Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The latest signing
Posted by: TheRealBigEasy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 14:31

Re: The latest signing
Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 14:31

Decent I guess - suppose that means one of Bucko or Blaney is off.

Posted by: NigelN (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 14:36

Didn't see that one coming. But seems a good signing - the Glaws supporters seem to rate him.

Date: 23 February, 2012 14:41

GetReading article says Bucko has agreed terms, so I guess Blaney is off. Should make the fight for the hooker's shirt pretty competitive next season.

Posted by: SamB_LI (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 15:11

Why do we need 3 quality hookers?!?!?!? Anyone of them would be a good starter. Some funny recruitment going on here.

I should add that Lawson is a fantastic player who would be a great signing if we didn't have a front line hooker. As it is, it just seems that we are paying 3 high quality players in the same position?!

Posted by: Cormac (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 15:45

If Blaney is off, does that mean no Irish players in the squad next year, or am I forgetting someone?

Posted by: hooray Henley (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 15:47

Begining to see a pretty good pattern here. Big decent forwards coming in. Lock, back row and front row all decent players who will improve our set piece.... Which, in case people haven't noticed is where we have been weak this season. Assuming the rumours are true and we have Stephen Jones and Richard Kingi, I reckon another lock, a tight head or two and a 7 will do it for me.

Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 15:54

Blaney has impressed me whenever I've seen him play, and has scored some good tries too.

I'd agree with Sam that hooker is the least of our problems...

Posted by: Jamo (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 15:58

Quote:
SamB_LI
Why do we need 3 quality hookers?!?!?!? Anyone of them would be a good starter. Some funny recruitment going on here.
I should add that Lawson is a fantastic player who would be a great signing if we didn't have a front line hooker. As it is, it just seems that we are paying 3 high quality players in the same position?!

Right back with you with this one Sam!- not that Iím any strategist but these latest signings have left me scratching my head.

Posted by: CoAntrimExile (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 16:09

Quote:
Cormac
If Blaney is off, does that mean no Irish players in the squad next year, or am I forgetting someone?

James Sandford recently signed a contract extension.

Posted by: Cormac (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 16:19

PHEW! Thanks.

Date: 23 February, 2012 16:20

Certainly need 3 hookers - 2 in the squad and one injured. Two should be fighting for the starting place. So maybe it's a question of how highly you rate Bucko.

Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 16:25

Very!

Posted by: Fitzy 2 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 16:26

]Good signings could make us competive again, unlucky on Blaney if he is the one to go
Thought he should have got more game time

Date: 23 February, 2012 16:31

I think that Bucko and Paicey are both really good hookers.. Do all the basics pretty well, BUT. I remember a few years back when we had Dani coetzee here. When he played the scrum went forward - when he didn't it didn't.

I actually reckon that, good as they are at other things neither Paicey nor Bucko are great "feet back" scrummagers... Perhaps Lawson is

Posted by: exilejoe1 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 16:36

Of course you need 3 hookers that you'd be willing to put in the starting line up.

When you say the latest signings have left you scratching your head...who exactly would you like us to sign?

Please don't say "a top quality 7" without naming exactly who it is that you'd like to sign in that position.

Don't say "a top quality tight head" without saying exactly who it is that you'd like to sign in that position.

Same for 10, same for FB same for any other position that you'd like to look at

Posted by: Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 16:43

You clerarly need 3 hookers and think having 3 quality ones is a good move better than having 2 and one you won't play which we have had in some positions in the past! (Some of the current props possibly fall into this group)

For those scratching their heads is it possible that on the limited funds we have Toby is recruiting as he can and people become available we can afford.

Certinally hope that they have kept some money for a 10,.

Posted by: TheRealBigEasy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 16:49

Certainly hope you are going to get your erse in gear and update the "players out of contract" thread (Sm6)

Posted by: Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 17:16

On tonights to do list

With last weeks match report

Posted by: olospo (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 17:35

Quote:
Jon_r43
On tonights to do list
With last weeks match report

What have you been doing all week? (Sm129)

Posted by: bisach (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 17:38

It will make an interesting last game of the season.

I shall continue to dislike him until he leaves them and joins us.

Date: 23 February, 2012 17:44

Very true bisach...chances of 6th v 7th anyone?

Posted by: Earley Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 18:43

Any news on the Kingi chap?

I'd rather be a Paddy than a quin.
I'd rather drink a Guinness than a Pimms.

Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 19:45

Lawson is a good signing if we manage to strengthen in all of the other areas we are lacking (another prop, 7 and 8 if Trev/Hoff aren't around, 9, 10 and another back three to replace Delon). However if we miss out on any of these areas then it seems like a strange usage of resources especially as he will be away with Scotland for much of the year.

As for the Tongan prop, not really sure he will bolster our scrum, but maybe Toby has decided that the scrum is such a lottery that we may as well put out a pack of carriers rather than set piece experts!

Date: 23 February, 2012 23:11

Quote:
SirBurger
Lawson is a good signing if we manage to strengthen in all of the other areas we are lacking (another prop, 7 and 8 if Trev/Hoff aren't around, 9, 10 and another back three to replace Delon).

any names that you'd like as opposed to mythical "7's" and "back three's" that are just waiting for us to find them...?

Posted by: LITillIDie (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 23:15

It will come out in the wash, just wait and all will become clear. I assure you we will be competitive next season, just keep watching for press releases......

Date: 23 February, 2012 23:28

Quote:
LITillIDie
It will come out in the wash, just wait and all will become clear. I assure you we will be competitive next season, just keep watching for press releases......
Dream on, after todays revelations I can't take much more!

Posted by: JamesC (IP Logged)
Date: 23 February, 2012 23:47

seem to be decent recruits so far - will wait for the rest to come in.

Posted by: LITillIDie (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 00:09

Jamo, you are just not in know..... Just wait a bit.... You need to know where exactly you are with player exits first and I can tell you we have some good news to come......

Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 03:47

Is Dan staying then?

Posted by: Loobs (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 05:58

It's all well and good saying don't say a 7 without offering a name up. Exactly how many people would have offered Scott Lawson or George Skivington as names?

Posted by: AlecW (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 07:40

Their parents, I guess...!

Date: 24 February, 2012 10:21

I am just tired of people saying "why are we getting an international hooker and a premiership class lock when we really need a top class 7"

Yes we do, now only If we could find one...

Posted by: Griff (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 10:33

I just hate the attitude that seem to prevail here.

First we have people saying "Everyone's leaving and we're not signing anyone - WE'RE DOOMED!" (Incidentally, this happens every year, honestly).

Then the club actually announce some (pretty tasty, IMNVHO) signings and the same people are now saying "Meh!".

Now, if that's the end of our signings for next season I would agree that we appear a little light (and, yes, back-row is the priority) but, and I'm amazed no-one ever remembers this, LI never announce signings until the ink is dry on the contract. I guarantee we'll see more signings so just relax. Sure, discuss who you'd like and where we're short but all this angst and wailing is just sad.

Now, that's not to say I'm confident we'll get everyone we need - we never have and top-class rugby talent simply isn't available as and when you need it.

I would also say that, as welcomes to the club go I'm appalled by some of the comments about the new signings. Yes, I know I'll get the whole brigade of "what's a MB for then?" folks whining but really ? What do disparaging comments about guys we know very little about actually achieve? This isn't about what you CAN and CAN'T do here, more SHOULD and SHOULDN'T. YMMV.

Date: 24 February, 2012 11:04

Actually I'm feeling quite positive about the news so far - as HH says, there's a pattern here. We've suffered from having a pack that could get bullied on a bad day (and it had too many bad days). It's beginning to look like we'll have a significantly more bolshie pack next season. It will be interesting to see how the final chips fall.

Posted by: paulm1953 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 11:29

I think we need additional coaching resource for the scrum as it is ridiculous how often we are mullered in the scrum. How many other teams give away tries when they are on their own 5 or 10 metre line and there is a scrum?

Come on you Irish

Paul

Posted by: Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 12:28

If you look at the backs, we are pretty much fine in the three-quarter line. Shingler, Hape, Ansbro, Joseph, Ojo, Tagicakibau, Yarde, Homer and cover from Watson. Similarly we are fine at lock, with Skivington, Evans, Garvey, Sandford, Smith and cover from Low and others in the academy.

Signings like these three give us strength in the forwards where we need depth and quality. We've signed a sixth/seventh prop to cover both sides, but still need a big gnarly tighthead. Skivington and Smith give us a strong second row, but we need a true openside and possibly a N8 if Huff is off as rumoured. Lawson is a class signing as a competent international who, if we can keep Buckland, will give us three options at hooker.

