rugbyunion
Latest News:

Wot if ?
Steelman (IP Logged)
08 March, 2017 15:50
Wot happens if Ealing or Doncaster win the play offs. Do they get time to cut a deal,with an acceptable stadia,or are they immediately denied their place. And say Li are beaten in the semis and Yorks make the final who gets promotion?

Re: Wot if ?
SirBurger (IP Logged)
08 March, 2017 15:59
If team that wins the play off doesn't meet the criteria (subject to an appeal etc) then there will be no relegation.

Griff (IP Logged)
08 March, 2017 15:59
You usually have to state your plan for the premiership before the play-offs. You have to have plans in-place and the RFU/PRL have to check them out. It's usually known in-advance who would and wouldn't take the place in the AP if they won.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
08 March, 2017 16:03
Think Doncaster had an approved plan in place last season iirc, so assume they would again. Ealing are a bit of an unknown, but seem fairly ambitious, so we'll see (or not, if they don't make the playoffs)

Steelman (IP Logged)
08 March, 2017 16:33
So if MR Bristol and MR Trailfinders were good mates,some tasty Bris players could arrive at Ealing for the playoffs ,if I may be a bit mischievous here🎣

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
08 March, 2017 16:55
Ealing could be more incentivised than most. If they win the play offs and refuse promotion, they will get the parachute payment that would have gone to the relegated team.

This is a significant amount of money so a club like Ealing could easily offer the players a £20K win bonus each.

Heaf (IP Logged)
08 March, 2017 20:24
Quote:
Steelman
So if MR Bristol and MR Trailfinders were good mates,some tasty Bris players could arrive at Ealing for the playoffs ,if I may be a bit mischievous here🎣

There must be some rules about 'ringers' surely? Otherwise let's get Ben to call a few of his mates ...

Despriarno (IP Logged)
08 March, 2017 20:34
If LI win the playoffs do we know what our plan is .... ;-)

John H (IP Logged)
09 March, 2017 07:36
As we have stated that we are leaving the Madejski, Reading will evict us and as Brentford new stadium is not ready yet we will have to move back to Hazlewood. As Hazlewood does not meet the criteria, we will not be allowed to go up. It is not all bad news as we will get the parachute payment. Because of high-spending Bristol we will not go up next year but we should be ok for the following year. I always try to be optimistic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2017 14:29 by John H.

CharlieG (IP Logged)
09 March, 2017 08:51
Quote:
John H
As we have stated that we are leaving the Madejski, Reading will evict us and as Brentford new stadium is not ready yet we will have to move back to Hazlewood. As Hazlewood does not meet the criteria, we will not be allowed to go up.

But there are loads of options:

Ground-share in Oxford - worked well for Welsh
Ground-share in High Wycombe - ditto for Wasps
Ground-share with Quins - worked well last time
Ground-share with Swindon Town FC, making it even easier for players to move to LI West

and probably many others I haven't even thought about.

KeithJ (IP Logged)
09 March, 2017 13:14
How about Ealing win the play-offs and announce that they are to ground share with Brentford FC.

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2017 13:39
Quote:
KeithJ
How about Ealing win the play-offs and announce that they are to ground share with Brentford FC.

Good call! Ealing is closer to Kilburn to get the true "Irish" support
(Sm100)

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2017 15:55
Quote:
Heaf
Quote:
Steelman

There must be some rules about 'ringers' surely? Otherwise let's get Ben to call a few of his mates ...

The deadline for loan signings was last week.

Mark W-J (IP Logged)
09 March, 2017 16:59
Quote:
DrV'sHairyCraic
If they win the play offs and refuse promotion, they will get the parachute payment that would have gone to the relegated team.

This piece of info gets quoted a lot, but I'm not sure that it's actually true. The only example of a team being denied promotion was Rotherham in 2002, and they were given financial compensation for that. But I'm pretty sure that there's nothing actually set out in writing or contractual terms between Premier Rugby (who pay the parachute money) and the Championship clubs to say that the money would be redistributed in the event of no relegation.

