Latest News:
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Toby resigned to defeat...
Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2012 18:27

"If you said that you could get a losing bonus point away to Exeter you wouldn't have been too disappointed."

[www.sportinglife.com]

Lord above, if that's the sort of motivational talk the team are getting, I reckon Smiffy should sellotape Toby's gob over...

Re: Toby resigned to defeat...
Posted by: Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2012 18:32

fuel them on a dozen pints of the black stuff before the game and repeat the fields of athenry a few times before hand and im sure we'll be AP champions next year!

Posted by: tykez (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2012 19:03

Posted by: SamB_LI (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2012 19:21

Toby's still in La La Land when it comes to press interviews I see.

Posted by: SubTel (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2012 20:10

I'd have liked to have seen just the first 2 words of your message title (Sm16)

Posted by: Jamo (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2012 20:43

Oh dear! I've defended Toby when all the flack was flying but I do wonder whether it's time that Brian took over the whole outfit. That sort of rhetoric is unbelievable. Losing bonus point away to Exeter ffs!

Posted by: Apprentice Leprehaun (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2012 21:50

This was another winerable game that we threw away!(Sm106)

Players simply cannot put back-to-back performances?

Poor game management was again the underlying problem! (Sm122)

Posted by: Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2012 23:05

Quote:
Jamo
Oh dear! I've defended Toby when all the flack was flying but I do wonder whether it's time that Brian took over the whole outfit. That sort of rhetoric is unbelievable. Losing bonus point away to Exeter ffs!

Keep underestimating us, we thrive on it. Exeter aren't the whipping boys, we're not easy to beat. Give your man some credit, he's certainly watched more of Exeter than you have. The table doesn't lie.

Posted by: Johnswlondon (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2012 07:41

A winnable game? Not from where I was standing! If their fly half had kicked the points on offer we would have been dead and buried just after half time. Exeter r a good team on paper not much to beat but very well drilled with excellent ball retention who threw it around more than expected. They have a hard edge and we would do well to copy some of their ideas especially around half back. Their 9 and 10 are limited but they played it simple and scrum half in particular just focused on getting the ball away from the ruck as quickly as possible. Get Allinson to watch videos of what a 9 is supposed to do!

Posted by: peejay (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2012 08:06

Hope Smithy is having a good look at the coaching set up. Scrum is poor, and halfbacks rather kick ball away than trust our (talented?) backs.
No direspect to Exeter, but our players on paper should edge them out. The difference must be motivation and tactics and the coaching staff at Exeter have trumped us royally!

Posted by: GSB111 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2012 09:01

Exeter are a great example of what can be achieved with limited resources compared to the "big guns". They only have 8 internationals, with about 60 caps between them.

Posted by: Jamo (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2012 09:09

Quote:
Geronimo Jim
Quote:
Jamo

Keep underestimating us, we thrive on it. Exeter aren't the whipping boys, we're not easy to beat. Give your man some credit, he's certainly watched more of Exeter than you have. The table doesn't lie.

Not meant as any disrespect to Exeter at all. I'm just disappointed at that kind of comment from our coach; not good enough.

Posted by: CharlieG (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2012 11:45

Exeter were above us in the AP BEFORE yesterday, so a win for us would have counted as a good one.

Until yesterday, we were one of only 2 AP teams who had a 100% record against them.

As has been pointed out, if their fly-half had not had a 'bad day at the office' they would have been out of sight by half time.

I don't think we can complain too much about the result. What else should Toby go on about? Blaming the ref? the RFU? opposition for cheating? - there's plently of others out there who would do that?

Date: 01 April, 2012 11:51

Charlie, if the coach is going in with the attitude that we'll do well to get a point, then what chance does he have of motivating the squad to win?

Posted by: olospo (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2012 12:01

Exeter have been the better team this season, their position in the table says so. In the end we were lucky to come away with a losing bonus point.

Let's finish the season on a high, re-group and push for a successful season next year.

Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2012 12:13

Quote:
SamB_LI
Charlie, if the coach is going in with the attitude that we'll do well to get a point, then what chance does he have of motivating the squad to win?

This 100%.

Posted by: CharlieG (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2012 13:03

Toby was talking AFTER the match.

Where does "the coach is going in with the attitude that we'll do well to get a point" come from? Didn't see that commented on before KO.

Date: 01 April, 2012 13:37

' If you said that you could get a losing bonus point away to Exeter you wouldn't have been too disappointed.'

In Toby's words.

Date: 01 April, 2012 13:39

I don't think it acceptable to beat those lower in the table and lose to those above. Me thinks at one point we were second, what happened then!

Posted by: x_ile (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2012 14:37

peejay

Where does 'losing to those below and those above' rate in the scheme of things?

Date: 01 April, 2012 17:22

Ha, looking forward to a win - when and where is anyone's guess!

Posted by: MadMonk (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2012 18:10

Ok, they would have to beat Glaws at Castle Grim, and the Fez boys when they come knocking, but the Budgies are only 14 points behind with 15 points on offer.

The fat lady may be clearing her throat, but she hasn't opened her mouth yet.

Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2012 06:33

Exeter are a better performing team and the table doesn't lie. Our collection of players are performing below par and not gelling well as a unit. I don't think this has been helping by losing core leaders midway thru the season to new clubs in 2012/13.

What Booth says reflects the state of mind of the club and Smith needs to inject some umph into it...

Posted by: paulm1953 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2012 08:45

So that means that we have had two seasons were players announcing they were leaving (and some injuries) have resulted in us losing 10 games in a row both seasons.

I would regard this as a poor performance at an annual appraisal. I think the club needs to look at gelling a team together like Exeter and if that means replacing certain members of the coaching staff then make this change in the summer.

Come on you Irish

Paul

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net