rugbyunion
Latest News:

Good Lord
Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 14:26
At the match. Even though I sit with the drummers I've been to better attended, & more vocal, meetings of the Society of Friends!

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Re: Good Lord
Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 14:51
Get off the Internet and make some noise then. Lol

bigbitty (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 15:59
37-14 sounds like a good old score. How was the match?

Have you seen the size of Ealing's victory over Scarlets? 84-7 !!!!

dooj106 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 16:21
Really enjoyed the game. We have some talented young players. We weren't great at clearing the breakdown and left a few opportunities on the pitch!! Overall a good performance particular mention to

Atkins- his range of passing very good. Gilesnan as solid as ever. Also impressed by M.Williams and R.Neal

Blarney (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 16:46
Front 5 (Hoskins especially) were impressive. Danny H-A good scrummaging off the bench.

Behind them it was less impressive. Back row second to the breakdown too often.

Half backs' passing and kicking was too poor too often.

Neal looked good, especially in the second half and Ransom put in some good kicks.

Ojo was a liability throughout.

Fortunately, they started to force it and we took advantage in the second half. Defence off set piece and phase play was good - kick chase was appalling.

dooj106 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 17:00
It is difficult to put a decent kick chase when the kicks are miles too long!!! Agreed Allinson pass and kicks not good. Atkins was generally good. Ransom was a bit hit and miss with some of his kicks

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 17:07
Did we win with our reserve team? The score seems pretty emphatic to me

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 18:40
Quote:
Ozzy3213
Get off the Internet and make some noise then. Lol

Posted when there was a break in play, & when we could hear Dodge giving instructions.

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Strom (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 19:06
Quote:
Blarney
Front 5 (Hoskins especially) were impressive.

This ^^.

Glad I went. Second half was pretty enjoyable. Allowances made for rusty squad players and inexperienced youth of course.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 20:13
Yep it was an enjoyable game, agreed about the front 5, was a period of time when Llyod just seemed to steal every single Yorkshire line-out. Thought gilly was good, and was impressed by Neal, Atkins and Williams in the backs. Mention for Brand as well off the bench, played out of position on the wing but he all the skills, his step is unbelievable!

waltham (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 21:32
For a team who pretty much hasn't played together, I thought they were pretty good especially 2nd half when confidence kicked in. The elder statesmen did a good job of keeping things moving in the right direction. Job very well done. Roll in the semis and final.

bisach (IP Logged)
11 March, 2017 23:13
Quote:
Blarney
Front 5 (Hoskins especially) were impressive. Danny H-A good scrummaging off the bench.

Neal looked good, especially in the second half and Ransom put in some good kicks.

Fortunately, they started to force it and we took advantage in the second half. Defence off set piece and phase play was good - kick chase was appalling.

Can you give a reason why you thought that of Topsy's performance? Personally, I couldn't see anything wrong with it at all.

I did say though, during the game, after he scored, that there'd be someone who'd complain about him, just because he didn't touch his try down precisely between the posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2017 23:17 by bisach.

Blarney (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 08:16
Quote:
bisach
Quote:
Blarney

Can you give a reason why you thought that of Topsy's performance? Personally, I couldn't see anything wrong with it at all.

I did say though, during the game, after he scored, that there'd be someone who'd complain about him, just because he didn't touch his try down precisely between the posts.

Did you watch him in defence? Every single time they span the ball out, he made a half-hearted dash up out of the line, then dithered in no-mans land hoping someone would throw him an intercept. It was like he was doing his best to avoid having to make a tackle. Luckily, YC weren't smart enough to pass over him or we would have been in trouble down his wing all game.

He was appalling chasing the kicks, his comedy one-arm flap at one high ball was the absolute pits.

He made one good run in the second half.

As for his attempted kick-pass that landed straight on Arscott...

Most wingers, when they get older and lose their pace, rely on their experience to be in the right place at the right time. Topsy is consistently in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He was a key part of our best ever back three and his try-scoring record can't be denied but I really hope this is his last playing season, he will get shown up badly in the prem.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 09:02
I've seen Topsy do that on match highlights videos - jump the defensive line to try and intercept the pass. It worked a few seasons ago (occasionally)and he got a few ries out of it.

