Transfer Rumours
Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
05 February, 2017 07:34
A few rumours about signings for next year in the Rugby Paper today:

Lorenzo Cittadini (TH)
Adam Ashley-Cooper (13)
Gordon Reid (LH)
Saia faingaa (HK)

Nothing ground breaking, as all of those, except Cittadini, had already been doing the rounds. Also just worded that we've 'spoken to' and 'are looking at', rather than suggesting any are done deals. Assume Cittadini would be instead of du Plessis if it happened, as I can't see us signing two veteran tightheads.

Re: Transfer Rumours
SirBurger (IP Logged)
05 February, 2017 09:21
Quote:
Margin_Walker
A few rumours about signings for next year in the Rugby Paper today:
Lorenzo Cittadini (TH)
Adam Ashley-Cooper (13)
Gordon Reid (LH)
Saia faingaa (HK)

Nothing ground breaking, as all of those, except Cittadini, had already been doing the rounds. Also just worded that we've 'spoken to' and 'are looking at', rather than suggesting any are done deals. Assume Cittadini would be instead of du Plessis if it happened, as I can't see us signing two veteran tightheads.

Unless Franks is off...

05 February, 2017 09:28
Well true, but given he stuck around last year, I'd be surprised if he left for the last year of his contract. Could happen though. I guess Palframan's injury issues have got to be a concern too at this point.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
05 February, 2017 09:42
Looks like we're targeting experienced players with international experience then. Happy enough with those signings. We should be set at prop now but think we still need a couple of big ball carriers in the back row particularly as we're likely to loose the likes if Gilsenan, Trayfoot etc

In the backs I think we could still do with one or two quality additions alongside AAC

SirBurger (IP Logged)
05 February, 2017 09:59
Quote:
Hugo.LI
Looks like we're targeting experienced players with international experience then. Happy enough with those signings. We should be set at prop now but think we still need a couple of big ball carriers in the back row particularly as we're likely to loose the likes if Gilsenan, Trayfoot etc
In the backs I think we could still do with one or two quality additions alongside AAC

Back row has to be the focus if the rest of the rumours are true. Treviranus is still our only really effective ball carrier and he will be another year older next season. The gain line is so tough to cross these days that you just can't win games without at least two (but preferably three) players who can win that battle.

06 February, 2017 07:41
AAC sounds like he may be Japan bound

[www.smh.com.au]

So that's one of those looking unlikely.

DaveandEl (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 12:57
Our prayers for a international ball carrying no.8 may be granted very soon!
He was in the Princess Suite after the game wearing L I gear and plays for Tonga.
Hopefully await announcement from the club

TheRealBigEasy (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 13:08
Chris the huffy bear coming out of retirement?

DMGM (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 13:15
Apparently saracens prop Petrus du Plessis will be joining us next season

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 13:16
Only people i can think of are Fonua (who starts regularly for falcons) or Tevita Koloamatangi from the chiefs.

MattM (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 13:18
Quote:
Jamiepep1
Only people i can think of are Fonua (who starts regularly for falcons) or Tevita Koloamatangi from the chiefs.

I was assuming it must be the latter...

DaveandEl (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 13:47
Our new man played in the winning Tonga team that beat Italy recently

Paul_D (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 13:54
That'll be Tevita Koloamatangi then smiling smiley

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 13:59
suppose it could be Valentino Mapapalangi but he's more of a lock/flanker utility.

Tevita Koloamatangi would be a very useful player and a bit of a coup really.

RodB (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 14:07
Another tongue twister for Caimh 🤔

06 February, 2017 14:15
Quote:
the Tasman Makos site
Tasman's injury-plagued loose forward, Tevita Koloamatangi, wasn't re-signed by the Chiefs.

Florida (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 14:29
Injury plagued? He got concussed in pre-season and then had a back injury which was sorted by August last year. I'd hardly call that injury plagued. Would you? I've had look for anything else as I'm sure you have TRBE but can't find anything, could you show some more examples you've found where he's spent significant time on the sidelines through injury?

