rugbyunion
Latest News:

Bish bash bosh Lions
FrTed (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 06:15
If news reports today are correct Gatland and his merry selection crew are going for his usual get them big and bash them up approach in The Lions selection. Also looks like Hartley may get the nod. Maybe credit for playing on the front foot but I cant help thinking the ABs will soon snuff that approach out with skill sets second to none.

Predictions are No George Ford, no J Joseph and no Joe Launchbury; the latter omission being foolhardy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 06:16 by FrTed.

Re: Bish bash bosh Lions
HMRH (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 06:28
Hooker is another tough choice although I'd pick Owens, George and Hartley but suspect DH could be divisive so Best would go as a "better" tourist although I think Hartley is the better player (cue disagreements)

Watson would at least give us an ex LI player

Anyone other LI folk going over to NZ to watch the tour?

Nick4219 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 06:35
If Launchbury isn't on that plane then it's a real travesty!

Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 07:02
Disagree on Launchbury. Lock is a really competitive area for selection, hell, Launchbury isn't even a guaranteed starter for England if everyone is fit. It is an area where a number of top class players will have to be left out, as there is a list of probably 8 or 9 who could go, but only 4 or 5 who will.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 07:10
You have got to score tries to beat NZ, and if Joseph is left behind it would be complete idiocy by Gatland, as he is clearly the most skillful and best attacking centre in Northern Hemisphere rugby.

Likewise with Launch - his grafting and defence is second to none and would be sorely missed.

If Roberts is selected it would be a joke.

Nick4219 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 07:16
Launchbury may not have been initially first choice for England, but, over the tournament I feel he was England's best player behind Farrell and could have been awarded player of the tournament so has more than justified his Lions credentials.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 07:26
I'm pretty sure most that should go will end up going there will be plenty of injuries on this tour it is a crazy schedule designed for commercial reasons and not for player welfare

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

HMRH (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 07:56
Can't see Roberts gling

Strom (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 09:44
I find it hard to take the selections seriously. It seems to me to be always Wales centric.

Good for Scotland though : their players will all be fit for their own AIs as they weren't involved in the Lions.

DrV'sHairyCraic (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 10:05
As stated, typical Gatland.

I don't know why he keeps playing to a formula which he's never made successful.

Launchberry was one of the best players in the 6N and deserves a slot for that alone. Add on his club form and he should be one of the 1st on the list.

As for JJ. Did the coaches not see how he carved up defences? I know it won't be so easy out there but no one else can do what he does.

Ford's omission (if he is) is probably understandable given other options and his poor defence.

Jamiepep1 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 11:10
Launchberry would feel very hard done by especially given his form in the 6N, kruis is only just coming back from injury and Itoje has played as a 6 for England.

JJ being left out is criminal. There isn't a 13 in the four nations that comes close to him. His ability to beat defenders in limited space sets him apart. imagine the damage he could do with sexton/farrell combining to put him in space.

dooj106 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 20:03
Agreed that Launchbury can feel hard done by. Having said that it is a very competitive position and there are lots of other 2nd rows who are just as good. Other players like Itoje will be ahead of him because they can play multiple positions and thus cover injuries.

JJ not going is outrageous IMHO. He is the best outside centre in the northern hemisphere.

waltham (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 21:56
Yup...wot most said

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 07:37
I saw on another site that Launchbury has changed his name to Llaunchbury & has been selected after all.

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Shawshank (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 07:58
It would be pretty poor if the Scots only get their predicted 2 members of the party - yet Wales get 10.

If the likes of Roberts, Biggar and Halfpenny in the squad I really can't be bothered to follow the tour as it will be obvious that the selection for the test team is going to be biased towards the Welshmen.

When did Wales last beat the AB's btw...?

Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 08:00
Scotland beat Wales by 16 points.

Predicted tourists:

Wales 14
Scotland 1

Joke

Live in West Wales, work in England, supporting Scotland and London Irish

HMRH (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 08:18
Really? Come on

Hogg is a shoe in and possible places for Nel and Seymour. Maybe an argument for Taylor in the centre but who else for Scotland walks onto that plane?

Scotland we good in some games and woeful against England and I suspect that has cost them. Equally JJ and Launchbury were nullified by the Irish so would have been pushed back, much as though I'd happily take both.

Whoever goes I can't wait - bloomin love the Lions

Nick4219 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 08:45
I too like the prospect of watching the Lions, but, how can 10 players from the 5th best Six Nations team get 10 spots in a 39 strong squad?

19 April, 2017 08:50
Quote:
HMRH
Really? Come on

Scotland we good in some games and woeful against England and I suspect that has cost them. Equally JJ and Launchbury were nullified by the Irish so would have been pushed back, much as though I'd happily take both.

If you're going to can people for 1 poor game, it's going to be a pretty empty flight.

By that logic, North will be sat at home as he had 4 very poor games followed by one blinder. I bet he'll be there tho.

Shawshank (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 09:37
If Gatland follows HMRH's bizarre selectorial thoughts, and discounts a player due to one poor game in the 6N, then Elliot Daly should be nowhere near selection as he had an absolute mare compared to JJ in Dublin...

HMRH (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 10:27
not really - I think some players have weaknesses that were being assessed. Happy to be wrong as I'm not, after all,an international selector.

Whoever goes will get my support, despite a very hard schedule and ludicrous timing nothing would give me greater pleasure than watching any Lions team even 15 Scots put a series win over the New Zealanders

Damn it I even want Australianto beat NZ

Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 10:42
So, if Alun W-J isn't going to be captain, surely Jonny Gray is a better choice?

Live in West Wales, work in England, supporting Scotland and London Irish

Strom (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 11:46
From The Guardian.... no Launchbury !!!

