rugbyunion
Latest News:

Does anyone know the extent of Johnny Williams' injury
paulm1953 (IP Logged)
10 March, 2017 15:49
Just wondering. As usual the club give the fans the "mushroom treatment". Surely some one knows?

Come on you Irish

Paul

Re: Does anyone know the extent of Johnny Williams' injury
Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 21:39
Out of interest, why do you think we have the right to know?

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

bisach (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 23:15
It's just to stop opposition teams having to plan for him if they don't know that he'll be playing any time soon.

MattM (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 08:11
Quote:
Foggy-Balla

We as fans don't have any right to know, but in most sports as soon as something is known at least an indication is given as to how long the player will be out. LI seem to be against doing this.

I think it's probably a sound tactic to keep the opposition guessing, but people are used to information being relatively freely available.

CharlieG (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 10:06
Is it really a secret from other clubs?

I suspect that professional rugby players from different clubs probably socialize with each other quite a bit - especially in London. Professional rugby is a small world, and players from different clubs will have played together in the past or even have grown up in the same academy, so their social circle must include players from other clubs. It would be no surprise if they met up frequently for a beer or six and chatted about injuries (amongst other things). From there the info would go to clubs medics and conclusions would be drawn.

I'm not talking about detailed plan here (as in the Arscott case), just outline injury info which would be enough to make other clubs far more aware of things than the supporters.

Fursa (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 10:49
Heard yesterday that it is a knee injury and out for the remainder of the season.
No further details

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 20:40
Quote:
Foggy-Balla
find
Sorry for the delay in responding to your comment. I usually find your comments as either funny or informative. This response was neither. I will now ensure that I seek your clearance before raising similar messages.

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
16 March, 2017 07:52
Quote:
paulm1953
Quote:
Foggy-Balla

Sorry for the delay in responding to your comment. I usually find your comments as either funny or informative. This response was neither. I will now ensure that I seek your clearance before raising similar messages.

Sorry if I caused offence, and thanks for the kind bit of your post. I aim to please.

As for my question I didn't say people shouldn't make this kind of post. I'm not a moderator/editor and it's none of my business what goes on here.

However a lot of people seem to feel the Club should keep us up-to-date with all sorts of internal information from the injury list via leavers/joiners to details of the MadStad contract/negotiations on where we will be playing henceforth. I suppose I wondered two things about this kind of question:

1. Could it be seen as (commercially) sensitive and therefore not in the Club's interest to be in the public domain.

2. Could it be with the backroom stripped to the bone there just isn't anyone to keep up a flow of information.

Just a thought or two...

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

KinsaleAnnette (IP Logged)
17 March, 2017 10:15
Quote:
Foggy-Balla
2. Could it be with the backroom stripped to the bone there just isn't anyone to keep up a flow of information.

Probably accurate. I suspect that's the most sensible thing I've read on this forum in a long time.

KinsaleAnnette

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

London Irish Poll

What do you think of this poll?

See results > Submit >>