06 February, 2017 14:35
It's a quote Florida

Florida (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 14:38
No way! You posted it though, so I assume you would have had a quick look to see just how injury plagued he was. Would have taken you all of two minutes, but I guess that's not your style, you prefer to just go with whatever negative nonsense you can find.

06 February, 2017 15:21
Please accept my most profound apologies.

Florida (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 15:24
Quote:
TheRealBigEasy
Please accept my most profound apologies.

Do they come with chocolates? I don't think I can accept them without. Unless they come with a Guinness. Or maybe an IPA. Or a rum.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
06 February, 2017 17:04
Quote:
Paul_D
That'll be Tevita Koloamatangi then smiling smiley

Personally don't know much about it him so would love to be informed. If he's been spotted hear in our kit, is he available to play this season?

HMRH (IP Logged)
08 February, 2017 11:44
Anyone know whether he is available this season? Could do with some extra oomph

MattM (IP Logged)
08 February, 2017 13:06
As I understand it he's unsigned so I'd guess there's no reason he can't join straight away.

DaveandEl (IP Logged)
09 February, 2017 16:48
Yes he is available to play this season once he's match fit and up to speed with our style of play.
He and family already moved over here.
Await official club announcement in next few days.

HMRH (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 13:32
Reid confirmed as leaving Glasgow although no club given

14 February, 2017 14:33
Well, see here, we're not getting Ford or Burns

Jonny_C (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 17:11
Did anyone see this Sunday's TRP rumour that Bug Jum is joining us from Scarabs?

Griff (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 17:17
Do you mean Jim Hamilton who's been rumoured to join us along with Du Plessis for months?

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 17:36
Agree with Griff, big Jim signing for us is old news. TRP said it's pending us getting promoted.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 19:43
Surely Hamilton is well past his best.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 19:57
Hamilton is 34 so not a young lad anymore. Not sure he can do a job for us.

14 February, 2017 20:05
Well he's doing a decent job for Sarries at the moment. He's likely got another good year in him imo.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 20:33
Yep sarries fans have been raving about him this season so I would definitly take him. Interestingly on twittter josh Strauss has been linked with us apparently. Wouldn't read to much into it at the moment but would be a top signing

14 February, 2017 20:40
Yeah, noticed that. I've not seen it anywhere other than that one tweet though. One to file under 'believe it when I see it'. So not holding my breath. Awesome on the (remote) off chance it were true

Finno (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 20:53
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Well he's doing a decent job for Sarries at the moment. He's likely got another good year in him imo.

Agree completely!!

Bazzo (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 21:52
Surely Hamilton and Du Plessis are BV's choices and who would question the venerable Doc?

olw131 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 22:18
Word on the street is that Gordon Reid is coming to us - if the tweets of many and the postings of the Glasgow supporters' forum is anything to go by...

If so fantastic signing, can only assume we are throwing a ton of cash at him. Nice.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
14 February, 2017 23:32
I was impressed with Reid's contribution off the bench in the Scotland game last weekend. Would be a great signing for us if true.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 10:11
They would be two assets to the squad, don't love the idea of losing them each six nations if they were to come. Although Reid may lose his spot when the injured guys like willem nel get fit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2017 10:17 by jimbo800.

MattM (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 10:12
Quote:
Margin_Walker

Saw him play for Sarries against Bath before Christmas and he was awesome. He partnered Itoje and was far and away the better player on the day, Maro was grafting like crazy but Hamilton made sure he was in the right place when it mattered and played a smart game.

HMRH (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 11:15
AAC interesting Leinster apparently

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 11:42
Leinster love signing ex internationals for a season before they retire, they've done well out of it. It's easier for them, they only play the big names when they have European rugby, they rest then for the league games.

Caimh (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 11:52
Leinster have the current starting centre partnership for Ireland. AAC seems an unlikely signing IMO.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 12:27
He's spent a lot of time at wing and full back I'd imagine

15 February, 2017 12:38
Not sure he's really got the top end speed for the back three these days. We'll see though.

HMRH (IP Logged)
15 February, 2017 13:10
Replace Kirchner

RodB (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 18:18
Just had an email from Nick K, confirming that Koloamatangi is with us until the end of the season. No indication of what happens next season.

jekyll (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 19:33
if he fits in and we get promoted then a possible signing but as per the Championships merry go round, we cant promise anything until we actually get there

norg2072 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 19:45
It says on Wikipedia that Koloamatangi plays flanker for London Irish 😀

waltham (IP Logged)
16 February, 2017 20:57
A bit more on AAC here: Us or them???.maybe???