Florida (IP Logged)
09 March, 2017 21:31
Wot if wishes were fishes? Bloody ridiculous thread.

tomthepom (IP Logged)
09 March, 2017 22:46
Quote:
Florida
Wot if wishes were fishes? Bloody ridiculous thread.

I'd say it was your post that was ridiculous, rather than the thread. The original query seems a perfectly legitimate one to me, and most people have done their best to answer it and/or contribute…

Doncaster definitely had a plan 12 months ago which I imagine is still in place if needed. Not sure about Ealing. If Jersey Reds or Cornish Pirates got into top 4, they would only be there for the silverware - no Prem options well not this year anyway. London Scottish were top 4 last season & therefore couldn't go up.

I anticipate there'd be an announcement about which clubs can be promoted around Easter w/e.

It's correct that if a team that cannot be promoted are Champions, there would be no promotion/relegation. Some cynics might say that would be a fitting way in which to consign the much-derided PO system to the scrap-heap, but I wouldn't expect such sentiment to go down well with supporters of the team that finishes top by some distance.

Royalsfan (IP Logged)
10 March, 2017 11:57
Quote:
CharlieG
Quote:
John H
As we have stated that we are leaving the Madejski, Reading will evict us and as Brentford new stadium is not ready yet we will have to move back to Hazlewood. As Hazlewood does not meet the criteria, we will not be allowed to go up.

Ground-share with Swindon Town FC, making it even easier for players to move to LI West

How about a bit more optimism ?
- use Twickenham for home games
- ground share with Chelsea
- use the Red Bulls stadium for home games

You'd need to take Wycombe off the list as it's already overused, seriously doubt the pitch could take more use.

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
10 March, 2017 13:33
Quote:
Royalsfan

Any of these would be better than, and easier to get to, fecking Brentford (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
10 March, 2017 14:53
Bris supporter in peace.

Every team who wants promotion to the AP must be audited each season by the RFU well before the play-offs. The audit includes not only ground criteria etc but a viable business plan to sustain AP rugby (not sure what happened in LW's case!). The RFU announces who has/hasn't passed the audit.

It will be grievously unfair if you don't win promotion. Us Bris supporters know how nail-biting the whole play-off process is. Best of luck and hopefully will see you up there in the 18/19 season.

10 March, 2017 22:50
Quote:
Royalsfan
Quote:
CharlieG
Quote:
John H

How about a bit more optimism ?

You'd need to take Wycombe off the list as it's already overused, seriously doubt the pitch could take more use.

Griffin Park?

Queen's Park Rangers?

Crazy Harry (IP Logged)
10 March, 2017 23:24
Hello,

Bris fan in peace -thank you for your kind words.

i would love to go to Loftus Rd/QPR ground for a season. Its really close to the pitch and loads of pubs nearby. Also High wycombe would be good. Cheaper to park and shuttle bus in than Madjad currently is. Also if there is a lull in the game, its very scenic and loads of wildlife to look at.

Brentford is worse option for me but i accept that that is future.

HonkyTonk (IP Logged)
10 March, 2017 23:39
London Broncos Rugby league share with Ealing. They have stated that if they gain promotion to Super League there are plans in place for the ground to be Super league standard. Not sure if that means Ealing could go up.

tomthepom (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 13:22
Ealing Coach Ben Ward in today's RP saying that his club are not ready for the Prem this year, and so presumably they join Jersey & Pirates as clubs who would only be competing for the silverware, not the promotion, in the POs

Steelman (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 20:06
Quote:
tomthepom
Ealing Coach Ben Ward in today's RP saying that his club are not ready for the Prem this year, and so presumably they join Jersey & Pirates as clubs who would only be competing for the silverware, not the promotion, in the POs

Suppose that makes sense, they don't get large crowds.give it another year,and they can rock up to the Madstad,cut a favourable deal, rebrand as Trailfinders, and tap the Thames Valley market, no Wasps no Irish...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net