rugbyunion
Latest News:

Squad for next season
Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 09:49
So here is where we are at in terms of next seasons squad, presuming that my sources are correct regarding all rumoured incomings.

Confirmed leavers
Jason Harris-Wright, Luke Narraway, Darren Allinson

Out of contract, no news
Gerard Ellis, Tom Court, Jerry Sexton, George Robson, Joe Trayfoot, Tevita Koloamatangi,
Matt Kouris, Austin Hay, Jack Cooke, Connor Murphy, Ross Neal, Jacob Atkins

Senior Squad
HK David Paice, Saia Fainga’aa, David Porecki, Todd Gleave
LH Gordon Reid, Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, Tom Smallbone, Harry Elrington
TH Ben Franks, Petrus du Plessis, Lovejoy Chawatama, Ollie Hoskins, Richard Palframan
LK Seb de Chaves, Jim Hamilton, Josh McNally, Jebb Sinclair, Will Lloyd
FL Mike Coman, Blair Cowan, Max Northcote-Green, Conor Gilsenan, Jake Schatz
N8 Ofisa Treviranus, Lasha Lomidze, Senitiki Nayalo

SH Brendan McKibbin, Scott Steele, Ben Meehan
FH James Marshall, Theo Brophy-Clews
CE Johnny Williams, Fergus Mulchrone, Ciaran Hearn, Tom Fowlie
WG Alex Lewington, Aseli Tikoroituma, Topsy Ojo, Ben Ransom
FB Tommy Bell, Greig Tonks

Academy
BR Isaac Curtis-Harris
SH Rory Brand
CE Matt Williams
WG Joe Cokanasiga
FB Tom Parton

Of the players that we still don’t know about, I suspect that Ellis, Court, Sexton and Trayfoot most certainly won’t be here next season. My understanding with Court is that he initially was going to retire but has recently asked for another year, but has been told no as we already have four senior looseheads signed for next season. I like Tom a lot, but I think that is probably the right decision. Reid will be number 1, and DHA has looked very good this season, with Smallbone and a very much improving Elrington backing them up. Koloamatangi I believe may be getting released as he’s spent the majority of his trial period on the sidelines with concussion. Robson is the big one, and sadly my gut feeling is that he is off. I’ve heard nothing, and the tight lippedness of my sources on it worries me as I suspect they’d be singing from the roof tops if he’d re-signed. He was not cheap this year and I suspect that money could well be a factor. Of the academy forwards I hope we extend Jack Cooke’s contract. I was worried about his lack of bulk at the start of the season, but actually he is tough as teak and whilst his carrying in the tight is not brilliant, his defensive workrate is exceptional. I think he is worth developing. Connor Murphy I believe is off to Rotherham and I can’t see Ross Neal being given an extension. Jacob Atkins I hope is kept on, but again I’ve heard nothing.

Of the current U18s, I would expect Josh Basham (LK, N8) and Ben Loader (WG, Fcool smiley to certainly be offered senior academy contracts, with possibly Harry Butler (LK, FL), Ollie Hassell-Collins (WG), Callum Torpey (HK) and Ben Atkins (BR) also joining them.

The glaring place we need a decent signing in the senior squad is at 13 in my opinion. I’m happy with

15. Bell
14. Lewington

12. Williams/Mulchrone
11. Tikoroituma
10. Marshall
9. McKibbin/Meehan

1. Reid
2. Faingaa
3. Franks
4. Hamilton
5. de Chaves
6. Coman
7. Cowan
8. Lomidze

as a starting XV as long as we can sign a good standard, proven Premiership outside centre. It’s not a team that can challenge for top 4 I don’t think, but after Sarries, Wasps and Exeter, the rest of the squads all have their own weaknesses and if we can get off to a decent start then I think we can be competitive in that group from 5th-12th, hopefully avoiding the crippling pressure of being fully in a relegation battle.

Early season fixture list is going to be a big factor I think, as Sale (h), Worcester (a), Gloucester (h) is going to give us a hugely better chance of hitting the ground running than Exeter (a), Saracens (h), Wasps (a) will.