SirBurger (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 10:13
[www.couriermail.com.au]

Three Aussies coming next season. Bottom of the article.

Paul_D (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 10:16
Quote:
SirBurger

Quote:
You've reached a PREMIUM article To read this article, subscribe today and get unrestricted access on all your devices

sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2017 10:16 by Paul_D.

HMRH (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 10:23
Was going to subscribe to see but you agree to let them contact you using all the details you provide so I'll wait to find out

olw131 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 10:26
Quote:
SirBurger
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/rugby/wallabies-star-scott-higginbotham-set-to-plead-not-guilty-to-police-assault-charges/news-story/e27aabb62afab4bfc4d0292c24d4f402

Can't get past the paywall, but have just read on Twitter that it's Saia Fainga'a (hooker), Jake Schatz (back row) and Ben Meehan (9). I'm sure they're good players but I hope they can actually improve the squad as opposed to just fill space. We have loads of young 9s and hookers already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2017 10:37 by olw131.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 10:39
I originally found the article via a google search. That gets around the paywall. Having said that, no more detail than provided above. I think they all improve the squad and would also be likely starters, so I am happy.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 11:34
Centres, we need centres...!(Sm141)

waltham (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 11:49
Bit more info here: Rugby Rumours

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 11:49
J Williams
Mulchrone
Fowlie
Hearn
Tiks

Can all cover centre, but i agree it does look a bit light for a Prem campaign. Would expect at least 1 signing there unless management deem M Williams and Neal ready to step up and fill in when needed.

Another winger would be good too as I suspect Ojo will focus more on his coaching next season.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 12:42
Jamie - of those you have listed our best centre Johnny would get into most AP squads but realistically I can't see any of the others getting anywhere near (apart from Bristol's)...

Tiks may make some squads at winger, but he ain't no centre.

Finno (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 12:57
Quote:
Shawshank
Jamie - of those you have listed our best centre Johnny would get into most AP squads but realistically I can't see any of the others getting anywhere near (apart from Bristol's)...
Tiks may make some squads at winger, but he ain't no centre.

I agree, if we make it up next season, I don't think we have the quality and experience at centre to survive with the 'big boys'. Yes, we've got great potential but it's not there yet.

New,experienced, and beefy(in my view ) centres required for next season please!!! Assuming we go up, of course!

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 13:20
Sadly i do agree that we lack real quality in midfield. The guys we have are solid but lack a bit in the top flight.

I wonder if Ben Teo has a break clause should Worcs go down. Very wishful thinking I know.

AAC would be ideal too should that come off.

jekyll (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 16:43
If Teo wants to carry on playing for England, he will have a break clause!!!!!

Is there anyone else we fancy from Bristol/Worcester?

ardoyneirish (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 17:01
Woodward from Bristol and Heem and Penell from warriors

olw131 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 17:13
Now this is left-field. RugbyInsideLine on Twitter have "been told Toby Booth will return to London Irish next season".

Blarney (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 10:18
Shankers is spot on about our lack of quality in the centres.

I would also put our other priorities as:

Hooker - someone to compete/take over from Paice. None of our back ups have impressed.

Some big, ball carrying forwards - something we have lacked for years. I know we've had the Hoff and Trev but having more than one on the field would help.

Centres - as above, a quality attacking 13 to partner Williams

Fullback/winger - someone who poses a running threat

If we have signed Fai'inga and AAC then that's 2 of those covered.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 10:33
From what I've seen of the hookers, Porecki has been decent this season and have heard good things about Kouris from the academy but as has been said we need another hooker and fainga'a can certainly do a job

From what I've seen of schatz, he's not a massive ball carrier but has a massive work rate and has been a good player for the reds but not sure he adds something that we don't already have

Outside centre is certainly a position we must strengthen in. Hearn is not good enough, Mulchrone is a better 12 IMO and Fowlie is too inconsistent. If Williams had a quality 13 outside him then I expect his game will raise another notch as well. Also agree about adding another back 3 player.

