rugbyunion
Latest News:

Todays Game
oliverc7 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:27
Thoughts on the Youngs incident.. knee drop and a couple of rubbish open handed shots?? yellow card?? maybe even a red??

Irish very unlucky deserved something out of the game thought Ansbro had a very solid game.. back row worked hard..front row had a hard time! felt pretty sorry for Max.. came on in a tough situation.. backs went well.. Tagi had a good game.. Homer of course cool calm as per!!

Classic Leicester grind out another win!!

Thoughts

Re: Todays Game
dandaman (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:32
Our boys gave everything they had. But it was always going to be difficult againts a Leicester side packing with internationals.

Also Youngs very lucky not to get sin-binned in my opinion.

Pixham (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:37
Need to start getting turnovers at rucks. Tigers just roll on and unless they get pinged for holding on they'll just grind over the line

Need to stop opening the door to oppo's centres. Happened 3 or 4 times today for big territory gains and a couple of tries.

Scrum looked shakey, but let's not forget that was Scrums R Us out there today and it could've been a lot worse. Just look at the pasting Saints got in the LV.

One last thought: TOMTASTIC

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:41
That was hard on Irish, who really deserved at least the LBP. I fear Ben may be taking an enforced rest - which might at least enable him to be taken on one side so he can get his head straight.

Into the valley
Peas sure sound divine
That sissy suffered you but who can Viv iron?
The soldiers go marching, there's masses of lamb
Whose disease is catskin?
My picture is Hugh's toe
Ahoy, ahoy, Len see a sty
Ahoy, ahoy, barman & soda
Ahoy, ahoy, juicy men embalmed her
Ahoy, ahoy, lung nearly gave!

Greenham Phil (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:44
No doubt I'll be accused of being a bad loser, but Tigers appear to have an entirely different set of law interpretations applied to them than most teams.

Knee drops on players and head height shoulder charges are perfectly legal, lazy running is allowed, coming in to the ruck from entirely the wrong side, let alone the side, is ok.

Irish deserved more from that game than the score suggests and Tigers did nothing IMHO to argue the case that their nickname isn't thoroughly deserved.

Pixham (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:55
Why on Earth are Tigers letting Twelvetrees go?

GSB111 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:59
My heart sank when the Tigers player knocked on in front of our posts - only ever going to be one outcome from that last scrum!

adammg (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:59
I think Youngs was lucky to still be on the field. That said, I do want to watch it back when we get home.

Tagi and Tom were great today, and I thought Ofisa was really good off the bench!

mentallymadmax (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 18:00
You think Leicester want Twelvetrees to go? Bowden looks a pretty good swap though.

Think Youngs could be cited for the knee, maybe a week or 2 missed, not much else in it, considering the 'punches' pretty much missed, and he was being provoked and then retaliated against.

Great game though. Your boys were very unlucky I thought. Things looking a bit brighter for you again.

SamB_LI (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 18:00
Tigers lost control of the ball in 2 second half rucks through their own mistakes and we were penalised both times. Crazy.

Tigers do foul like mad at the ruck, block kick chasers, block tacklers etc but the ref lets them get away with it so why not?! We should take a leaf out of their book.

Irish Wolf (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 18:12
How can you learn from them we got pinged not rolling away when they did it all day newby was blatantly offside at three rucks ay least and the final try they took our man offside richards was bl**dy #awful at best

Portcullis Irish (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 18:18
Would love to hear from someone who watched on tv how poor Bowden's defence was?
Should have been able to see that game out & I fear giving Casey his sentimeental send-off cost us when we were chasing a win after Tiggs got their last penalty.

Ansboro looked good as did Shingler.
Fantastic kick-off take by Jamie G

GSB111 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 18:34
Portcullis Irish - absolutely agree. We took Evans off, who was having a reasonably good game, and replaced him with someone who can barely walk, leave alone run. And some of Bob's passing was "shovel it away and hope". Admire the man beyond belief, and loved watching him in his prime, but we can't afford sentimental substitutions in a match like today.

SamB_LI (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 18:34
You see, I thought Bob showed what we missed. He came on, and immediately began shoving and pulling at the Leicester fella who looked like Genghis Khan. The guy nearly lost his rag and punched him. Bob then started pushing and shoving Leicester players as they tried to join the ruck, argued with the ref and then gathered the forces after the scrum penalty. We showed loads of passion today, but none of that hard-nosed, street-wise play that got us to the final of the Amlin cup and the Premiership.

