Latest news:

Logging in or posting queries? Look at the "How to..." button on the panel on the left.

BBC Rugby | Aviva Premiership TV | European Champions Cup | MatchDayLive Score Updates | Ultimate Rugby App

It's a DW, DW, DW world - where do DWs come from? <<<-->

*** BUY MATCH TICKETS | Join Wasps FC Amateurs ***

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Brad Shields
Discussion started by Matt82 , 12 August, 2019 14:14
Brad Shields
Matt82 12 August, 2019 14:14
Feel sorry for him. Came over to England to aim at getting into the WC squad and injuries over the first year he's been here have hampered him. Really thought at the end of the season he showed the form that brought him to prominence. What I would do now if I was Dai is to make him captain for the season. Give him a boost. Joe is going to be away a lot this season so we need to hit the ground with a captain starting the season with us. I'd also then make Robbo vice captain. Joe is certainly our talisman but as I said with this season him being away with England a fair bit is want to see stability with the captaincy.

Re: Brad Shields
SimonG19 12 August, 2019 15:08
Kiwi fails to get into England squad.

I feel more sorry for certain English players who failed to get into the England squad.

neils 12 August, 2019 15:08
I would fully agree with this. Assuming England get a reasonable distance in the WC we are not going to see Joe back much before December if we have to invoke the rest period.

RossM 12 August, 2019 15:13
Quote:
SimonG19
I feel more sorry for certain English players who failed to get into the England squad.

Kiwi (Willi Heinz) gets into England squad. At least Brad has two English parents. AFAIK, Willi only has 1 English grandparent!

westwaleswasp 12 August, 2019 15:40
The scrum half decisions have been utterly perplexing these past two years...

Bzzzz 12 August, 2019 16:34
Yep I feel sorry for the English players overlooked while we imported a player to go straight into the England squad. It must be very disheartening especially when there are better unselected back rowers in the Prem. already.

Not got a downer on Brad. He has shown promise but not the necessary consistency as yet. I hope this next season will prove his worth, first to Wasps, then to England.

Skippy 12 August, 2019 16:35
There have been decisions at scrum half? Thatís news to me. All Iíve seen is: pick Youngs, rinse, repeat!

Itís no wonder the Robson struggled with blood clots. He probably got DVT from sitting about too much.

Shugs 12 August, 2019 17:27
Did we import a Kiwi? I thought we just selected a player, quite within the rules, who qualified to play for England. There's been a lot of nonsense talked about Shields and his form in the media. England will miss him and I think he'll have s huge season for us next year.

westglos 12 August, 2019 18:07
Quote:
RossM
Quote:
SimonG19

Kiwi (Willi Heinz) gets into England squad. At least Brad has two English parents. AFAIK, Willi only has 1 English grandparent!

Heinz has also lived here for four years....

John Tee 12 August, 2019 19:41
I thought Ludlam took his chance very well. i didnt see that type of impact from Shields.
No problem with that choice but sure, injury didnt help.

Not sure about Underhill in a boot, and he hasn't been the most durable these last few years anyway...so who knows

Shugs 12 August, 2019 20:55
Quote:
John Tee
I thought Ludlam took his chance very well. i didnt see that type of impact from Shields.

Not sure about Underhill in a boot, and he hasn't been the most durable these last few years anyway...so who knows
One game from Ludlam against a woeful Wales team. Having read the Jones mantra that "caps win cups" the likes of Robson and Shields must be spitting chips about the sudden selection of 5 players from nowhere.

ukms 12 August, 2019 21:12
Quote:
Shugs
Quote:
John Tee

One game from Ludlam against a woeful Wales team. Having read the Jones mantra that "caps win cups" the likes of Robson and Shields must be spitting chips about the sudden selection of 5 players from nowhere.

Iím sure Shields is pretty peeíd off about being injured but why would he have an issue about someone else being selected ?

Shugs 12 August, 2019 21:26
Quote:
ukms
Quote:
Shugs
Quote:
John Tee

One game from Ludlam against a woeful Wales team. Having read the Jones mantra that "caps win cups" the likes of Robson and Shields must be spitting chips about the sudden sele
ction of 5 players from nowhere.

Iím sure Shields is pretty peeíd off about being injured but why would he have an issue about someone else being selected ?
If he's only not been selected due to injury then fair enough. However, there is four weeks to go until the official squad deadline. Jones could easily have done something to factor him in if he was likely to recover. I'm not sure he's not just been overlooked.

westwaleswasp 13 August, 2019 02:06
I must admit, I would not have taken him. I do think he will do well for us.

SimonG19 13 August, 2019 11:23
Quote:
RossM
Quote:
SimonG19

Yep. One Kiwi failed to get in the England squad and another Kiwi succeeded in getting into the England squad.

Matt82 13 August, 2019 15:51
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
RossM
Quote:
SimonG19

Yep. One Kiwi failed to get in the England squad and another Kiwi succeeded in getting into the England squad.

So when Fiji Joe scores the winning try in the final you'll be screaming that Thorley should have been taken then?

SimonG19 13 August, 2019 17:03
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
RossM
Quote:
SimonG19

So when Fiji Joe scores the winning try in the final you'll be screaming that Thorley should have been taken then?

Poor example. Joe was born in Fiji but moved to England at the age of three with his family (father was in the British Army) so he clearly didn't move to this country to play international rugby. I have no problems with him playing for England in the same way Andrew Strauss and Matt Prior who were both born overseas but moved to this country as kids and grew up here did for the England cricket team.

But there are better examples you could pick who might score the winning try for their "adopted for rugby convenience" country in the RWC Final. If they do I won't be screaming at anyone or anything but will quietly be saddened that the honour of representing your country is so easily transferable for some.

Just my opinion which I state without trying to imagine how others who disagree might react.

DBee 13 August, 2019 17:14
Iíd be surprised if that the 31 that eventually go to the World Cup. Iím sure theyíll be injuries between now and the time they go.

ukms 13 August, 2019 17:14
Didnít really see many complaining when Nathan was biding his time to become an EQP playing for Wasps. Most were applauding him once he pulled on an England shirt.

Matt82 13 August, 2019 19:24
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
Matt82
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
RossM
Quote:
SimonG19

Poor example. Joe was born in Fiji but moved to England at the age of three with his family (father was in the British Army) so he clearly didn't move to this country to play international rugby. I have no problems with him playing for England in the same way Andrew Strauss and Matt Prior who were both born overseas but moved to this country as kids and grew up here did for the England cricket team.

But there are better examples you could pick who might score the winning try for their "adopted for rugby convenience" country in the RWC Final. If they do I won't be screaming at anyone or anything but will quietly be saddened that the honour of representing your country is so easily transferable for some.

Just my opinion which I state without trying to imagine how others who disagree might react.

Your argument is poor in that Shields family are English!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net