The scrum half is an interesting one. Don't know much about him so for all I know he could be a great player however surely we don't need him? Steele, Mckibbin, Murphy and Brand from the academy are coming along nicely so this surprised me a bit. Surely won't help our EQP too unless a couple of them are English qualified

18 February, 2017 10:56
I'd be surprised if one or both of Meehan or Schatz didn't have an English gran tucked away somewhere.

Meehan signing if true could perhaps mean that McKibbin or Murphy are off at the end of the season. Neither contracted at present as far as I'm aware. I guess everyone is also assuming Allinson is off.

Interestingly Meehan has also played club rugby at 10. Fai'inga is definitely a signing we need. Quality player with a good few years left in him.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 15:34
Quote:
Hugo.LI
From what I've seen of the hookers, Porecki has been decent this season and have heard good things about Kouris from the academy but as has been said we need another hooker and fainga'a can certainly do a job
From what I've seen of schatz, he's not a massive ball carrier but has a massive work rate and has been a good player for the reds but not sure he adds something that we don't already have

Outside centre is certainly a position we must strengthen in. Hearn is not good enough, Mulchrone is a better 12 IMO and Fowlie is too inconsistent. If Williams had a quality 13 outside him then I expect his game will raise another notch as well. Also agree about adding another back 3 player.

The scrum half is an interesting one. Don't know much about him so for all I know he could be a great player however surely we don't need him? Steele, Mckibbin, Murphy and Brand from the academy are coming along nicely so this surprised me a bit. Surely won't help our EQP too unless a couple of them are English qualified

We also have Darren allinson on our books who I recon we will offload.

olw131 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 16:04
Just been watching Meehan on YouTube and he looks a very tidy player. Fast & accurate passing. You should be able to watch him when the Rebels play the Blues in Super Rugby on Thurs, probably at some ungodly hour...

paddym (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 21:02
Quote:
Hugo.LI

Connor Murphy heading for Rotherham on loan I heard today at Hazelwood. For some reason they don't seem to rate him at Irish,

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 23:50
Rotheram next season or for the remainder of this one? If it's next one, it's hardly surprising, a few games in the Irish British cup isn't enough for a possible Prem call up. A year playing regular rugby will be good for him.

Lazyboy346 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 09:04
A loan spell this season would be a good way to keep him match ready as I see him as third choice currently. I'd have him as fourth choice next season in seniors after we replace Allinson.

Ross Neal is still on loan to Scottish, wonder if he'll play against us next time out? Hoping that is just for the regular season as he's been good for us and it would be a shame for him to leave now he's had some success.

Caimh (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 12:16
As far as I'm aware a loan player can not play against their own club.

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 12:22
Lets hope he doesnt come back and tell us anything he shouldnt winking smiley

old hillbilly (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 20:08
Quote:
paddym
Quote:
Hugo.LI

Connor Murphy heading for Rotherham on loan I heard today at Hazelwood. For some reason they don't seem to rate him at Irish,

So why did'nt they let him play for the Wild Geese then?

tatthecraic2 (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 10:57
Just seen a little snippet on Planet Rugby about Ian Madigan wanting an early release from UBB.

Article suggests that a number of "ambitious" England clubs are keen.

if it was one of the top 4 then surely they would have called it "top clubs".

seems to denote maybe a Worcester / Newcastle / Bristol (and dare I say) London Irish? trying to get his signature?

[www.planetrugby.com]

anyone heard any rumours?

SirBurger (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 11:02
Worcester I reckon. Good player, but not sure where he would fit in for us.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 11:03
Probably Sale?

I'd say that 10 is about the only position where we have the required AP strength in depth in Marshall,Tommy, TBC and Tonksy.

MattM (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 11:06
Austin Healey was suggesting that he would be a good pick up for Sale, I was thinking it would be a nice pickup for us though.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 11:23
Meehan the new 9 has also performed well at 10 in the past apparently.

