rugbyunion
Latest News:

Rolling Mauls
Ecksile (IP Logged)
03 April, 2017 15:36
There's a lot I don't understand about rugby and one question I have is how can a rolling maul be successfully stopped by legal means?

Seems like you never see it happen. Defending side bring it down illegally and then just penalty, penalty, yellow card.

Re: Rolling Mauls
DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
03 April, 2017 16:08
You just have to front up and physically stop it from moving forwards. It'll then time out and the scrumy has to free it up.

Or if the player can legally get through to the ball carrier, he can bring that guy to the floor or try to wrap him up.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
03 April, 2017 16:10
I think if the maul is set correctly from the start you have no chance.
If you can sack it before it is set it becomes a ruck or a reformed maul but with less players to precipitate, if you can get a man through the middle (leagally) he may be able to get his mits on it and spoil the maul.
Most of the time it's all a question of how good Sir is.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

x_ile (IP Logged)
03 April, 2017 16:41
Badly formulated law. As LIB says, if the maul is set up 'properly', defence has no chance other than by taking illegal measures.

What I don't understand is why all the ball carrier's team mates in front of him in the maul are not offside. In any other situation, if the ball carrier should run into a team mate, the ref would whistle for offside.

On the other hand, if the mass of players bound together for the maul is deemed to be a single entity (so that no one is offside), then why can the defence not come in to tackle the maul/ball carrier from any direction?

bigbitty (IP Logged)
03 April, 2017 16:56
I've long wondered this. Surely the best way to defend it is not to engage with the maul - hence it cannot exist, and every attacker in front of the ball carrier is therefore either offside or obstructing the defence. The ref should have no choice but to blow for a scrum.

I'd like to get Italian type clearance before we tried it, though.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
03 April, 2017 17:53
Quote:
bigbitty
I've long wondered this. Surely the best way to defend it is not to engage with the maul - hence it cannot exist, and every attacker in front of the ball carrier is therefore either offside or obstructing the defence. The ref should have no choice but to blow for a scrum.
I'd like to get Italian type clearance before we tried it, though.

Standing off the maul happens now. Can only work intermittently though, as the attacking team will usually be alive to it and keep the ball with the man at the front (with his back to the defence) until the defence engage.

Blarney (IP Logged)
03 April, 2017 18:47
The ball has to be kept with man at the front until the opposition is engaged to keep it legal. You occasionally see the team in possession getting pinged for moving to the back too early, thus creating a "flying wedge", withe men in front obstructing the ball carrier.

The best chance of disrupting a maul is to try and slow it up and get a long armed lock to "swim" through the middle and wrap up the ball carrier, winning a scrum for the ball not coming out. Players like Luke Charteris are very good at this. If like to see us use Lloyd more like this on opposition mauls...he's got the height and reach to be effective at it.

Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 13:11
Helps if sir notices when its stopped and calls either "1" or "use it"

This week Sir seemed to be allowing stop and start without any warning or sanction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net