Now I just think it would gift Premiership opposition a try.

bisach (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 11:18
You're right rushing out of the line to cut off the outside could lead to the ball being passed over the outside defender. In the Premiership, the coaches are going to have to think about that. However, it did the jobs yesterday, stopping Carnegie going out wide.

Blarney (IP Logged)
12 March, 2017 12:36
By this point of the season the coaches should be drumming into all of the players the mindset of playing every game like we're in the premiership. We need to cut out the weak defensive play now, not in September.

Babs O (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 08:24
Blarney, of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but to say that Topsy was a liability is just down right sensationalist and I will have to disagree with you. He seemed to be the only player willing to kick chase and he put in a number of tackles and was defensively sound in my opinion. His kick was bad I will give you that but otherwise I thought he had a decent game. I guess unless he scores 4 tries every game or doesn't make any errors, he will always be subject to criticism from someone. Also lets just remind ourselves that we are not in the premiership yet so expecting premiership level performances week in week out is just unrealistic. I guess some people will just never be happy.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 09:43
Does this performance not Highlight the our strength in depth in the squad? our closest rivals rotated their squad and we put them to bed soundly and efficiently, with half an academy side. This can only be a positive thing going into the play-offs.

fatlad76 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 10:41
Quote:
Babs O
Blarney, of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but to say that Topsy was a liability is just down right sensationalist and I will have to disagree with you. He seemed to be the only player willing to kick chase and he put in a number of tackles and was defensively sound in my opinion. His kick was bad I will give you that but otherwise I thought he had a decent game. I guess unless he scores 4 tries every game or doesn't make any errors, he will always be subject to criticism from someone. Also lets just remind ourselves that we are not in the premiership yet so expecting premiership level performances week in week out is just unrealistic. I guess some people will just never be happy.

I was criticised by Blarney in another thread but I am in agreement with Babs.Topsy did have a shocker a couple of weeks ago but this was a decent performance. I saw lots of others fumble, drop balls and not have a perfect game but as far as Topsy is concerned he bounced back! The team made a few mistakes but won well with a side that has not played together much. There is far too much on the site not getting behind the team. We are in two semi-finals and have only lost one game! You can only play what is in front of you and a wining mentality and morale adds greatly to the overall performance.

harristocratt (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 11:14
Surely it was an excellent attendance for a second tier reserve team game with a walk up price of 27 for some seats.

Blarney (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 17:32
Quote:
Babs O
I guess unless he scores 4 tries every game or doesn't make any errors, he will always be subject to criticism from someone... I guess some people will just never be happy.

Now who's being sensationalist? Ridiculous over-simplification of the point here.

I will always give credit when a player plays well (as I already have on this thread). I feel I am justified, however, in criticising the poor performance of a player who is more than experienced enough to not make the mistakes he made today (and has done repeatedly this season). Obviously, not everything he did was bad (as I acknowledged above) but, taken as a whole, his performance was poor.

I do not expect us to perform like a premiership side week in week out. Clearly, if we were capable of that we wouldn't have been relegated in the first place. What I said is that te players and coaches should be treating each game like a premiership game in terms of mindset and effort.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 21:11
[youtu.be]

Match highlights up here, some nice bits of play

Jonny_C (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 22:23
To get back on topic....

According to the Rugby Paper, Jersey had a larger crowd than Irish on Saturday.

jekyll (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 19:55
On the Topsy issue, I just compare our two wings, one is the future and the other is definitely the past

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 21:31
We'll definitely need a couple of back 3 players and an outside centre if we go up next year.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 19:41
Topsy is still a very good player, he has made a few errors this season, but hasn't everyone? He still looks fit and well, he has tons of top flight experience which is going to be needed, no matter where we are. Players like him and Paicey are invaluable within the squad as the club runs through them. One club men. People need to get off his back

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 19:54
I'm sure off the field topsy is a big influence, pretty sure he helps coach the academy part time and will definitely be a big help to the youngsters

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net