HMRH (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 11:29
Madigan to Saints apparently although there was a rumour about Pat lambie to Saints

paddym (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 15:38
Quote:
old hillbilly
Quote:
paddym
Quote:
Hugo.LI

So why did'nt they let him play for the Wild Geese then?

You tell me! Seems to be no interest in Wild Geese from pro club. Especially as Geese seem to be carrying quite a few injuries.

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 15:46
If he goes to Roth, they'll be paying him his wages (or % of). If he plays for the Geese, somewhere along the lines, LI will end up paying him.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 15:49
Or perhaps Rotherham approached Irish and Conor decided he fancied a chance at showing his talents at a higher level than the Geese.

Xprop (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 20:17
Not sure it's a good for a professional to play in an amateur side. I don't think the opponents would be happy with that.

TAFKA hH (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 11:02
The speculation in Ireland is that Madigan is likely to go to Stains. But apparently Brizz, Wuss, and LI are still in the mix. Also, a move back to Ireland hasn't been ruled out. Connacht being the most likely Irish destination as Madigan wants to be the first choice 10 wherever he goes. The Stains thing definitely is not a done deal at the moment

HMRH (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 11:16
Not sure we need Madigan? We have Marshall at 10 so whe wouldn't leave him on the bench if Madigan played and vice Versa I imagine.

paddym (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 11:17
Quote:
Xprop
Not sure it's a good for a professional to play in an amateur side. I don't think the opponents would be happy with that.

Wild Geese probably only team in Nat 2 without dual registered or loan players from a pro club.

jekyll (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 16:08
I fancy signing Hurrel from Bristol when they go down to increase our centre cover. He has proved he can cut it at premiership level, good at both attack and defense.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 16:17
Hurrell or Woodward would be fantastic from Bristol. Trouble is lots of other clubs will be after them. Can hurrell play 13?

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 16:18
Bristol, if they were to go down, won't be looking to offload the likes of hurrel. The board and the players know full well they'll come straight back up this time. They are a different team and will have a much better coaching set up. If a relegated team are letting players go, why would we want to go anywhere near them, they couldn't keep Bristol up, they won't keep us up. I'd love to have symons back, he'd fit in to the new dynamic perfectly, he was two here two years too early.

mulledwinemarie (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 18:04
I am sure I read there will be no relegation in the PREMIERSHIP this year as there are only 11 teams with LONDON WELSH FOLDING..............SO BRISTOL ARE SAFE......lucky blighters

MWM

GLORY GLORY LONDON IRISH - and loving it......

well I used to ...............

Paul_D (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 18:11
Quote:
mulledwinemarie
I am sure I read there will be no relegation in the PREMIERSHIP this year as there are only 11 teams with LONDON WELSH FOLDING..............SO BRISTOL ARE SAFE......lucky blighters

Nope, there's definitely relegation from the Premiership this season. There's no relegation from the Championship as Welsh went bust, so Richmond are safe. 1 team will come up next season to make the championship 12 teams again.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 20:32
Quote:
Paul_D
Quote:
mulledwinemarie

Nope, there's definitely relegation from the Premiership this season. There's no relegation from the Championship as Welsh went bust, so Richmond are safe. 1 team will come up next season to make the championship 12 teams again.

Richmond are still in a fight with Rotherham, not certain they will finish bottom, so just a little bit premature to make that statement.

Paul_D (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 21:09
Quote:
Bazzo

Richmond are still in a fight with Rotherham, not certain they will finish bottom, so just a little bit premature to make that statement.

What do you mean by premature? Richmond are safe. Rotherham are safe. Everyone is safe. There's no relegation this season!

Bazzo (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 23:21
Quote:
Paul_D
Quote:
Bazzo

What do you mean by premature? Richmond are safe. Rotherham are safe. Everyone is safe. There's no relegation this season!

Absolutely, everyone is safe. So why just point out that due to London Welsh going bust "so Richmond are safe" you did not mention everyone, you just mentioned Richmond.

You were of course insinuating that they were going to finish bottom, which they may well do. I was merely pointing out that they are still in a fight to not be the bottom team.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 23:21

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2017 23:25 by Bazzo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

London Irish Poll

What do you think of this poll?

See results > Submit >>