rugbyunion
Latest News:

Bristol forum
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 17:43
I recommend reading the post "what if Irish fail?" On the Bristol forum. Some interesting comments worth thinking about.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

Re: Bristol forum
jimbo800 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 17:50
How do you get on to other clubs forums?

NMB (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 17:55
I just googled rugby network Bristol. I think we had a similar thread around this time last season

bigbitty (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 17:55
See that little dropdown box next to the blue rugbynetwork.net ad at the top of the page? Click there.

Fascinating to read Bris supporters want us to win, so that the don't have to compete with us next season!

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 17:56
Quote:
jimbo800
How do you get on to other clubs forums?

Click on network navigation (at the top) look for Bristol under premiership, click on Bristol and look for the thread "what if irish fail?". Hope this helps.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 18:16
Quote:
bigbitty
See that little dropdown box next to the blue rugbynetwork.net ad at the top of the page? Click there.
Fascinating to read Bris supporters want us to win, so that the don't have to compete with us next season!

Surely just common sense. I wanted them to go up last season for the same reason.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 18:47
The signings show a change in player mentality (can't argue with it). Madigan is confirmed for what I've been told is a ridiculous amount of money, more than France. He's not concerned about them going down. He claimed originally to want to come home to win his place back in the Ireland squad, money won the day. Same as Lam, he loved Ireland but knew he needed to provide for the family, cash in early in case anything happened to him (Collins, lomu etc). With the championship loop hole, the new signings will all be coming for next season for the first massive pay cheque. Fair play to Bristol, they are in the position to use the system to their advantage. When they come back up again they'll be a force to play against

HMRH (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 19:09
Goes back to my point about needing to spend

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 19:25
Well first we need to get promoted and if we do next season is then crucial, if we can guarantee ourselves a premiership place then players will come

Caimh (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 20:00
Quote:
HMRH

Two words - London Welsh.

Every club has to spend within their means. We'd all love to splash wads of cash but we first need to find someone with tonnes of it going spare. Otherwise, we have to run the club sensibly and be as smart as we can with what we have got.

waltham (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 20:51
Quote:
Caimh
Quote:
HMRH

Every club has to spend within their means. We'd all love to splash wads of cash but we first need to find someone with tonnes of it going spare. Otherwise, we have to run the club sensibly and be as smart as we can with what we have got.

Absolutely right....and the (serious) question is .."..where exactly might the additional mega-wealthy "investor" come from?.."

It's so easy to talk about splashing the cash...I doubt any/many of us would chuck our life savings into an LI pot...

RodB (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 20:53
If we were to be promoted, how much would we get from the new Deal that premier rugby announced at the beginning of this season?

Bazzo (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 23:22
Quote:
Caimh
Quote:
HMRH

Wise words o white haired one !

Doubt if we do actually live within our means though.

Hard to compete when clubs like Bristol keep raising the bar. What exactly would be the big attraction that would draw players to Reading? Do we pay Bristol wages?

MattM (IP Logged)
07 March, 2017 08:23
I think it's not just about throwing money around. Bristol do that, Gloucester are about to go into a mega-budget situation too where they will start buying big strong lads to go for a French style team.

We need to be canny about our signings. We managed to get Marshall, who would have been able to go to a Prem team if he wanted. We kept Franks... there's obviously something about this team that appeals to players.

We've also got Venter, one of the most respected minds in Rugby, working with out players... that alone will attract some individuals.

I'd rather look to a team like Exeter as a model to work toward than keep comparing ourselves to Bristol!

AlecW (IP Logged)
07 March, 2017 08:30
FYI, I hear that the Altrad deal for Gloucester is likely to be blocked, for conflict-of-interest reasons...

Sam_R43 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2017 11:06
Funnily enough, wrote an article yesterday here about the play-off system being scrapped and thinking about the best way forward for the Championship. It really needs something doing to it, the status quo isn't helping develop the teams in the competition.

HMRH (IP Logged)
07 March, 2017 18:59
Not my point - I don't advocate spending a la Welsh for very obvious reasons. We need to be competitive and spend as much as we can on the right players for LI. I think we're short of Prem quality right now but I don't know who we have lined up.

Of course we should live within our means but to survive then thrive we are going to have pay as close to the salary cap as we can

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
07 March, 2017 19:16
Unfortunately money is becoming ever bigger in sport and will be a massive factor for a player moving clubs, and at the moment we can't compete money wise with a lot of the premiership sides.

However we've seen with Exeter that you don't have to splash the cash on loads of quality star names. Obviously it would be exciting but often the little gems you might find in a lower league team prove a far better signing.

jimbo800 (IP Logged)
07 March, 2017 19:46
Exeter were an exception to the rule but even in that short space of time since they came up, the game has changed so much in expenditure and management. Squads are having to be bigger to combat the injury problems clubs are having, more money has made England more competitive with France, to stay competitive with the likes of sarries and Leicester, clubs like wasps have upped their game significantly and are leading the way. I feel it will end up like the football league, top teams will stay the same while the rest just fight to avoid the drop.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
07 March, 2017 20:54
While I wouldn't want to take away from what exeter have achieved, at the time they were promoted there was a much lower salary cap and no marquee players. Premiership squads have much more quality throughout now which has been the biggest thing for us.

Johnswlondon (IP Logged)
09 March, 2017 09:20
As I have said previously Exeter are a fantastically run and coached club and have been for a number of years - they own their ground and the rugby day experience is great even if not to anyone's taste.
We have been appallingly run over the last few years. Have had poor coaches and haven't had funds to invest in constantly improving the playing squad.
Our comparison in the short term will be Newcastle and Worcester as they are closest to us in terms of money and the probability of being involved in a relegation battle (as we almost certainly will be next year if we get promoted)
For those that wanted a scrapping of the salary cap this is the result - the rich get richer, the poor need to find a way of increasing revenues - in our case that's moving away from Reading and a failed income stream (I know many (well the few that go) wont like that phrase) to Brentford and hopefully greater crowds and the ability generate alternative income by owning part of the infra structure

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

London Irish Poll

What do you think of this poll?

See results > Submit >>