All of this is of course dependent on us successfully negotiating the pray offs!

Re: Squad for next season
RodB (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 10:04
Has the Adam Ashley Cooper rumour fizzled out?

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 10:12
Jack Cooke signed a three year academy plus deal, didn't he? Not sure what that involves though and whether it could be upgraded, given the progress he's made.

Gazzle (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 10:52
I thought I saw a rumour on twitter a couple of days ago about Luke McClean joining us from Treviso - via a Saracens poster quoting Neil Fissler, who is normally quite accurate. I don't think I've seen it mentioned on here though.

MattM (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 11:05
Quote:
Gazzle
I thought I saw a rumour on twitter a couple of days ago about Luke McClean joining us from Treviso - via a Saracens poster quoting Neil Fissler, who is normally quite accurate. I don't think I've seen it mentioned on here though.

The Italy international? Unless he's very cheap it wouldn't be a signing I'd be pursuing, he's 29 and while he has played a number of positions I've never found him very convincing wherever he pops up on the pitch.

Sponsoring Ollie Hassell-Collins for the 2017/18 season.

Usually found tweeting gibberish (via @MattMerritt)

SirBurger (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 11:18
Agreed on McLean - not what we need.

Henry Ford (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 16:17
I thought that we needed centres? would BV not be working with him and see him up close? I will go with his judgment if this is true.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 16:30
Quote:
Ozzy3213
Robson is the big one, and sadly my gut feeling is that he is off. I’ve heard nothing, and the tight lippedness of my sources on it worries me as I suspect they’d be singing from the roof tops if he’d re-signed.

Who is Ozzy's 'Deep Throat'...?(Sm100)

CharlieG (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 17:35
Quote:
Henry Ford
I thought that we needed centres? would BV not be working with him and see him up close? I will go with his judgment if this is true.

Must admit I had forgotten that connection (obviously not thinking clearly).

And yes, if The Doc judges him to be a good fit, then I would go with him.

kiwi02 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 17:35
Luke McLean has started the last 8 International tests for Italy at 12, may offer cover for Johnny Williams

Bazzo (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 19:42
Think this tread is a bit premature myself.

We don't know if DuPlesis, Hamilton, Fainga'a, Schatz, Lomidze, Meehan, Reid are even coming here, never mind McLean. I would say with the obvious inside knowledge of the like of Ozzy and Sir B that they would not be far off the mark, but some of these might only be coming if we get promoted and as far as I am aware, we are still a Championship club.

bigbitty (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 19:44
I reckon Luke would be a great signing.

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 20:23
Quote:
Bazzo
We don't know if DuPlesis, Hamilton, Fainga'a, Schatz, Lomidze, Meehan, Reid are even coming here, never mind McLean. I would say with the obvious inside knowledge of the like of Ozzy and Sir B that they would not be far off the mark, but some of these might only be coming if we get promoted and as far as I am aware, we are still a Championship club.

I do make that point in the opening post Bazzo, this is all dependant on how we fare in the play offs.

paddym (IP Logged)
12 April, 2017 21:32
Quote:
Ozzy3213
So here is where we are at in terms of next seasons squad, presuming that my sources are correct regarding all rumoured incomings.
Confirmed leavers
Jason Harris-Wright, Luke Narraway, Darren Allinson

Out of contract, no news
Gerard Ellis, Tom Court, Jerry Sexton, George Robson, Joe Trayfoot, Tevita Koloamatangi,
Matt Kouris, Austin Hay, Jack Cooke, Connor Murphy, Ross Neal, Jacob Atkins

Senior Squad
HK David Paice, Saia Fainga’aa, David Porecki, Todd Gleave
LH Gordon Reid, Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, Tom Smallbone, Harry Elrington
TH Ben Franks, Petrus du Plessis, Lovejoy Chawatama, Ollie Hoskins, Richard Palframan
LK Seb de Chaves, Jim Hamilton, Josh McNally, Jebb Sinclair, Will Lloyd
FL Mike Coman, Blair Cowan, Max Northcote-Green, Conor Gilsenan, Jake Schatz
N8 Ofisa Treviranus, Lasha Lomidze, Senitiki Nayalo

