Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Christian Wade scores 65 yard touchdown
Discussion started by Aylesbury Wasp , 09 August, 2019 08:31
Christian Wade scores 65 yard touchdown
Aylesbury Wasp 09 August, 2019 08:31
Former Wasps and England winger Christian Wade scored a sensational 65-yard touchdown with his first carry on his Buffalo Bills debut.

Wade, 27, ran through a huge hole in the Indianapolis Colts defence to score in a 24-16 pre-season friendly victory.

The running back quit rugby union in October 2018 to pursue an NFL career, joining the Bills in April.

"I knew where I was going even before the ball came because they overloaded one side," said Wade.

"Then as soon as I got the ball I was off to the races. I was looking up at the screen to see if any of the linebackers or anyone was coming up behind me."

Re: Christian Wade scores 65 yard touchdown
Propped up 09 August, 2019 08:41
Needs to work onTD celebration though

Aylesbury Wasp 09 August, 2019 10:46
Ha. Yes maybe. His ball security when running looked a bit suspect too but then again he wasn’t in much danger of being tackled. One game does not guarantee anything in terms of making the final roster or practice squad but a 65 yard touchdown run is not a bad start!

Petergwilson 09 August, 2019 12:26
If only there was some indication he could have done something like that for England. Eddie might have given him a chance. (Sm6)

John Tee 09 August, 2019 19:45
Liked that ....heads up play, saw the gap and exploited it.
Id say that would suit him far better than having to run set routes
as WR&#314;
I wonder what his speed is like now carrying more weight...?

backdoc 10 August, 2019 09:24
"I wonder what his speed is like now carrying more weight...?"

Faster than the other bloke.

John Tee 10 August, 2019 14:37
indeed, they all carry extra weight in terms of kit.

Boooo 11 August, 2019 12:34
Still can't get used to all this white space. We need some shades of grey.

Anyway...some great insights and further analysis here about Wadey's touchdown.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.buffalobills.com]

It really does make you beam from ear to ear.
And it goes to prove that if you have belief and dedication, you can achieve what you set your mind to.
Obviously, he's still got a way to go...but wow, he can't possibly have dreamt a better outcome that that on his first ever touch of a ball in-play.

Let's hope he goes on to be a huge success...and then they'll have to make a film about his journey and introduce Wasps to the rest of the world.

Bzzzz 12 August, 2019 16:30
Well done Christian. Made me smile all day too.

Interesting that there was a bigger crowd for the training sessions than most Rugby Union teams get for a match day....

Wilberforce 12 August, 2019 22:36
Where did you see the training session?

Bzzzz 14 August, 2019 12:07
There are a few youtube clips of the Bills training sessions and an interview with Christian.

Boooo 17 August, 2019 05:51
Wadey doing it again in this week’s pre-season game.

[www.buffalobills.com]

Amazing.
A few weeks ago and Buffalo Bills fans didn’t really know anything about him.
Two weeks later and the majority of them hope he makes the 53 man main roster this season...which would go down as one of the greatest achievements for someone outside the game coming in. In such a short space of time.

The Bills fans have already fallen for him. I’m following Buffalo Bills Facebook Page to gauge reactions. Fascinating.

So proud of the guy.
Every opportunity he gets, he is grabbing.
An amazing athlete...and a very strong minded guy.
Keep going Christian.

wombles222 17 August, 2019 07:56
He is certainly making a huge impact, and I could not be more pleased for our Wadey! Looks as dangerous in the NFL as he always did in Rugby! As a Jacksonville Jaguars fan I would of loved to of seen him tearing it up at the Bank. I hope he makes the roster, and I would say that if the Bills put him into the season he will of well deserved it. It will be another step up for him though as pre season it is all about teams establishing plays, setting up their patterns, thus those on attacking drives get a little more change from opponents D’s than they will in the regular season, it will be tougher for Wadey, but if anyone can do it he can! With the money in the game if he does well I can see him making his fortune, and if his relationship continues with his Girlfriend it is possible they remain there permanently. However a selfish part of me hopes they return home one day for another stint in the black and gold! &#128512;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/08/2019 07:57 by wombles222.

Wilberforce 17 August, 2019 08:16
I thought he would for sure have to spend a year in the practice squad (as IPP 11th man he couldn’t be moved up to the full roster during the year) because he just doesn’t know enough about the game.
But that was a hell of a play. Caught the ball, broke tackles, made great yards. I think it might just get him the gig. If not with the Bills, with someone else. I’m very excited about this. Go Wadey.

Nomad_Wasp 17 August, 2019 15:52
The other great thing is how the rest of the squad have reacted to him doing well. He's clearly really popular

PhilH 17 August, 2019 16:15
Followed up in the game last night by fending off tackles and making 45 yards in a single play.

Geoff P 18 August, 2019 21:24
An irritating pedant writes:

Quote:
wombles222
I would of loved to of seen him tearing it up at the Bank.;

It’s actually ‘...I would have loved to have....’ which when you think about it makes more sense, but this is a classic and very common misunderstanding because so many people don’t pronounce ‘have’ properly and it comes out sounding like ‘ve’ ...which in turn sounds an awful lot like ‘of’.

I guess there are two possible responses to this post:

A. Ah OK that’s interesting
B. F*** off you to$$er

Feel free to choose the one that’s right for you. smiling smiley

Rinkadink 19 August, 2019 01:53
I don't know much about the American version of football but a week or so I read some comments that said Wade cannot make the 53 this year due to rules/regs, is this correct? Is there any way the Bills could fast track him by having rules changed?

Seems a shame and I don't really understand why such rules are in place. Surely if a player is good enough they're good enough and let the selectors decide.

AKWasp 19 August, 2019 07:32
Quote:
Rinkadink
I don't know much about the American version of football but a week or so I read some comments that said Wade cannot make the 53 this year due to rules/regs, is this correct? Is there any way the Bills could fast track him by having rules changed?
Seems a shame and I don't really understand why such rules are in place. Surely if a player is good enough they're good enough and let the selectors decide.

I think there’s definitely still a chance of him being selected in the roster. The issue is that the way the player program works is that participating teams are allowed an extra space on their practice squad to accommodate them.

Of course they’ll still have to pay him a wage alongside the other players already in the practice squad but having an extra player on the clubs books is not to be ignored.

Wadey has to prove that he’s good enough now rather than the team thinking he needs an extra year in the practice squad to learn the trade more/review him more

Ken I L Worth 19 August, 2019 12:47
If he's in a development squad, perhaps they could pay him through Wade Developments Ltd ... similar payment vehicles I believe are commonplace in North London winking smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net