rugbyunion
Latest News:

10 Must be top priority
Jamo (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 18:27
Sorry but the display by Jarvis today was probably the worst I've seen from a 10 for as long as I can remember. We've lost Bowden, if we don't get our act together and get a decent man in, be him English, Irish or Cling On we haven't got a prayer!
Hogson gave a lesson in how to do it today and we should take note.

Re: 10 Must be top priority
CraicHead (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 18:29
Ditto

LLL (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 18:39
Quote:
CraicHead
Ditto

Ditto two.

Can we get a proper 10, stick by him, and give him a damned good run of starts at 10 please?

SirBurger (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 18:45
Jarvis was fine. I have seen far worse performances in years gone by from Irish 10s. It should be a priority and I hope we get someone with real class (although seems unlikely without HC Rugby), but singling Jarvis out seems a bit harsh.

CraicHead (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 19:03
Jarvis against Racing Metro away was very good, today I thought very poor, aimless kicking. Thought Allinson had a poor game as well. Looking forward to next season, onwards and upwards!

PeterS (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 19:04
Jarvis was far from fine. Both he and Allinson seemed to forget that when you kick to the opposition it's supposed to put them in an uncomfortable place ie they have to take a tackle along with the ball or be forced into a hasty decision to kick or pass with no reward. If I had a fiver for every time their kicks just set up a counter attack I could probably now pay for my next year's season ticket.

With unthinking basic errors like that I would imagine that Brian Smith was thinking that a lot of re-education in the basic principles will be needed before we can seriously compete not just in the Heineken but in the day to day business of the Premiership.

MikeL (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 19:11
It wasn't a great display but not game losingly terrible, unless you've got a 10 in mind who can secure lineout ball, stop mauls and win rucks then it's not the top priority.

Sm1ler (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 19:12
Jarvis was clearly given a game plan and he did what he was told. I would prefer to blame the management who clearly told him to play for territory no matter what.

I find the negative comments against Allinson surprising. Every game i've seen this season he tries to keep the team going forward and is a very positive influence.

MontrealExile (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 19:20
Quote:
Sm1ler

I find the negative comments against Allinson surprising. Every game i've seen this season he tries to keep the team going forward and is a very positive influence.

Quite right.....

ME

RUGBY PLAYERS DO IT WITH LEATHER BALLS

Tjobbe (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 19:51
Spoke to Brian earlier, think if I heard right that we're announcing a 10 tomorrow, and then were looking for another one. We're also looking for someone to replace faan and mapasua!

Said something about getting this season out the way, then focussing on next season and getting rid of the tyre kickers.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:00
Who at 10 though? I cannot think of a single guy who is coming out of contract? Hoping to be pleasantly surprised though - doubt it will be announced tomorrow being a Sunday however.

Jamo (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:07
Quote:
MontrealExile
Quote:
Sm1ler

Quite right.....

Agree entirely.

PV (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:09
I think it will be Nicky Robinson or Gareth Steenson. Neither of whom get me that excited...

Shawshank (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:18
Robinson is a left footed Jarvis and also can't tackle.

Steenson is a solid player but hardly someone to set the pulse racing.

If they are Smith's idea of top class players then we really are deep in the schoite...

PV (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:21
Agreed. I am happy to be proven wrong, but if I were a betting man I reckon it will be one of those two if not both.

PV (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:22
Agreed. I am happy to be proven wrong, but if I were a betting man I reckon it will be one of those two if not both.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:23
I hope you are wrong PV

Come on you Irish

Paul

GSB111 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:29
Jarvis was dire today. The Sarries backs must have thought it was Christmas every time we kicked it back down their throats in acres of space!

wattshisname (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:38
Jarvis is a Championship 10 - Bowden not much better and will do well to get a game at Leicester. Not sure who we can lure to LI but we will struggle if we don't.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:41
Why on earth wasn't Steve playing at 10 today?

He is faster, a much better kicker, and has a better distribution game than Jarvis.

He is also the future of the team, and it is pretty depressing that the coaches are not giving this youngster a proper run at 10 for the rest of the season

SirBurger (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:47
Steenson is under contract until 2013. Robinson also, although guess that could change with Wasps financial situation.

faramir (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 20:48
Why oh why wasn't Jarvis pulled off (?) His inaccurate kicking put us under pressure, time and time again.

But we were weak in other areas too. Whatever happened to the lineout?

I won't go on............

Nice wolfhound puppy though!

FatherJack (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 21:27
Quote:
SirBurger
Jarvis was fine. I have seen far worse performances in years gone by from Irish 10s. It should be a priority and I hope we get someone with real class (although seems unlikely without HC Rugby), but singling Jarvis out seems a bit harsh.

I'm guessing Jarvis is your son, I can't think of any other reason why you would defend his lack lustre performance.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 21:32
Quote:
FatherJack
Quote:
SirBurger

I'm guessing Jarvis is your son, I can't think of any other reason why you would defend his lack lustre performance.