SH Brendan McKibbin, Scott Steele, Ben Meehan
FH James Marshall, Theo Brophy-Clews
CE Johnny Williams, Fergus Mulchrone, Ciaran Hearn, Tom Fowlie
WG Alex Lewington, Aseli Tikoroituma, Topsy Ojo, Ben Ransom
FB Tommy Bell, Greig Tonks

Academy
BR Isaac Curtis-Harris
SH Rory Brand
CE Matt Williams
WG Joe Cokanasiga
FB Tom Parton

Of the players that we still don’t know about, I suspect that Ellis, Court, Sexton and Trayfoot most certainly won’t be here next season. My understanding with Court is that he initially was going to retire but has recently asked for another year, but has been told no as we already have four senior looseheads signed for next season. I like Tom a lot, but I think that is probably the right decision. Reid will be number 1, and DHA has looked very good this season, with Smallbone and a very much improving Elrington backing them up. Koloamatangi I believe may be getting released as he’s spent the majority of his trial period on the sidelines with concussion. Robson is the big one, and sadly my gut feeling is that he is off. I’ve heard nothing, and the tight lippedness of my sources on it worries me as I suspect they’d be singing from the roof tops if he’d re-signed. He was not cheap this year and I suspect that money could well be a factor. Of the academy forwards I hope we extend Jack Cooke’s contract. I was worried about his lack of bulk at the start of the season, but actually he is tough as teak and whilst his carrying in the tight is not brilliant, his defensive workrate is exceptional. I think he is worth developing. Connor Murphy I believe is off to Rotherham and I can’t see Ross Neal being given an extension. Jacob Atkins I hope is kept on, but again I’ve heard nothing.

Of the current U18s, I would expect Josh Basham (LK, N8) and Ben Loader (WG, Fcool smiley to certainly be offered senior academy contracts, with possibly Harry Butler (LK, FL), Ollie Hassell-Collins (WG), Callum Torpey (HK) and Ben Atkins (BR) also joining them.

The glaring place we need a decent signing in the senior squad is at 13 in my opinion. I’m happy with

15. Bell
14. Lewington

12. Williams/Mulchrone
11. Tikoroituma
10. Marshall
9. McKibbin/Meehan

1. Reid
2. Faingaa
3. Franks
4. Hamilton
5. de Chaves
6. Coman
7. Cowan
8. Lomidze

as a starting XV as long as we can sign a good standard, proven Premiership outside centre. It’s not a team that can challenge for top 4 I don’t think, but after Sarries, Wasps and Exeter, the rest of the squads all have their own weaknesses and if we can get off to a decent start then I think we can be competitive in that group from 5th-12th, hopefully avoiding the crippling pressure of being fully in a relegation battle.

Early season fixture list is going to be a big factor I think, as Sale (h), Worcester (a), Gloucester (h) is going to give us a hugely better chance of hitting the ground running than Exeter (a), Saracens (h), Wasps (a) will.

All of this is of course dependent on us successfully negotiating the pray offs!

Court actually wanted to retire before the start of current season but was told no so I find it unlikely that he has asked for an extension. Jack Cooke and Ollie Hassell-Collins not up to Prem rugby. Cooke can't even make the Wild Geese.

SirBurger (IP Logged)
13 April, 2017 00:28
Quote:
Bazzo

No inside knowledge my end. And not sure where I claim to have any!

Paul_D (IP Logged)
13 April, 2017 18:42
Quote:
paddym

Court actually wanted to retire before the start of current season but was told no so I find it unlikely that he has asked for an extension. Jack Cooke and Ollie Hassell-Collins not up to Prem rugby. Cooke can't even make the Wild Geese.

But he's good enough to get called up for Ireland U19s international duty.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
13 April, 2017 20:21
Quote:
Paul_D
Quote:
paddym

But he's good enough to get called up for Ireland U19s international duty.

