rugbyunion
Latest News:

The Double - should we not go for it!!
Danny-Boy (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 17:52
Should we not go out and try and when the league and B&I Cup, or should we just go for the league????????

Re: The Double - should we not go for it!!
HK Phooey (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 18:01
I would like to think we can When both competitions

Paul_D (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 18:19
I think the plan IS to when both competitions!

bigbitty (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 18:29
And why not??????????????????

When someone starts a party you just gotta join in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 19:23
We obviously want to win both competitions but we are still going to pick youngsters for B&I games although would like to see more experienced players mixed in now we are in knock out stages.

Elrington
Porecki
Hoskins
Sexton
Llyod
Gilsenan
Koloamatangi
Nayalo

Steele
Tonks
Lewington
M.Williams
Heard
Fowlie
Ransom

Gleave
Hobbs-Awoyemi
Chawatama
Mcnally
Narraway
Brand
Atkins

Greenboots (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 19:34
Well now we have play offs sorted (not sure about top 2 not checked) why not go for the cup obviously next round is a tough game but we have a rare chance to do the double. That powergen cup final was too long ago for my liking

Aiden1011 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 20:00
Definitely think we should! Will be a good experience for the youngsters in the B&I cup

RodB (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 20:01
Any word on northcote green?

Aiden1011 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 20:05
Quote:
RodB
Any word on northcote green?

Last time they released an injury list he was on the long term with smallbone so guessing he won't be back soon.....may be completely wrong though

dooj106 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 20:27
IMHO there is no question we should go out to win both comps. I know Nick wants to play the younger guys in the B&I cup, but I think his hand might be forced a little bit with next week being a six nations weekend, so Cokanasiga, Parton, Brand and maybe TBC could well be unavailable.

I have no problem with the likes of Matt Williams and Jacob Atkins playing, but would like to see a core of so called 1st team players playing along with players needing game time eg. Robson (not played in a month), Lewington (needs game time after injury), Gilsenan (needs game time and arguably first team quality anyway), Koloamatangi, Chawatawa, McNally (to further integrate the newbies into the club)

Bazzo (IP Logged)
02 March, 2017 23:18
The b and i is a distraction. Would not risk any of our play off team. Play the kids, but not sure if they will be good enough. Not sure if any financial incentives for winning it. But who honestly cares about the b and i cup, its all about winning the playoffs.

FrTed (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 08:17
There has been so much talk on this board about how LI are a "Premiership team".

If correct surely there can be no excuse for such a club not to clean up in the league and win the B&I Cup? Or we may as well give up.

IMHO, nevertheless, we are a way off from being a Premiership Club, at least one that can seriously expect to compete for the play offs and not be concerned about relegation, that further signings would be needed over the summer.

Consequently, let the juniors play in the B&I Cup. If they get there then good for them. LI bank balance needs only one thing. Promotion.

MattM (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 08:27
I see no reason that a mix of youth players and guys on the fringes of the first team (Sexton, Gilsenan) can't push on.
It's not priority though so I wouldn't want too see to many first team regulars fielded (exceptions being the likes of Lewi getting a run out to get back up to speed).

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 08:42
I disagree, I think we should go for it, rather than not go for it.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 08:51
Well, of course we'll go for it, but not to the point where it risks our Championship run in. Would expect to continue to see teams mixing academy players and with a larger number of squad players. Having one of Franks, Paice, Cowan, Marshall etc injure themselves playing B&I rugby before the play offs would be very poor management.

We are hindered slightly by timing as the B&I game next weekend against YC clashes with the U20 6N, so Parton, Cokanasiga, TBC and possibly Brand will likely be unavailable.

HMRH (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 09:04
I think we may see TBC in B&I game and also agree that we should use the match to bring players on and give game time to those not making the ChampXV and players like Kolomatangi

Not sure Leeds will play their first XV either although they have less depth than us. Rumour that Ford injured and they've bought in a new fly half and a prop. If we win this weekend Leeds will focus 100% on league as thatvwould be 3 losses on the bounce for them

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 09:24
When I spoke to BBC the week before last he said that we want to win it, but will still be using the kids, as well as players coming back from injury or needing game time.