Not my son and don't think he is good enough to take this team forward, but thought he did an ok job and cannot be blamed for trying to implement what was clearly the coaches' gameplan.

Jamo (IP Logged)
14 April, 2012 21:36
And why the feck didn't we have the nous to get Jones to bridge the gap for a couple of seasons? Hail to Smith the answer to our prayers!

swindonirish (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 13:49
Olly Barkley was at Reading station yesterday.(Sm100)

PeteH (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 15:47
Quote:
SirBurger
Jarvis was fine.
I'm surprised one of the hardworking forwards didn't have a stern word with him (Sm122) when at one point they fought for turnover ball only to see him kick the thing straight to Strettle who didn't have to move one foot in any direction to catch the ball!(Sm49)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2012 16:39 by PeteH.

huggy (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 16:26
PeteH, that comment just about sums the game up!

Very frustrating afternoon again for me.(Sm136)

Caimh (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 17:09
Quote:
swindonirish
Olly Barkley was at Reading station yesterday.(Sm100)

He'd be great but is under contract for another year!

Loobs (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 17:15
If Smith has been involved in recruiting a 10, I would expect a SH incomer.

Someone unheard of a la Mapasua.

Sam_R43 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 17:46
I saw both Charlie Hodgson and Owen Farrell at the Madjeski yesterday...

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2012 22:01
It'll not be Steenson or Robinson.

PV (IP Logged)
16 April, 2012 06:05
I hope you're right. Btw, Mapusua was a well established player in Super rugby for the Highlanders. Flutey was more pulled from obscurity.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:18
Still no word?

PV (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:42
Rangi Chase - i have a hunch, no more than that, young, English qualified - we took Franze under Smith. Now i would be very happy to sign him.

exilejoe1 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:48
The Rangi Chase that is contracted to Castleford tigers until 2015?

The Rangi Chase who is accused of breaking a players jaw this weekend.

[
">www.youtube.com
]

that rangi chase?

is he any good?

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:48
He's contracted to Castleford until the end of the 2015 season.

exilejoe1 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:52
[
">www.youtube.com
]

i must admit i hadn't heard of him. This shows some nice touches.

stnick88 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:59
rather have Jarvis

and that is saying something

Griff (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 16:07
Has there been a successful league convert to go straight-in at fly-half ?

Jamo (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 16:19
Quote:
stnick88
rather have Jarvis
and that is saying something

In which case the answer surely has to be a big resounding "No".

Caimh (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 16:33
Ceri Sweeney from what I can gather is also available.

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 16:45
I think we should go for Christian Lealiifano just for Ciamh's benefit on matchdays!

Ecksile (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 18:10
London Irish RFC wish to announce that with immediate effect that there are no longer any no. 10's available and as such the club will play without a specific no. 10 for next season.

However, Billy Cox from Cirencester Old Boys has indicated that he is available and will cover most Saturday matches and has suggested that his mate John should be alright for the Sunday games once they let him out.

In order to eradicate any possible problems with coverage for Friday matches, a draw will be held along the lines of the Cityjet competition from last season.

Caimh will announce the Stand, Row & Seat number and the lucky winner will be rewarded with his (her) no. 10 shirt for the forthcoming Friday on the day.

Unfortunately due to "Health & Safety" issues, male winners should be no older than 65, females 60 65, both sexes to have height in proportion to beer belly overall weight.

Note that entrants may be tested for their ability to kick the ball wildly up the field of play and ensure that an opposition player manages to be standing in the precise spot the ball is due to land in.

Jack (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 18:11
Chase looks quality..

PeteH (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 18:25
Quote:
Ecksile
London Irish RFC wish to announce that with immediate effect that there are no longer any no. 10's available and as such the club will play without a specific no. 10 for next season.
However, Billy Cox from Cirencester Old Boys has indicated that he is available and will cover most Saturday matches and has suggested that his mate John should be alright for the Sunday games once they let him out.

In order to eradicate any possible problems with coverage for Friday matches, a draw will be held along the lines of the Cityjet competition from last season.

Caimh will announce the Stand, Row & Seat number and the lucky winner will be rewarded with his (her) no. 10 shirt for the forthcoming Friday on the day.

Unfortunately due to "Health & Safety" issues, male winners should be no older than 65, females 60 65, both sexes to have height in proportion to beer belly overall weight.

Note that entrants may be tested for their ability to kick the ball wildly up the field of play and ensure that an opposition player manages to be standing in the precise spot the ball is due to land in.

(Sm22)
This piece brightened up a very disappointing day!
(Sm22)

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 18:25
Quote:

(Sm22) What about Thursday nights in the Amlin!!

wattshisname (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 19:23
Ecksile - who told you that Billy Cox was available? I thought we were all sworn to secrecy.

PV (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 19:26
Guys seriously, who is out there then? If not Rangi, who? Shane, ffs!

SirBurger (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 19:39
Lealifano would be great and I think available - pretty sure he is still out of contract.

