Latest News:
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Aland Quinlan on what it's like when you stop playing
Posted by: Caimh (IP Logged)
Date: 18 April, 2012 14:17

Here's a link to a very interesting article by Alan Quinlan about the income and short career span of a rugby player.

[www.irishtimes.com]

Puts a good perspective on why so many players will go for the big pay day in France.

Re: Aland Quinlan on what it's like when you stop playing
Posted by: antoinog (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2012 07:43

Very interesting, thanks Caimh.

Great to read such passion for his team:
"If Id been playing for a French team when Munster won it, Id never have forgiven myself."

Have been impressed with him since he's taken up broadcasting - thought he was good at the RWC on ITV, relatively impartial when commentating on the Ireland games.

Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2012 08:09

A really brilliant article Caimh. Sounds like a good guy. Loved his words on Ashley Young!

Posted by: Cill Dara (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2012 09:14

I don't have much sympathy for the argument of a short career, (unless cut short).

The average wage for the UK in 2011 was 26,200, (note that there are many people not anyway near this number).

Taking the numbers given in the article, the average wage for a non-international player is 125,000. This is 4.8 times the average wage.

If you take a ten year career, this would give 48 years at the average wage for normal people.

If you add the 48 years, this would easily see the player into his retirement, without having to work ever again.

If you add the contacts made during the players professional career, (i.e. Bob Casey), the employment situation is not as dire as made out.

Obviously this scenario does not cover all players and careers, but I hope you can see my point.

Prisco stripe Hibernico

Posted by: hooray Henley (IP Logged)
Date: 20 April, 2012 20:00

You also forget about the fct that you pay tax at the higher rate for 10 years instead of the lower rate for 48 years

Posted by: Cill Dara (IP Logged)
Date: 21 April, 2012 07:00

OK, here are the numbers with tax an NI taken into account.

The average wage for the UK in 2011 was 26,200, (20,002.20 take home).

Taking the numbers given in the article, the average wage for a non-international player is 125,000, (77,470.40 take home).

This is 3.87 times the average wage.

If you take a ten year career, this would give 38 years at the average wage for normal people.

If you add the 38 years to say an age of 30 for a retiring player, this would easily see the player into his retirement, without having to work ever again.

I also have not taken into account compound interest, inflation, creative accounting or any other factor that would change the actual monetary numbers. I just used a comparative method.

Prisco stripe Hibernico

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net