He may not be that mobile anymore, but we sure do miss Bob's presence.

ciarano (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 19:00
Didn't Tuilagi do one of his trademark borderline decapitating hits on Dan Bowden/ If Delon had have done the same it would have been red and a lengthy ban.
I though Irish were immense today.

AndyMulhearn (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 19:07
WTF? This the first game this year that we've not played complete @#$%& and all I find on this message board is complaints about how much the Tigers got away with? Sheesh, some of you guys need to get a touch of perspective and look back two months at how woeful we were.

mentallymadmax (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 19:08
Manu's hit was fine. Fully commited, used the arms (though Bowden bounced hard). He actually rarely makes an illegal tackle, certainly no more than a lot of players. Well played Bowden for shipping the ball.

jojo (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 19:13
Well played Irish thought you were unlucky not to win today.

Have to laugh though about Tigers coming from the wrong side, slowing ball down, lazy runners etc as all teams do it. Penalise Tigers by all means but treat everyone the same.

Re Ben Youngs, I admit I don't always see things the same as non Tigers supporters but from the distant pictures all you can really see is BY trying to get away whi;e someone holds onto BY leg. Bound to fall onto your knees in that circumstance. As for the alleged punches they were handbags and probably missed.

If anyone closer to the action saw it clearer then I stand corrected.

adammg (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 19:55
I saw at least 3 punches land whilst BY was on top of him! Darren was on him pretty quickly though...

CooperMan (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 19:59
Is there a case for the officials to answer, maybe some correctional training to bring them to the required standard? I ask only because it seems to happen all too often (not only to LI I hasten to add), yet those whose actions are instrumental in the progress of the match seem to carry on in their merry way regardless.

Coops

exilejoe1 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 20:17
Hang on- trying to get away while some holds his leg- he still had the ball and was being tackled, albeit not very convincingly

millsy_rugby_man (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 20:25
Gibson had a great game and got to Youngs and Youngs just couldn't hold his cool, completely lost it and I saw at least 2 punches to Gibsons face

BigTiger (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 20:53
Ben Youngs should not have done what he did to try and get away from your No8 who clearly was hanging on to him off the ball. Also you N0 10 came steaming in after and throttled him? Stones in glass houses?

GMC_LI (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 21:04
Pass that double-eye patch over will you please BigTiger...

Pigmy (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 21:07
Quote:
BigTiger
Ben Youngs should not have done what he did to try and get away from your No8 who clearly was hanging on to him off the ball. Also you N0 10 came steaming in after and throttled him? Stones in glass houses?

I didn't see the Youngs incident but I did see our 10 plough into him and thought we were lucky not to lose him for 10 mins for jumping into someone else's fight

exilejoe1 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 21:09
I was wrong, just seen it on replay as opposed to in the ground. I thought the holding on was referring to the tackle just before that.

Silly by youngs 4 weeks cut to 2

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 21:26
Saw Allinson jump on Youngs, but little else (west lower view).

Tuilagi's tackle was fine (hard but legal) except Bowden didn't have the ball in that move. It went from the player on Bowden's left to the one on his right who were ahead of Bowden. Bowden then got hit by Tuilagi as the ball went out wide, well away from him. Should have been a penalty for tackling without the ball, nothing else.

Ecksile (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 21:32
Quote:
CooperMan
Is there a case for the officials to answer, maybe some correctional training.........

I say old chap, we'll have none of that sort of thing on this message board (Sm100)

Tommy B (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 21:43
Totally agree Ciarano, Tuilagi gets away again, with a very suspect looking hit, haven't seen the replay yet, but from where I was sitting, it didn't look like he used his arms in the "tackle"

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 21:47
Thought it was bad at the ground but have looked and is just about OK.

Dan's pass was so quick that he is tackled without the ball so should be a pen but arms were in for most of it.

ra (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 22:09
I can't believe that you lot were watching the same game as I was.
Firstly YBY didn't have the ball whilst he was being held, the ball was nowhere near him.
Secondly Manu tackled Bowden about a millisecond after Bowden shipped it to his left. At the clip Manu was moving there's no way in the world that he could have pulled out of his (perfectly legal) tackle.
And they say Tigers' fans are one eyed! (Sm16)

http://home.zonnet.nl/fred.kitty/calvin/A_hob.gif

CooperMan (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 07:37
Quote:
Ecksile
Quote:
CooperMan
Is there a case for the officials to answer, maybe some correctional training.........

I say old chap, we'll have none of that sort of thing on this message board (Sm100)
I was thinking they could have their gonads wired up to the mains and geta shot every time they make a mistake!

Coops

SamB_LI (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 08:01
I think Tuilagi's hit was just about fair, bit late and probably a penalty, but little more.