Either way, I have come to the conclusion that we are never going to win anything with a conservative fly half who kicks the corners. We don't have the pack for it. What we do have is a mobile pack, which, with the right coaching, could be really effective. Geraghty and/or Lealifano would be perfect.

MadMonk (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 20:33
I nominate the winner of the weelie bin challenge for our next 10

PJ (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 20:47
There's a certain Mr Warwick languishing somewhere in Paris???

His salary demands may, however, be prohibitive!!!

Jack (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 20:49
ill step up ? im 18? 6 foot? SMIFFY IM HERE IF YOU NEED ME

(Sm150)(Sm22)

assetfin (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 21:05
As a Welshman, i think Ceri Sweeney can more than abley assist London Irish during these troubled times.

SamB_LI (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 21:25
Ceri Sweeney...oh dear oh dear.

So good that Cardiff tried two useless Aussies as their 10, Norton Knight and Parks.

Didn't Sweeney play for Pontypridd against us in the Euro Cup several moons ago? That awful game in that awful stadium in Oxford that we lost.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 21:42
Yea, no thanks to Sweeney. I don't think it will get that bad for us thankfully. More worried about Tindall to be honest.

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 07:09
It shouldn't be Sweeney based on Brain's comments. Similarly Warwick is Australian qualified only (sevens) and is in contract for another year I believe.

Edit: And Lealifano signed a 2 year extension at Brumbies today, so its not him either

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2012 08:40 by Lazyboy346.

N17 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 09:24
From the NH, Paddy Jackson (Ulster and Ireland U20) would tick a lot of boxes.... no idea if he would be interested or contracted.

Jamo (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 16:00
And still no word! Another false dawn?

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 16:36
Can anyone 100% say they heard an announcement promised this week.

I asked Brian "was the 10 he said he was signing actually signed" and he said that would be done on Monday.... He certainly never said to us it would be announced at any point this week.

Remember that some announcements are known for a long time before they are official.... I think most of us were aware Delon was off to Toulon and that there was a deal in place long before the announcement on Tuesday but would be very surprised if the contract was actually signed on Tuesday (John A any comment....(Sm151).)

I guess the "Warwick" experience will make the club reluctant to announce if there is any prospect of anything going wrong and if we are looking at someone whose contract needs buying out then that would further create a delay.

We would all love daily updates from the club on this but that would make it much harder to secure anyone so we have to wait and hope.

exilejoe1 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 18:50
or if we are signing a player that has unfinished business this season then their fans might like to know that their mind is still on the job...or not know that it isn't

if you get me...

KeithJ (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 19:48
Irish qualified? Surprised no one has mentioned Jeremy Staunton, now 3rd choce at Tigers.

I'll get my coat

KeithJ (IP Logged)
18 April, 2012 19:53
On a more sensible note, if Irish qualified, what about one of the Ians, Keatley, Madigan or Humphries. They may have contracts but if we need a 10 so badly, (which we obviously do), perhaps we are prepared to buy out a contact.

oliverc7 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 13:01
I am not a Irish supporter, but was just wondering your guys thoughts on this.. You had a 10 at the club a couple of years ago in the academy who was released. Christian Lewis Pratt Wales U20 and now signed on a professional contract with England 7's ! now he was nowhere near the perfect 10 at that time.. but showed glimpses at Leeds last year and for the Saints that he could have been good and Leeds were very disappointed when he left them to concentrate just on 7's! was just wondering now 3/4 years on that it could have been a mistake?

a good couple of years with some help from Catty maybe would have meant that at this time where your looking for a 10 he could of possibly been your man? bit of a long shot as you have no idea how he would have developed etc? just wondering?

gwilie (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 13:18
Why was steven Shingler signed by the club,he came as a 10 but has never been given a run of games to prove himself,he has never let us down and for a first season as a pro has played more than 20 games,give the boy a run to prove himself

SirBurger (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 13:28
SS has looked a lot better at 12 in my opinion.

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 13:39
Shingler seemed more comfortable at 12 alongside a speedy 13 (JJ/Ansbro). I could also see us using him at 15 (alongside Anthony and Topsy as cover) as our second fullback behind Tom.

I don't think he's going to get the run of games at ten that he needs in the first team, although I would expect him to play there for the A team and pre season.

Wouldn't complain to Shane coming back, particularly if he feels he needs to prove himself.

exilejoe1 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2012 14:30
Quote:
gwilie
Why was steven Shingler signed by the club,he came as a 10 but has never been given a run of games to prove himself,he has never let us down and for a first season as a pro has played more than 20 games,give the boy a run to prove himself

Why was he signed? Because he's a good player. He's played more than 20 games this season don't you know.

Seriously, smith has gone on record saying that shingles is a work in progress at 10. He isn't the real deal yet and is a good 12 while we find out if he will ever be the real deal. We need a 10 that is top 6 prem quality now...not in 2 years time.

Does that answer your question as to why he was signed?

Patronising much...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net