rugbyunion
Latest News:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

John Mitchell
Old Sod (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 08:05
DT today reports he has accepted a 2 year extension to his coaching post with England which they say "puts him in pole position" to replace Eddie Jones. Does anyone recall his time at Sudbury with Wasps?

Re: John Mitchell
westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 08:11
According to Warren, Eddie won't be going anywhere post WC.
Nightmare, really.

Snewbs (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 08:52
My understanding was that Eddie was signed up until ‘21 with ‘19 to ‘21 being a transitional period in which he hands the reigns over to someone else. Whoever that someone else is going to be they should be around the squad post World Cup. When the news broke that Borthwick had turned us down one of the reasons why was that he was pretty much the only coach in the England setup who was contracted beyond the World Cup.

Mitchell being in line to take over would make the amount of money the RFU paid to buy out his contract make more sense. Still an obscene number, but at least if they had it in mind for him to be number 1 then it makes sense.

Skippy (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 17:05
His time with the ABs did not go all that well by AB standards (a semi final exit in 03 and issues with the teams’ drinking culture). His time at Western Farce was not a happy one either. Both of these would seem to contrast strongly with his time at Wasps when he was highly regarded.

westwaleswasp (IP Logged)
13 June, 2019 20:43
Wasn't he a bit old school, even back then?

John Tee (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 09:34
Not sure about any long term contract
I think he is a last throw by jones to get the rwc back on track.

Getting rid of Jones and Mitchell if the rwc is a failure, ie, no semi final, will be expensive.

bg (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 10:08
Quote:
John Tee
Not sure about any long term contract
I think he is a last throw by jones to get the rwc back on track.

Getting rid of Jones and Mitchell if the rwc is a failure, ie, no semi final, will be expensive.

I have a feeling the additional 2 yr deal for EJ (and I'm presuming something similar has been offered to Mitchell) was optional and also conditional.

The condition being that Eng make it to the semis.. if not then EJ wouldn't be offered the additional 2yrs.. if Eng did make it to the Semis then the 2yr extension was there for EJ to accept or not with no come back if he declined.

Geewhiz50 (IP Logged)
14 June, 2019 15:38
I understand Jones has already negotiated and agreed the additional 2 year deal after the World Cup:

(Reuters) - England coach Eddie Jones will see out the remaining two years of his contract while defence coach John Mitchell has extended his deal until after this year’s World Cup, the Rugby Football Union (RFU) said on Thursday.

At least the RFU have learned from previous mistakes and not extended his contract prematurely (sarcasm!)(Sm103)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net