I was told by some Wild Geese stalwart supporters, that LI do not let any of their current squad or academy lads play for them this season, this could be why they do not feature in the WG side.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
13 April, 2017 20:59
Cooke was very impressive in Ireland under 19's win last week and surely you can't write him off in terms of premiership rugby just yet?! Plenty of time to beef up and could be a very decent player

Aiden1011 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2017 23:44
I think Ollie Hassell-Collins has been injured the whole season

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2017 06:44
Quote:
Aiden1011
I think Ollie Hassell-Collins has been injured the whole season

He was excellent last season in our successful u18 team whilst actually being an u17. I would hope that is taken into account when deciding on his future and he's at least put on an academy plus deal and monitored as others have been.

asteps07 (IP Logged)
29 April, 2017 20:31
[www.espn.co.uk]

Link to espn website which states that du plesis played his last game at Alianz park before heading to us. I can't remember if this player was confirmed or not, apologies if he was and this is irrelevant info.

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
29 April, 2017 21:53
As far as I know nothing has been announced, but this and other signings will be announced if we get promoted.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

HMRH (IP Logged)
30 April, 2017 06:36
Hamilton isn't coming to Irish - he's retiring, according to The Rugby Paper at least. Starting to feel nervous about play offs too

jekyll (IP Logged)
01 May, 2017 20:45
Some Donny fans reckon Andy Bulamakua has signed for us

01 May, 2017 20:52
Would certainly take his brother Junior after the Army Navy game the other day. Andy's pretty decent as well tbf and could do a job as a budget option. Not sure Tommy Bell gave him the best welcome to the club (if true) the other week though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2017 20:56 by Margin_Walker.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
01 May, 2017 21:13
He didn't have the best game against us yesterday but he didn't get a chance to be honest against our pack and dominant defence. But from what else I've seen this season he has been excellent particularly in the game against Yorkshire that was on t.v. Would welcome it with open arms

04 May, 2017 15:56
Junior Bulumakau leaving Glasgow at the end of the season interestingly. No destination given. Didn't really break through there, but based on the last televised game against a bunch of sailors, he'd be worth a punt.

orsoncart (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 16:36
If Hamilton isn't coming, and if Robson isn't staying, then the 2nd row looks underpowered to me, if we make the step up

De Chaves, Sinclair, McNally and Lloyd

M51 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 16:43
Junior was awesome at Twickenham and worth a trial..

HMRH (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 20:48
Quote:
orsoncart
If Hamilton isn't coming, and if Robson isn't staying, then the 2nd row looks underpowered to me, if we make the step up

Yes second that

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 22:23
Quote:
HMRH
Quote:
orsoncart

Yes second that

I'd agree that I would also like to see another proven Premiership standard lock in there.

Hugo.LI (IP Logged)
04 May, 2017 22:30
Yep De chaves is a nailed on starter with jebb and Llyod able to do a good job as squad players and Mcnally has potential to progress. Need another nailed on starter who is proven at a high level

SirBurger (IP Logged)
05 May, 2017 07:35
There were rumours of Filo Paulo as well, but not sure if he is of the required standard or more of a squad-filler type player.

05 May, 2017 07:42
Lomidze is rumoured too and plays a bit at lock. Like you say though, not sure they are real frontline AP options there.

Henry Ford (IP Logged)
05 May, 2017 08:43
Top class locks would be very rare. We seem to have to have adopted an approach of buying players like SDC, Lloyd and McNally who have real potential and mixing them with experience like Robson and Jeb. I think this is the right approach. SDC especially has the potential to be prem quality and so do the others. We will find out when and if we get there. We are not going to attract a top international to us unless we pay silly money and not sure that we can afford to.

HMRH (IP Logged)
05 May, 2017 09:06
SDC is already Prem quality as he was playing for Leicester in their AP side

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
05 May, 2017 09:11
We'd do well to pick up slightly older heads from top sides like Kitchener from Leicester (although i think he is retiring)....worked well when we got skivs.