If we can get another 2 props (one a damn good tighthead), 2 back rowers and some halfbacks, then we have a decent squad that we can acheive something with. Just hoping the rumours about Jones and Kingi pan out

Posted by: R@L (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 13:07

Lawson, who has over 30 caps for Scotland scoring two tries,

That's a very good average for a Scotland international.

Date: 24 February, 2012 13:21

And add to that Spratt for another two years. All we need is another 5 forwards (L, TH, HK, OF, BR/N8) and a pair of halfbacks and we are sorted.

Posted by: richfitz (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 13:31

As an aside on the scrums, and I await being shooed by HH, I have a theory on this. We, as a club, have focused on the lineout as primary possession and we have recruited and focused primarily on jumpers etc. What we dont have and havent had for a while is any oomph (technical term) in the scrum. For me Nick doesnt give much in the scrum, which may explain his exclusion from the England Squad, and it could be why we are often going backwards despite our props winning personal battles. Skivington for me is a key purchase, if we can recruit another second row enforcer, then I think we may see our scrums go forward on occasions next season. It would also mean we could push Garvey to back row and then forward recruitment is then limited to a back up 7 to Gibson (Sisi) and an 8, as well as another tighthead (see in the Dictionary under Hen's teeth)

Date: 24 February, 2012 13:34

Lazy boy- what's an OF?

Also, why another HK? If that means hooker...

Also, any names you'd like to see?

Posted by: mawhis (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 13:37

OF = Openside Flanker presumably

Date: 24 February, 2012 13:45

Quote:
LITillIDie
Jamo, you are just not in know..... Just wait a bit.... You need to know where exactly you are with player exits first and I can tell you we have some good news to come......

Spratt?

Posted by: SamB_LI (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 13:57

Do you not rate Spratt then Jamo? He's better at 12 than Bowden.

Date: 24 February, 2012 14:08

Is he? I am a fan of spratt but think 10 games does not a reputation make, especially when they've not all been at 12.

Date: 24 February, 2012 14:08

Exile Joe - Mawhis is right on the abbreviations. OF = Openside

LH - I'd hang onto Dermody (he's suggested he is still negotiating terms) as he brings experience and ability, and has done a good job in bringing Max and Alex through. Davit Khinchagishvili from Brive also seems a good player with years left at this level.

HK - Again, I'd stick with Buckland to make a trio of good players who can rotate and compete.

TH - I'd like us to make a move for a big gnarly tighthead around late 20s to 30 who can stay for a few years. Eugene von Staden (Biarritz) or Lorenzo Cittadini (Treviso) sound like very good players

OF - Hopeful that we keep Treviranus, but I'd like us to look at other options. Maybe Pritchard from the academy could get a run out.
BF/N8 - John Beattie has been out of form. At worst, it gives us depth. At best, we get one of the Killer Bs of 2010

I'd also like us to keep Danaher and sign Stephen Jones as he has the experience and control we really need to get the backs going. Glad we are keeping Spratt too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2012 14:09 by Lazyboy346.

Posted by: AlecW (IP Logged)
Date: 24 February, 2012 14:09

richfitz - I agree. The rightside 2nd row is usually the powerhouse of the two and this is a role that Bob used to play admirably. Garvey may turn out to play a similar role, as could Skivington for next season.

Kennedy, Evans and Roche (when forced into the 2nd row) are all on the lanky side and quite possibly lack something in the "shove" department.

Date: 24 February, 2012 14:14

No Shoeing from me Rich. I pretty much agree with you. As all us old lags say though.... If your scrum goes backwards look at your back row. I'm really not sure because the scrum is now so diferent to my time, but everyone reckons we have good props, I agree our second row "Boiler house" is light, but you have to get the shove coming from both flanks and the 8. God knows how they can shove with their heads up in the air

Date: 24 February, 2012 14:30

I'd like sisi to have a run at the 7 shirt and would take Stephen jones for sure. What is the contract status of the other players?

On the subject of Georgia, do we think it is work permit issues that stops more clubs from trawling there for tough forwards? Large pro league that churns out top class front rows could be worth a deeper dig.

Maybe the best are already in France but there could be depth back in Tbilisi

Date: 24 February, 2012 15:31

Quote:
SamB_LI
Do you not rate Spratt then Jamo? He's better at 12 than Bowden.

I do Sam, I was just wondering who LITillIDie was referring to and I've just seen the post re Stephen Jones and now I'm getting really interested!!

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net