rugbyunion
Latest News:

Racing and Stade to merge
HMRH (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 13:34
God forbid that any of the London clubs merge - feel for the history and supporters of the 2 clubs. Pragmatic business sense I'm sure but shows that the unsustainable nature of Crench soendiyhas its first casualty.

Although I guess that's what happened to Richmond and L Scottish with us?

Re: Racing and Stade to merge
DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 14:04
We merged in the beginning of professionalism in the UK and out of necessity for one (us) to survive. And all 3 managed to maintain their amateur identities allowing Richmond & LS to evolve to where they are now.

Both of those clubs are massive in terms of financial muscle. Both will pretty much disappear from the scene. It's one hell of a risk in hoping that the fans will support a merged team. I can see one set of fans at one end & one at the other hating each other as much as the Perpignon factions did.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 14:20
Presumably they will play at the forthcoming new Racing 92 stadium

What will happen to Stade Jean-Bouin, the newish home of Stade Francais?

Maybe not so 'difficult' for the SF fans to go and support the new Team at the new UArena than it would be if it had already been the home for Racing...?

HMRH (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 14:37
D2 football at the "old" stadium

13 March, 2017 15:27
Biarritz and Bayonne at one point three years ago could only survive if they merged but the two towns which are about a mile apart managed to survive and they are both doing ok again. The French bubble had to pop one day, anyway.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 16:12
Bizarre, hope it never happens to any of the premiership clubs. I presume a lot of players are going to lose their jobs

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2017 17:41
BBC report is interesting, there commentary on it says it's bezzare and likens it to Quins and Sarriea merging but if you look at there current league positions a more accurate comparison would be Glaw and Worcs..... Two sides in the bottom half of the league, looking for a way to move up....

Sill not likely to be welcome as next year could be us and Quins who can't get into the champions cup!!

dooj106 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 08:59
Assuming this merger will lead to some players being surplus to requirements, I wonder if we could pick up a few players for next season

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 10:59
Quote:
dooj106
Assuming this merger will lead to some players being surplus to requirements, I wonder if we could pick up a few players for next season

Racing have a Kiwi bloke plays 10 who's meant to be a bit handy (Sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Clontarf (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 11:25
And London Irish have a reputation for rehabilitating southern hemisphere players who problems with the demon drink.

My main concern is what will the merged shirt look like?

RodB (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 12:46
Seemingly they will alternate home games at both stadia....doesn't say they will own both, but not optimal for cost savings. Attempt to keep both sets of fans happy....good luck with that!

jekyll (IP Logged)
14 March, 2017 19:43
There is a handy No8 that might be available so with a No 10, is there anyone else worthy of pulling on a London irish shirt?

Ecksile (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 15:33
And no suprrises, it's all kicking off in France

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
15 March, 2017 16:14
The French on strike???!?!?!?!!?

Whatever next?

Re: Racing and Stade to merge called off!
RodB (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 12:44
[m.bbc.co.uk]
Called off

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net