rugbyunion
Latest News:

Do this weekend's results mean that we do not play Jersey again this season?
JamesC (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 22:15
If so extremely positive news as 1 v 4 would not be good prospect.

Re: Do this weekend's results mean that we do not play Jersey again this season?
Jon_r43 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 22:34
Yea even if Jersey pick up 5 points next week they would not have same wins as Donny on the same no of points...

If we beat Doncaster then we will go back to Doncaster 2 weeks later, if we lose and Yorkshire beat Ealing the. It would be Ealing , i think

Re: Do this weekend's results mean that we do not play Jersey again this season?
Strom (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 22:34
AIUI, were Jersey to win a 5 pointer it would put them on level points with Donny. (I assume Donny are less likely to win next week.)

However Donny have a superior points difference, circa 100 on Jersey.

So, Donny will be 4th.

Having said that, I would love to see LI putting out a team full of academy players, injury returnees and squad players as this is a 'dead rubber'.

Putting out our best XV next week would be folly IMHO. The real league unfortunately starts the week after.

(Sm85)

HK Phooey (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 22:35
According to the Doncaster website, they have qualified

Strom (IP Logged)
08 April, 2017 22:38
Quote:
HK Phooey
According to the Doncaster website, they have qualified

Yip. Donny 12 wins. Jersey 10. Unassailable lead. Donny 4th it is.

HMRH (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 07:09
If Doncaster beat us next week and YC beat Ealing then Ealing will finish 4th as they are only 2 points ahead of Doncaster

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 07:49
Quote:
Strom
AIUI, were Jersey to win a 5 pointer it would put them on level points with Donny. (I assume Donny are less likely to win next week.)
However Donny have a superior points difference, circa 100 on Jersey.

So, Donny will be 4th.

Having said that, I would love to see LI putting out a team full of academy players, injury returnees and squad players as this is a 'dead rubber'.

Putting out our best XV next week would be folly IMHO. The real league unfortunately starts the week after.

(Sm85)
Couldn't disagree more. LI should try to play with the same squad from yesterday's and thrash Doncaster. We would then have a major psychological advantage over Doncaster going into the play offs.

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 08:31
Agree, for me it's first choice from here on in wherever possible. Really don't want to lose on the last weekend to another play off team. We've got five games (hopefully!) left of the season, with players who should hopefully be fresh and focused enough to perform.

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 08:34
I'd rotate a couple for next week.

Lovejoy to start, Hoskins to bench. I'd rest de Chaves and and start Robson, with McNally on the bench for Lloyd, and I'd be tempted to rest Trev for the play offs. In the backs I'd go same again.

JamesC (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 10:11
Thanks all

SirBurger (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 13:17
Quote:
Ozzy3213
I'd rotate a couple for next week.
Lovejoy to start, Hoskins to bench. I'd rest de Chaves and and start Robson, with McNally on the bench for Lloyd, and I'd be tempted to rest Trev for the play offs. In the backs I'd go same again.

Agree with that. Think we want to go hard, but probably also want to protect one or two crucial guys (namely SDC and Trev). I would go:

1. Hobbs-Awoyemi
2. Porecki
3. Chatawama
4. McNally
5. Robson
6. Coman
7. Cowan
8. Koloamatangi (if fit)/Narraway

9. McKibbin
10. Brohpy Clews
11. Cokanasiga
12. Hearn
13. Tikoirotuma
14. Lewington
15. Tonks

Bench: Paice, Court, Franks, De Chaves, Treviranus, Steele, Bell/Marshall

DaveandEl (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 14:05
Asked one of the senior players after the game who his preferred opponents were in the semis.
His reply was "Doncaster, they've got the biggest pack in the league but now the grounds are firming up we can play to our strengths"
On this basis I don't think we will risk a weakened team just in case Ealing beat YC and we come unstuck. The following weekend is now a rest for the players before the semis

orsoncart (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 15:57
All very well to talk about 'resting' but unless Marshall and Robson play next week, they won't have played for four/five weeks, and Franks for five/six. Bell also needs some more game time. Running thru a given up Titans will not be the same as Donny away in a playoff!

Appreciate it is a balancing act, but we have looked rusty after longish breaks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2017 19:18 by orsoncart.

corporalcarrot (IP Logged)
09 April, 2017 22:01
Jersey definitely out of playoffs but as long as it doesn't prevent a proper supporter of Donny or Irish getting a ticket I hope to travel up to Castle Park for the semi final. Hope you think of Jersey as a decent trip pre-season lads.

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

Strom (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 09:24
Quote:
paulm1953
Quote:
Strom

Couldn't disagree more. LI should try to play with the same squad from yesterday's and thrash Doncaster. We would then have a major psychological advantage over Doncaster going into the play offs.

Yes. True.

Assuming none of the too-long benched starting XV of Franks, Robson and others don't
need any game time - which they clearly will.

And, no-one gets injured - especially the cavalry (now too-long rested).

I still think they'll put a lot of juniors out, with the rusty XVs on the bench.

Delicate balance for a dead rubber IMHO.

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 16:59
I do not like the description of the Doncaster match as a dead rubber. London Irish should want to win big against them especially as it looks like we will play them first versus forth in the play offs. I do agree that Franks needs a run out and more game time for Tommy Bell.

Come on you Irish

Paul

Lincs-Exile (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 17:26
I agree Paul giving Donny a good spanking would do us the world of good

Ecksile (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 17:35
Just wondering, it's an unusually long time since Franks last played. Is he injured?

Strom (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 17:49
Quote:
Ecksile
Just wondering, it's an unusually long time since Franks last played. Is he injured?

Considering Tom court got a run out, it is looking that way. Bit of concern there.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 18:09
Quote:
Ecksile

Concussion protocols

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2017 18:15
I meant to add Marshall.

tomthepom (IP Logged)
11 April, 2017 22:27
Quote:
Strom
Donny will be 4th.

unless they beat you, in which case they may be 3rd…

although we'd love to have LI over again 5 weeks after the previous game, it was such a magic day that perhaps we'd never quite achieve anything quite so fantastic; but yes, let's hope we meet again at some stage...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

London Irish Poll

What do you think of this poll?

See results > Submit >>