Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Is Joe safe?
Discussion started by Boooo , 11 August, 2019 18:49
Is Joe safe?
Boooo 11 August, 2019 18:49
Charlie Ewels had a good game today.

It’s between him and Joe tomorrow I suspect.
Joe has experience on his side, but Ewels is evolving into a great player too.
Could Joe be back at the club on Tuesday?

And any other late bolters?
I hope Heinz actually starts over Ben Young’s.
Ludlum put it about. Watson and Joesph look fit and ready.
Still not sure about Daly at full back.

Thoughts about Joe’s chances?

Re: Is Joe safe?
Shugs 11 August, 2019 20:02
I think he'll go to Japan. But anything Jones does wouldn't surprise me. For me both JL and CE are better options than Kruis.

Heathen 11 August, 2019 21:47
Eddie will not leave Kruis behind.

AB 11 August, 2019 21:57
Quote:
Heathen
Eddie will not leave Kruis behind.
no he shouldnt as he is number 2 behind Maro and made a difference to line out moment he came on

John Tee 11 August, 2019 22:25
Not sure why the squad is named tomorrow if players are still putting their hand up and injuries still need to be determined.

Boooo 12 August, 2019 08:33
Quote:
John Tee
Not sure why the squad is named tomorrow if players are still putting their hand up and injuries still need to be determined.

Eddie believes that speculation around squad selection has hampered World Cup preparations in the past. He wants a settled squad.
He probably has a point...although, Eddie himself has spent the past 3 years making sure everyone was as unsettled as possible...so once again, a bit of contradiction going on.

On the rugby front...World Cups are tight affairs and the fitness and physicality are key to performing under pressure in the final 10 minutes, when matches are in the balance (ie Wales 2015).
We look good (again) in the first 20-30 minutes.
Then we seem to wain....and then we seem to have brain farts, like giving away needless penalties.
The opposition inevitably score a few tries/points, we have a wobble...and then our lead is nullified.
Fairly much happened again yesterday.

I'm still interested to see if we have a Plan B for the second half when playing top teams.
I do believe if we could sustain our performances and intensity from the first 25 minutes throughout the game, we could win the World Cup.
But, that's unrealistic - and so I want to know if the squad have learned how to adjust on-pitch when things aren't working out.
They stemmed the flow yesterday...but Wales were awful.
The next 2 weeks will reveal more.

Hangover 12 August, 2019 12:24
Kruis will go and rightly so, but if Joe doesn't then EJ is making a HUGE mistake. Ewels is good but Joe is head and shoulders above him at the moment. JL has bags of international experience and is constantly in the frame with Motm match performances. He is exactly the type of player that can win you a WC because he makes so few errors.

Still don't see why EJ has to announce his squad this early. Two warms up games to go, anything could happen - seems very strange. But he is.

Boooo 12 August, 2019 12:30
I think we have 3 warm-up games to go.

England v Italy
Friday 6th sept
7.45pm
St James' Park

John Tee 12 August, 2019 13:35
i thought Wales were lacking and id think that would be down to the training still in their legs.
Ditto, Ireland.
if that is not the case, they won't do much in the rwc

Geoff P 12 August, 2019 14:45
Quote:
John Tee
i thought Wales were lacking and id think that would be down to the training still in their legs.
Ditto, Ireland.
if that is not the case, they won't do much in the rwc

There were a lot of first choices in the Wales side, but many wannabes playing for England. History suggests that in such games before a big tournament the wannabes tend to do better...because they have more to play for, and aren't principally concerned with avoiding injury.

John Tee 12 August, 2019 19:48
so Gatland couldn't raise his team for a game they wanted to win???

I cant see Wales pkaying like in the next match

I thought Ewells did well, but JL is a known entity, never lets England down and would be first choice for most other teams.
Only NZ and Boks have better top two on paper..?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net