Shame really, as I'd love to see the arrogant little sh*t get a huge ban.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:33
Ra - I was sitting only about 30 yards from the Ben Young incident and Gibson clearly tackled Ben Youngs and Youngs did not release the ball. Youngs then kneed Gibson and then laid at least 2 maybe three punches to Gibson's face. He is a petulant thug/ child and NEEDS to be banned.

Come on you Irish

Paul

waltham (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 10:18
....and how/why did the officials let half of Tigers team remain so many yards offside in front of the kicker at (at least) two re-starts?

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 10:23
Quote:
paulm1953
Ra - I was sitting only about 30 yards from the Ben Young incident and Gibson clearly tackled Ben Youngs and Youngs did not release the ball. Youngs then kneed Gibson and then laid at least 2 maybe three punches to Gibson's face. He is a petulant thug/ child and NEEDS to be banned.

He did all this while holding on to the ball? Whatever happened to quick service?

Into the valley
Peas sure sound divine
My picture is Hugh's toe

ra (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 17:57
Quote:
Gibson clearly tackled Ben Youngs and Youngs did not release the ball. Youngs then kneed Gibson and then laid at least 2 maybe three punches to Gibson's face.

Odd then that they were the only two involved until your out half tackled Benny from behind (sorry heroically rescued his teammate from the unwelcome attentions of a man ten times bigger than him). You'd think that if Benny was holding onto the ball the focus of play would have been right there rather than a few yards further infield wouldn't you?

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 19:43
Where you at the game?

ra (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 19:47
Nope, speaking with the benefit of slo mo replays (several times)

looks like the Lardy one agrees with me too

Quote:
Stuart Barnes
I chose three random newspapers to read online and the England scrum half garnered the headline in two of them and a second paragraph all to himself for the third. Not a mention of Jamie Gibson, other than the little matter of he being the opposing player holding the scrum half down with the ball in play elsewhere and Youngs desperate to keep up with play.
(my emphasis)

Pixham (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 20:41
Quote:
ra
Nope, speaking with the benefit of slo mo replays (several times)
looks like the Lardy one agrees with me too

Quote:
Stuart Barnes
I chose three random newspapers to read online and the England scrum half garnered the headline in two of them and a second paragraph all to himself for the third. Not a mention of Jamie Gibson, other than the little matter of he being the opposing player holding the scrum half down with the ball in play elsewhere and Youngs desperate to keep up with play.
(my emphasis)

Stuart Barnes, the fount of all rugby knowledge and opinion. NOT.

ra (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 21:02
Okay but my point was that not that his opinion has to be correct re who was to blame but that he too says that the incident happened after the ball had gone.

Tigergeezer (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 21:12
I've just watched the highlights. While Youngs is going at Gibson (which is to say, while Gibson is holding on to him so he can't move), the ball is not in Youngs's hands, but in a ruck some way away, that being the ruck which Youngs presumably is keen to get to to do his scrumhalf duties instead of said duties being performed by Steve Mafi, who can clearly be seen holding picking the ball from the ruck, and holding it, when it all kicks off. Not saying Ben won't get cited and banned, but whoever it was saying it was all while he was holding the ball would appear to be talking toot.

Into the valley
Peas sure sound divine
My picture is Hugh's toe

ciarano (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 21:36
At the risk of labouring the point re the Bowden/Tuilagi incident. Dan did not have the ball when Tuilagi clobbered him. I found this quote interesting from the Guardian referring to the incident.

'Leicester, though, have finally got all their internationals back and take a lot of knocking over. They also hit hard themselves, a brutal, no-arms smash by Manu Tuilagi on Daniel Bowden just before the interval underlining the point. Cockerill felt it was entirely legal - "It looked nastier than it actually was" - but it was reminiscent of the high shot which saw Bath's young fly-half Tom Heathcote invalided out of the game by Maurie Fa'asavalu at Harlequins on Saturday. The game cannot afford to turn a blind eye to crude shoulder-height tackles if it is to remain a sport for all sizes.'

Tuilagi tried the same thing on Sexton at Twickenham. Rugby is without doubt a rough game. But for coaches to legitimise this style of play is at odds with the whole ethos of the game. American football it ain't.
Perhaps it was just a welcome to Leicester handshake.

adammg (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 22:43
At the time I thought Saggy-Waggy put in a naughty, but the replay did change my mind! It was only fractionally late, and his arms were up.

olospo (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 23:18
Didn't Hape get cited for a tackle similar to Manu's earlier in the season?

adammg (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 23:32
He landed with his back - at least saggie waggie went in front first

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net