#Party

Re: we are in the playoffs
TheRealBigEasy (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 07:09
I'm getting so excited.

Hoopsy (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 18:38
Bris fan here ...Well done and thoroughly deserved. It's a terrible experience but good luck to you. Swapping places by the look of it !

mulledwinemarie (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 09:52
if you have time - all questions answered here

play-off dates 29th APRIL

1 v 4

2 v 3

FINAL 6th MAY over TWO LEGS - NO I TEAM GETS to pick if first leg is home or away

[en.wikipedia.org]

MWM

GLORY GLORY LONDON IRISH - and loving it......

well I used to ...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2017 09:53 by mulledwinemarie.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 10:03
Umm. They certainly seem determined to give the team that wins the league as much opportunity to come unstuck as possible.

The 3rd and 4th finishing teams may have nowhere near the points that the 1st and 2nd accumulated, but only need to string together 4 good matches (or at least two good ones and two not so bad one).

Basically, it stinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2017 10:55 by bigbitty.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 10:42
Is the semi final 2 legs as well or is it one?

Irish 'Stoker (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 10:48
I have it as semi final (2 legs) Apr 29th and 6th May and final (2 legs) week commencing 13th and 20th May with the higher place team picking which way round the legs are placed (home or away first). But I may be wrong

AlecW (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 10:49
Quote from the Wiki page Marie referenced earlier:

Semi-finals
The semi-finals follow a 1 v 4, 2 v 3 system – with the games being played over two-legs and the higher placed team choosing which leg they play at home. The matches are due to be played on 29 April 2017 and 6 May 2017.

Final
The final is played over two legs – with the higher placed team deciding who plays at home in the first leg.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 10:52
Wiki agrees with you, but doesn't give the finals dates.

tomthepom (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 20:54
Dates of two-legged finals have previously been midweek, but this year I'm pretty sure they've switched to 2nd & 3rd weekend of May. Sky will decide whether Fri/Sat/Sun, higher-ranked finalist has choice of venue order

Derby Irish Fan (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 21:48
Also you have to take into account if Reading have any midweek games or whats their home game schedule

TAFKA hH (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 10:56
How do you work out that we are in the playoffs?

We are on 67 points and Pirates, in 5th place are on 39 with 8 games to play so they can get a maximum of 40 more points making 79 - 12 more than we currently have... Or am I being thick?

mulledwinemarie (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 11:03
ok here is the fixture list

[www.englandrugby.com]

and here is the points table

[www.englandrugby.com]

I make that 6 games left to play -

MWM

GLORY GLORY LONDON IRISH - and loving it......

well I used to ...............

Alphacat (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 11:10
Quote:
TAFKA hH
How do you work out that we are in the playoffs?
We are on 67 points and Pirates, in 5th place are on 39 with 8 games to play so they can get a maximum of 40 more points making 79 - 12 more than we currently have... Or am I being thick?

Pirates have six games left because of the London Welsh expulsion

Paul_D (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 11:18
If Pirates get a BP win in all their remaining 6 fixtures and we score nothing, they would end up on 69 points. We currently have 67.

However, a 4 pointer for us against Scottish on Saturday would do the deed. We'd have 71 and with 25 points remaining they couldn't catch us.

I think!

Griff (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 11:20
We're on 67, so it's only Pirates (5th and 39 points) and above that can catch us.

For Pirates to pass us they have to win all their remaining 6 games. They play Doncaster which would mean that Donny couldn't catch us if Pirates beat them - well they could draw level with us, so I suppose it's not mathematically certain yet.

Your mistake is assuming that we're in a league of 12 - Welsh have gone so there are only 11 teams and 20 games.

WillR (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 11:39
Quote:
Griff
We're on 67, so it's only Pirates (5th and 39 points) and above that can catch us.
For Pirates to pass us they have to win all their remaining 6 games. They play Doncaster which would mean that Donny couldn't catch us if Pirates beat them - well they could draw level with us, so I suppose it's not mathematically certain yet.

Your mistake is assuming that we're in a league of 12 - Welsh have gone so there are only 11 teams and 20 games.