I'm presuming for the QF that Rory, Theo, Joe and Tom will be with England under 20s so I am imagining that we will see a team along the lines of....

Atkins
Ojo
Hearn
M.Williams
Ransom/Lewington
Tonks
Allinson

Hobbs-Awoyemi
Porecki
Hoskins
Sexton
Sinclair
Narraway
Gilsenan
Nayalo

which in all honesty unless Yorkshire put out their best side should be more than enough to get the job done.

dooj106 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 09:37
Quote:
Margin_Walker
Well, of course we'll go for it, but not to the point where it risks our Championship run in. Would expect to continue to see teams mixing academy players and with a larger number of squad players. Having one of Franks, Paice, Cowan, Marshall etc injure themselves playing B&I rugby before the play offs would be very poor management.

IMHO if we took that approach then the key players would not play for the next 6 weeks (we are guaranteed a top 2 finish so why risk it)? Thus it would not be poor management if one of our key players got injured in B&I just unfortunate.

Also, what's not to say that those key players don't get injured this weekend and miss the play-offs anyway. After all rugby is a contact sport and injuries happen.

Agreed though, the championship has to come first, but there is no reason we cannot put out strong teams in both comps and go for it.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 09:48
Quote:
dooj106
Quote:
Margin_Walker

IMHO if we took that approach then the key players would not play for the next 6 weeks (we are guaranteed a top 2 finish so why risk it)? Thus it would not be poor management if one of our key players got injured in B&I just unfortunate.

Also, what's not to say that those key players don't get injured this weekend and miss the play-offs anyway. After all rugby is a contact sport and injuries happen.

Agreed though, the championship has to come first, but there is no reason we cannot put out strong teams in both comps and go for it.

Depends on your definition of strong really. The team Ozzy posted above would be a very competitive B&I team even in the knockout stages.

I'm also not sure what parachuting your best players into the B&I team at this late stage says to the players that have worked hard to get there in the first place. Important imo that everyone in the senior squad is actively invested in something for as long as possible to keep up overall morale/unity.

At the end of the day it's the B&I. Would be a nice little bonus, but it's not something worth risking key players on. I would rather they were involved in the 5 remaining Championship games between now and mid April and pushed to finish the regular season unbeaten.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 11:13
I would love to see us win some silverware this season. I was fortunate to attend the PowerGen final but that was 16 years ago. Winning something should/ will help to increase our home crowds.

Come on you Irish

Paul

Foxy! (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 19:00
I had the pleasure of sitting next to Max at the recent Ealing away game. He hoped to be back to help if required for the playoffs was my memory. Fair to say I'd had a couple of 2 pinters from the club bar at that point so may have been earlier

waltham (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 20:31
Go for a win...every time. It lifts the club, players and supporters and we have a rotation policy that'll help.
Beware the strict B&I cup player/squad rules though: this limits selection quite a bit.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
03 March, 2017 21:12
Quote:
Foxy!
I had the pleasure of sitting next to Max at the recent Ealing away game. He hoped to be back to help if required for the playoffs was my memory. Fair to say I'd had a couple of 2 pinters from the club bar at that point so may have been earlier

Would be great news if true as Max has been excellent whenever I've seen him. Would love to see a back row of Northcote-green Cowan and trev

Bazzo (IP Logged)
04 March, 2017 01:02
Max is good..... Coman is better

SirBurger (IP Logged)
04 March, 2017 01:07
Quote:
Bazzo
Max is good..... Coman is better

Coman has been very good but Max is about 7 years younger. Definitely a better prospect in the long run. Think he could be a club stalwart for years to come.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
04 March, 2017 07:39
Surely Max is a 7 and Mike is deffo a 6?

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2017 08:13
The issue for me having seen today's team isn't going for it or not, whoever we put out will go for it on the day.....

I would like to see rotation reducing so that the guys get used to playing with each other week in week out.....

Not expecting it to happen as this weeks team is very strong but would ideally want say 5 or 6 changes at most?

TSW22 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2017 10:45
What's the point in entering a competition if you don't want to win it?! Pointless argument.

HMRH (IP Logged)
04 March, 2017 12:59
Kendo in Rugby World suggests rotation was to keep fresh and peak for play offs - suggests fair few changes for next weekend and why not? We have squad to do it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net