Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
No money, no coaches, no more signings
Discussion started by Twickwasp , 14 May, 2019 17:48
No money, no coaches, no more signings
Twickwasp 14 May, 2019 17:48
Worrying quotes from Dai about coaching for next year. Bobby bridgeís quotes tell us exactly what he said rather than the website slight spin.
Heís trying to distance himself from decisions about coaching- maybe heís right and they wonít give him any.
Lost out on Shaun, then another coach.
Iím struggling to understand if everyone else is using cvc money to pump their budgets why arent we?
I get that previously we spent up to the cap and others didnít but they now will- but why arent we next year? To lose most of our players due to money this year is frustrating.

Very concerned about next season. Some players had been mainstays of our top 4 success from last few years and theyíre now going. Replacements donít seem like for like and not convinced we have the coaches to make championship players even better.

Re: No money, no coaches, no more signings
John Tee 14 May, 2019 20:09
I'd be surprised if many clubs had room in their cap.
If Wasps are spending theirs then other certainly must be.
Tigers and Bath have international backlines...??

I think Wasps had one of the smallest squads so many clubs must pay poorly and give away many coffee shop franchises or something.

Shugs 14 May, 2019 20:28
I don't really understand why DY was so cryptic on the coaching stuff. I know there is press pressure but I'd have just stuck to tell us something when there is something to tell and don't say anything in between.

backdoc 14 May, 2019 20:58
Because he personally is the highest paid coach in the premiership on 500k? I seem to remember reading that sometime last year. That becomes difficult when you are not doing well and money becomes tight.

Skippy 14 May, 2019 21:30
If our prospects are so p155poor how did we get Vodaphone on board?

Matt82 14 May, 2019 21:46
Quote:
Shugs
I don't really understand why DY was so cryptic on the coaching stuff. I know there is press pressure but I'd have just stuck to tell us something when there is something to tell and don't say anything in between.

I wonder who the second coach is that turned us down and what position they were offered. Left field thinking but if we are looking at somebody to lead the coaching I think somebody like Alex Sanderson would be worth considering. Has done an unbelievable job at Sarries, whenever he's interviewed he has a great insight and I dont think he'd take @#$%& from the players. Reminds me a bit of Edwards. Although not a step up in terms of clubs, it would be in job terms.

Shugs 14 May, 2019 22:06
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
Shugs

I wonder who the second coach is that turned us down and what position they were offered. Left field thinking but if we are looking
at somebody to lead the coaching I think somebody like Alex Sanderson would be worth considering. Has done an unbelievable job at Sarries, whenever he's interviewed he has a great insight and I dont think he'd take @#$%& from the players. Reminds me a bit of Edwards. Although not a step up in terms of clubs, it would be in job terms.
Yes, decent call.

Andy1210 14 May, 2019 23:44
I really fear for next season in light of Daiís remarks and how weíve gone this year.

The coaching issue should have been addressed a lot earlier and the list of incoming players is meagre to say the least. With Lima not hitting the heights expected and whilst our big signing in Fekitoa might be a mate of his, I get the impression he got similar flak in France for uninspiring performances. The list of leavers is eye watering.

Add to that our poor quality coaches, International call ups and what seems like a perennial injury crisis, I think weíll be in a dogfight to stay up, but thatís my opinion and fearing the worst.

Obviously finances are tight, but is there an element here that the board are no longer fully behind Dai as his comments seem to indicate thereís a bit of frustration.

Heathen 15 May, 2019 07:05
Borthwick is the second coach to turn us down, according to the Daily Mail.

Wasps222 15 May, 2019 07:08
Interesting times ahead. I was chatting to of my kiwi friends and they basically said that Fekitoa hadnít really developed as hoped. He started off with great potential but hadnít improved and letís himself down with his decision making. Still letís see what happens he turns out for us.

Wasps222 15 May, 2019 07:08
Interesting times ahead. I was chatting to of my kiwi friends and they basically said that Fekitoa hadnít really developed as hoped. He started off with great potential but hadnít improved and letís himself down with his decision making. Still letís see what happens he turns out for us.

Twickwasp 15 May, 2019 07:16
With the calibre of the names that have turned us down, you wonder what has been going on this season? Whoís been coaching?
If we donít find anyone what will change.
Accept Danny Wilson shafted dai a bit.
Would still like to understand why we are not reinvesting the cvc money if thatís what Irish and saffa sharks are doing?
Have to hope the youngsters step up- but dai doesnít seem to trust them. If this lock signs weíll have 3 London Scottish players from last year- they are hardly tearing trees up.

backdoc 15 May, 2019 07:40
Maybe the cvc money is going straight into debt repayment.

BdeB 15 May, 2019 07:48
The Times is saying Steve Borthwick has turned us down as he wants to stay with England. If true it means we are still looking for what the Times calls a Senior coaching role. It also suggests that Senior coach at Wasps is one of the few senior roles open at the moment and so attractive.

Bracken&Macken 15 May, 2019 11:18
Quote:
BdeB
The Times is saying Steve Borthwick has turned us down as he wants to stay with England. If true it means we are still looking for what the Times calls a Senior coaching role. It also suggests that Senior coach at Wasps is one of the few senior roles open at the moment and so attractive.

So attractive everyone keeps turning it down.

Wonder if Connor O Shea would have had more lucky finding people to work for him.

InbetweenWasp 15 May, 2019 11:31
Quote:
backdoc
Maybe the cvc money is going straight into debt repayment.

Difficult to invest CVC money in playing salaries for additional squad members if weíre already paying up to the cap. Towards a big marquee signing perhaps, but not sure thereís a realistic option out there worth breaking the bank for.

Nomad_Wasp 15 May, 2019 11:36
Quote:
Bracken&amp;Macken
Quote:
BdeB

So attractive everyone keeps turning it down.

Wonder if Connor O Shea would have had more lucky finding people to work for him.

I imagine Connor O'Shea is currently hoping for a bit of luck to find someone to work for, post-October.

DrHankPym(superhero) 15 May, 2019 11:42
Quote:
backdoc
Because he personally is the highest paid coach in the premiership on 500k? I seem to remember reading that sometime last year. That becomes difficult when you are not doing well and money becomes tight.

A rumour/opinion stated by Andy Goode a few years ago that's hard to prove in present day DOR market.

Since he dropped that claim on Rugby Pod Saracens have won last year's Prem and this year's Champion Cup, for which it'd be hard to believe that Mark McCall hadn't been rewarded.

Also Chris Boyd has come over from New Zealand to revitalise Northampton. Coupled with whatever Bristol are paying Pat Lam, I don't think Goodey's bit of gossip stands up as being still being true (if it ever was).

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? - Vince Lombardi

Duckonstilts 15 May, 2019 17:27
Quote:
Skippy
If our prospects are so p155poor how did we get Vodaphone on board?

Of the clubs with big names most have long term sponsors (Alianz, SWCOMS, Dyson, Travis Perkins, Cat) Your probably one of few decent options

Shugs 15 May, 2019 17:56
Some of the CVC money is inevitably going to a combination of debt repayment and building the new training ground. I don't think our list of departures is eye watering as mentioned above. Most fans have spent the season saying how poor they think most of those leaving have been.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net