But you also need to take into account that Ealing in 4th place with 5 games to go on 41 points can only get to 66 points - so we have already qualified for the playoffs.

LLL (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 11:47
I was getting confused as the LI build up commentary today for the LS match indicates if we win that then we could qualify. Either way, can't wait for the match :-)

Griff (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 11:52
Quote:
WillR
But you also need to take into account that Ealing in 4th place with 5 games to go on 41 points can only get to 66 points - so we have already qualified for the playoffs.

Thanks Will, I knew I'd worked it out that we'd already qualified (since I'd said as much in the match report) but couldn't remember the detail.

TAFKA hH (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 12:45
Sorry.. Forgot about LW.... OK I'll say it myself.... I was being thick!!!!

MickeyMouse (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 13:48
Well, I'm thoroughly confused by this thread...

Despriarno (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 20:30
Quote:
MickeyMouse

Blah blah blah lots of maths blah blah blah some speculation blah blah blah recheck the maths blah blah blah
We are in the prayoffs

waltham (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 07:58
Quote:
Despriarno
Quote:
MickeyMouse

Blah blah blah lots of maths blah blah blah some speculation blah blah blah recheck the maths blah blah blah
We are in the prayoffs

Are we??
(Sm159)

Despriarno (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 14:24
Quote:
waltham
Quote:
Despriarno
Quote:
MickeyMouse

We are in the prayoffs

Are we??
(Sm159)

Let me recheck... ;-)

tomthepom (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 19:57
LI qualified for the play-offs when the final whistle blew in CP/LS game on Feb 5

23 February, 2017 12:38
Touch wood and all that.
Let's say that the finals are on Saturday 13th and Saturday 20th of May. Let's say that we are the highest ranked team and we decide to play away first and home on the second leg of the final. Do I need to book a hotel in Reading on the 20th of May? Do I need to book the following Monday off just in case I am still drunk?
Asking for a friend... (Sm159)

Griff (IP Logged)
23 February, 2017 12:50
The play-offs have been played on a Wednesday historically so, unless you're really planning to party, I suspect not...

RFU fixture announcement

Quote:
Play off semi-final Leg 1 April 29

Play off semi-final Leg 2 May 6

Greene King IPA Championship Final Leg 1 w/c May 13

Greene King IPA Championship Final Leg 2 w/c May 20

I don't quite follow the announcement, though. "w/c" means "week commencing" doesn't it? Who starts a week on a Saturday?

23 February, 2017 12:55
Unless it means weekend commencing...

Griff (IP Logged)
23 February, 2017 13:01
Every other fixture list I've ever read lists weekend dates from either the Thursday or the Friday. I guess it might be enforcing Sat/Sun - which would be excellent - but it'd be a change in policy.

Either way I'd wait until we qualified for them before getting too excited...

23 February, 2017 13:21
I asked because I was about to book some concert tickets for May 20th and then I thought I might be busy elsewhere that day.

Stevie J (IP Logged)
23 February, 2017 13:24
As Griff points out, due to Sky Sports the play-off finals typically play on Wednesday nights and Bob also mentioned this when the LISC was wondering about laying on some coaches to the Away leg.

"Well done, is better than well said."
Benjamin Franklin, 1706 - 1790

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2017 14:45
Does anyone know of or indeed remember , any good bars in NYC to watch London Irish?

I'm on holiday over there from 17th to 22nd of May and will likely miss one of the play-off legs if i can't find anywhere.

I vaguely remember the supporters gathered in an Irish bar in the financial district on the day of the sarries game but can't for the life of me remember it. I must admit i was a little worse for wear having had a few drinks in brooklyn the night previous and am quoted as saying "I fear my head will detach from my body if I move"

RodB (IP Logged)
23 February, 2017 15:20
[beckettsny.com] is where we and the players met after the game

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2017 16:31
That's the one!! brilliant thanks.

RodB (IP Logged)
23 February, 2017 16:56
No worries. Have a pint for me.

waltham (IP Logged)
25 February, 2017 17:51
So, I suppose we are now guaranteed 1st or 2nd place...(smileys hiding behind the couch not available)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

London Irish Poll

What do you think of this poll?

See results > Submit >>