rugbyunion
Latest News:

Jon Fisher
LI Lynn (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:01
Just seen on Twitter that Tom and Corbs have said that Jon Fisher has signed for Irish,

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley-flag/smiley-22668.png

Re: Jon Fisher
CooperMan (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:16
Fantastic! The man is a Saint! Now for John Stone and Thomas Moore to complete the line up!

Coops
TGFLW, (pour blessings on their name!)

stnick88 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:20
great.......

waltham (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:25
How's he been doing at Bedford?

I always found his leaving us a bit strange after having been "bigged-up" by LI for so long and gaining England age/Saxons selections.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:27
Interesting/weird considering he is another 6. BS must really rate him.

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:35
He was great before the injury and looked fairly good against Welsh for Bedford but can't believe we need another back row.

Where is the number 3 and full back cover (Anthony is very young!)

LI Lynn (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:42
Don't suppose he was very expensive though, maybe just needed some time away abd some games under his belt, was highly thought of at Irish but got some bad injuries at crucial times, welcome back

SirBurger (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:44
Maybe a clever ploy to ensure Corbs and Homer renew?!

thepedro (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:49
I can't see the messages on their twitter accounts... does seem a little strange he'd re-sign, when we've got plenty of cover at 6...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2012 15:50 by thepedro.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:51
I can't see them either!

AlecW (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 15:51
Fish was also playing 2nd row at Bedford - so perhaps a replacement "back 5" forward to replace Kieran Roche / Gary Johnson?

LI Lynn (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 16:03
Tweets seem to have disappeared!!

SirBurger (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 16:05
Quote:
LI Lynn
Tweets seem to have disappeared!!

How peculiar! Interested to see what happens with this one.

GMC_LI (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 16:30
Draw your own conclusions from this.

I spoke to Jon after the Bedford v London Welsh game on Sunday and asked him about the 'Rugby Paper' article mentioning Irish and Bath were interested in his services for next season.

He was non-commital on that to me verbally, possibly because he was stood with another Bedford player, but failed to recognise that I'd overheard him giving an earlier interview post-match where he said he was grateful for the opportunity Bedford had given him and had enjoyed the experience with them that season.

Also, and I didn't ask him this, he reckoned that Brian Smith was the right coach for London Irish. He didn't mention the Bath coach at all, which you might expect him to if he was going there. The fact that the Bath coach had released him from London Irish may be coincidental.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/05/2012 16:33 by GMC_LI.

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 17:50
Hope he is coming back as he gives us better depth in the back five. He was good when he played for us, although I feel Gibson has already surpassed him as a back rower.

We are light on actual second row players this year with only Evans, Garvey, Skivington and Sandford (and Low from the academy) so hopefully Fisher/Sinclair/Smith will play mainly as secondary locks. Similarly, we released two academy back rows so this could be Brian rounding out the squad (4 Locks, 3 Lock/Flankers, 6 Back Rowers).

Shawshank (IP Logged)
18 May, 2012 18:21
Please say that Charlie Gower isn't also going to be re-signed...(Sm141)

'Big-Al' (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 09:20

AlecW (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 09:45
The quote that Fish is "thrilled" is (for once), not anodyne media speak - he is genuinely absolutely chuffed to bits...!

Good to have him back!

(Sm152)

harlowexile (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 09:45
Any news on who is going to coach this reunion?...

tykez (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 10:16

LI Lynn (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 10:35
I see the tweets have resurfaced!
Welcome back Jon

RodB (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 10:42
Its very nice to have him back, but its seeming a bit crowded in that back row now; where's our nasty, gnarly No.3 and what happended to "the short list of two" for the forwards / head coach ??

thepedro (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 10:50
Yeah agreed Rod, am a big fan on Fish but as well as having a lot of players for the back 5, we're also not going to lose many guys there to internationals, which is normally while you'd get a so much depth...

Was hoping to have heard something on the new coach by now, hope it's not a sign one or both of them have turned us down confused smiley

NigelN (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 12:10
If the coach decision was only made on Friday it may take a few days to get contracts signed. It won't be announced till the ink is dry.

That said, I'll be happier when it's announced.

Babs O (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 12:17
given our recored over the last few seasons regarding back row injuries/players unavailable, having another player in that area is a good thing IMHO. Welcome back Fish

TryBlues (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 12:31
As a Blues fan I am sad to see him go, but he has looked a Premiership player all season (winning players player of the year as well) and can't blame him for returning back to Irish.

He has mainly played at 8 or 6 for us.

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 13:04
We need cover at Full back as well as at least one more front row (a 3 ideally) as we don't have enough at present on the books for an Amlin squad (9 and need 10)

SamB_LI (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 13:13
Fisher had huge amounts of promise, but never really pushed on and fulfilled that. It seems that the drop down a level may have helped him to kick on. He's certainly a better cover option than Siggery, Alexander et al.

We do seem to have a tendancy to collect number 6s though. Gibson (he's not a 7!), Smith, Sinclair, Danaher now Fisher.

GMC_LI (IP Logged)
22 May, 2012 21:48
A future replacement for Declan Danaher once he retires, mark my words.

Mark Mapletoft was all for having Jon at 'quins when he was still with Irish, masking it behind examples of young English players who fared well at U/20 not being given the chance at first team level in an article in the 'Rugby Paper'.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net