GHA (IP Logged)
05 May, 2017 11:09
'We are not going to attract a top international to us unless we pay silly money and not sure that we can afford to.'

Maybe we can't afford not to..?

'Worked well when we got skivs'

And got relegated?

05 May, 2017 11:26
Quote:
GHA
'We are not going to attract a top international to us unless we pay silly money and not sure that we can afford to.'
Maybe we can't afford not to..?

'Worked well when we got skivs'

And got relegated?

4 years later when he was injured.

AlecW (IP Logged)
05 May, 2017 11:41
GHA, I think you need to recharge your memory banks. It is completely unfair to imply that Skivs's quality (or not) was in some way a factor in our relegation, IMNVHO.

George injured his shoulder against Harlequins in the preseason of 2015-16, our relegation season. He played on into the regular season on a mix of adrenalin and painkillers. His last match was on 7th November, which was his 4th AP match of the season (out of 22 in the season as a whole).

By December 2015, it still wasn't right and he had major surgery. He never played for Irish again because this injury ended his career.

IAE, one player does not get a team relegated and there is no doubt that many in the squad (including George) were very much of Premiership standard, such as Symons, Franks, Paice, Court, Cowan in the forwards alone...

Trouble was ... our team (i.e. the 23 we fielded on matchdays) were not good enough as a whole, whatever the quality of the individuals.

GHA (IP Logged)
05 May, 2017 12:09
Missed the /s out regarding Skivs, apologies winking smiley

GHA (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 15:22
Anyone know where Toby Flood's off to? Apparently Toulouse have released him from the last year of his contract

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 15:27
Quote:
GHA
Anyone know where Toby Flood's off to? Apparently Toulouse have released him from the last year of his contract

Rumor is that he could be going back to Newcastle.

But as for us, I think we'll be announcing a lot of extensions and new signings in the few days after the home final leg - assuming we go up!!!

ardoyneirish (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 15:28
Quote:
GHA

Back to Newcastle or maybe Sale I reckon...

Don't think he is any better than what we have in Marshall or Bell, plus he would be after a big chunk of cash I think

Griff (IP Logged)
09 May, 2017 15:30
Quote:
ardoyneirish
Quote:
GHA

Back to Newcastle or maybe Sale I reckon...

Don't think he is any better than what we have in Marshall or Bell, plus he would be after a big chunk of cash I think

The rumour (at least on the Egg Chasers' Rugby Podcast) is that Sale are signing Jimmy O'Connor as a 10... so they wouldn't need Flood.

HMRH (IP Logged)
10 May, 2017 10:05
He's signed for Falcons

10 May, 2017 14:38
Quote:
jekyll
Some Donny fans reckon Andy Bulamakua has signed for us

It seems not. Just announced as having re-signed with donny

Aiden1011 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 15:59
Just seen on Connor Murphys instagram now that he said 'time for a change and a new challenge' so he will be leaving

waltham (IP Logged)
11 May, 2017 22:23
Quote:
Aiden1011
Just seen on Connor Murphys instagram now that he said 'time for a change and a new challenge' so he will be leaving

(Sm136)

stmky (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 15:04
Hi guys! On Saturday at 12-00, your new player Lasha Lomidze will play in the final of the Continental Shield in Edinburgh as part of the Krasny Yar in the derby against the Enisei.

Link to online broadcast
http://rugger.info/news/13978

SirBurger (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 17:59
Quote:
stmky
Hi guys! On Saturday at 12-00, your new player Lasha Lomidze will play in the final of the Continental Shield in Edinburgh as part of the Krasny Yar in the derby against the Enisei.
Link to online broadcast

Thank you for that. How do you think he will go for us? Is there a reason he isn't starting?

stmky (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 19:31
Quote:
SirBurger

Thank you for that. How do you think he will go for us? Is there a reason he isn't starting?

Hard to say. He is a player of the Georgian national team, and they have a very big competition in the scrum. In the Krasny Yar he is for a short time April-May for the games of the Continental Shield.

waltham (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 22:15
Quote:
stmky
Link to online broadcast

(Sm128)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net