signed a load of players but have an untested coaching set up and hierarchy.

Glaws and Saints however I believe will continue to grow and top four will be very tough to crack next year

Matt82 14 May, 2019 21:31
Shugs - I think you've made a good point with players going on international duty. Having a quick start to the season off the back of the WC is going to be important. I think the crucial time will be during the 6 nations. We need to make that period count.

Jonny - I think the team doing the best recruitment is Sale. Getting the Du Perez trio is great recruitment. They're my surprise package for next season. They've recruited a lot of what I expect to be high earners so will be interesting to see if anybody leaves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 21:32 by Matt82.

jonnydeane 14 May, 2019 22:06
Yes Matt, forgot sale didn’t I. When the du Preez they had on the short term loan did extremely well by settling straight in and having some influential performances it shows SH imports don’t always need time to settle, I expect his brothers to be the same.
With Faf steering the ship and the power they have recruited as well as some of the class they have out wide they could do very well too.
Quins will continue to improve, Bristol will improve, Leicester cannot do any worse, Worcester will be about the same I think and Irish will be fighting for everything (depending on whether hey can get relegated or not)
It is up to us to find our place in that mix

wombles222 14 May, 2019 22:23
I honestly think we are well stocked for next season (although a further second row would not go amiss. The key is the coaching team and style of play.

bg 15 May, 2019 08:18
Quote:
DrHankPym(superhero)
In answer to your question - no
Quote:
will311293

Also Championship players aren't necessarily bad players to have in your squad. Sarries just won Champions Cup thanks to a former Jersey player coming off the bench after 30 minutes, to match Leinster's front row.

Didn't Sarries use a loan prop from Cornish Pirates for about 2 or 3 months as injury cover. He stepped in and didn't look out of place at all. I wonder if anyone has snapped him up.

Nomad_Wasp 15 May, 2019 09:15
Bath have, I think.

Sale are certainly setting the pace with their signings, but many of them will not arrive until after the world cup/are loan signings for the world cup. And de Klerk will be in Japan too.

neils 15 May, 2019 09:20
Bath yes.

Barnetsarrie12 15 May, 2019 10:08
I personally don't think Wasps not announcing many signings is a bad thing. I actually think it might be a good thing.

I think aside from Saracens, Gloucester and Exeter, I don't look at the wasps squad and think it is any worse than any other team including Sale.

A lot of wasps fans have called for more young players to be involved and that can't happen if you go the route of Sale and sign 8-10 foreign players.

A pack with Launch, Taylor, the Willis boys, Young, Shields, that's a very good pack. I hope Willis junior gets a lot of game time at 8 next year. You will also have another year of Sopoaga bedding in and Jimmy most likely won't miss the entire season. Fekitoa will be a good player also as he can play 12 or 13.

I think next season will be a lot like this season and any team outside of the top 3 can finish between 4th-9th/10th next year, but I won't be overly pessimistic about not signing players.

I think the bigger priority for Wasps is signing a Head coach, not players and Will, signing championship players is not necessarily a bad thing. Barrington for us came from Jersey and Duncan Taylor who is now an international came from Bedford. Just because you came from the championship does not mean you are not a good player, they are some gems in the championship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2019 10:43 by Barnetsarrie12.

Hangover 15 May, 2019 10:21
WLR has been great at times over the last couple of years, but has been a liability later in this season. So if one of our new guys or Rob M could step up I am happy with that.

Daly seems completely off the pace to me and I am not too upset that he is off. The irritating thing is that Gaby just seemed to be hitting some really good form and is now off.

BUT, the biggy IMO is Hughes. We have some great brilliant rowers, but NONE of them can do what Nathan (or Billy) can. We need a like for like replacement that can blast over the gain line and at the moment all we have is an ex Sarrie who I have NEVER seen play for them. This is my major worry on player recruitment.

Apart from that all we need is a fully fit squad and a world class defence coach and we'll be sorted ;-)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net