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/4211383f88ceb031f5f737ebd452fde3d525e352/50_0_1713_1028/master/1713.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=2eac6138dd516a76f3847bb0c311f98b

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/58b1078fc96a0a82d50d3edd0ba681a30bf23d86/51_0_1680_1008/master/1680.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=9ded93a87211caf2c4a8cc1b381cb79d

19 April, 2017 11:48
British and Irish Lions 2017 squad:

Forwards:

Rory Best (Ireland)
Dan Cole (England)
Taulupe Faletau (Wales)
Tadhg Furlong (Ireland)
Jamie George (England)
Iain Henderson (Ireland)
Maro Itoje (England)
Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)
George Kruis (England)
Courtney Lawes (England)
Joe Marler (England)
Jack McGrath (Ireland)
Ross Moriarty (Wales)
Sean O'Brien (Ireland)
Peter O'Mahony (Ireland)
Ken Owens (Wales)
Kyle Sinckler (England)
CJ Stander (Ireland)
Justin Tipuric (Wales)
Billy Vunipola (England)
Mako Vunipola (England)
Sam Warburton (Wales)

Backs:

Dan Biggar (Wales)
Elliot Daly (England)
Jonathan Davies (Wales)
Owen Farrell (England)
Leigh Halfpenny (Wales)
Robbie Henshaw (Ireland)
Stuart Hogg (Scotland)
Jonathan Joseph (England)
Conor Murray (Ireland)
George North (Wales)
Jack Nowell (England)
Jared Payne (Ireland)
Jonathan Sexton (Ireland)
Tommy Seymour (Scotland)
Ben Te'o (England)
Anthony Watson (England)
Rhys Webb (Wales)
Liam Williams (Wales)
Ben Youngs (England)

paulm1953 (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 15:22
I can't believe it Wales finished 5th (second bottom) in the 6 Nations and 12 of them are selected for the Lions squad. A Joke!!

As a Scotsman I thought the Gray brothers, Russell and Watson would have made the squad

x_ile (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 15:54
I've no idea how selection of players for the Lions works.

One thing I do know is that the players in a team must get on with each other. Assembling a team of the world's best players in their respective positions will not necessarily give you the world's best team if there is friction between the component parts.

It may be that such an assembled team will gel over time. The Lions have no such luxury - just days to become a team to take on the ABs who have been together for months or even years.

In many ways, it is understandable that Gatland will go with the players he knows. Beyond that, he will have to hope that he and the coaches can very quickly find the right blend of players to become a competitive unit.

Just my opinion like.

Finno (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 16:37
It does seem a little unfair that Wales get so many, but Gatland did the same last time around, so we can't really be surprised.

However, there is only one pick i really disagree with, and that's Halfpenny, he's had a@#$%&season and is only a shadow of his former self! Brown, Zebo or Kearney, would have provided better cover.

Bazzo (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 17:01
Halfpenny is one of the best goal kickers in the world. He gives that option that others do not. Farrell would be first choice kicker, Halfpenny then Sexton. Daly gives good long range options as well. Kicks under pressure can win these games

LLL (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 17:02
Quote:
x_ile
I've no idea how selection of players for the Lions works.
One thing I do know is that the players in a team must get on with each other. Assembling a team of the world's best players in their respective positions will not necessarily give you the world's best team if there is friction between the component parts.

It may be that such an assembled team will gel over time. The Lions have no such luxury - just days to become a team to take on the ABs who have been together for months or even years.

In many ways, it is understandable that Gatland will go with the players he knows. Beyond that, he will have to hope that he and the coaches can very quickly find the right blend of players to become a competitive unit.

Just my opinion like.

I agree with that concept too.

Finno (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 17:17
Quote:
Bazzo
Halfpenny is one of the best goal kickers in the world. He gives that option that others do not. Farrell would be first choice kicker, Halfpenny then Sexton. Daly gives good long range options as well. Kicks under pressure can win these games

You won't get your place in either side just because you are a good kicker, you need to offer more, and he's been poor this season!

Anyway there is plenty of kicking cover with over 80% conversion rates, in Sexton, Farrell and Bigger!

Jonny_C (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:27
Well, I hope Biggar is a dirt tracker. Not too special during the 6N. Seemed more interested in bending the ref's ear. Same as Alun Whinge-Jones.

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 21:56
Of all the players, surprised that Halfpenny, Davies, Wyn Jones and Dan Biggar made the squad. I feel that there should be more irish players in the mix and Scots. If they can get a result all the talk will all be academic I suppose.

Bohemiansingles@yahoo.com
631-563-9892

TAFKA hH (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 08:20
As someone wrote elsewhere. Gatland has secured his job as Welsh coach for the next four years

HMRH (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 11:05
Slightly pedantic but it's Alun-Wyn Jones not Alun Wyn-Jones so his surname is Jones

LI Bohemian (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 12:32
Quote:
HMRH
Slightly pedantic but it's Alun-Wyn Jones not Alun Wyn-Jones so his surname is Jones

My apologies, either way he is deemed to have played better in the 6N than Lunchburry, Jonni Gray and devan Tonar.

HMRH (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 17:03
😂😂

Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
26 April, 2017 12:44
Three Kiwis, a South African, a Tongan and an Australian walk into a bar, and the barman says,"congratulations on being selected for the British and Irish Lions, guys!"

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

26 April, 2017 16:16
Quote:
Foggy-Balla
Three Kiwis, a South African, a Tongan and an Australian walk into a bar, and the barman says,"congratulations on being selected for the British and Irish Lions, guys!"

30 South Sea Islanders walk into a bar. The barman says "Congratulations on your All Blacks call up"

...and it goes on for most nations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net